Messenger Service

newbie

Hi,

If I stop the Messenger Service will this mean that I cannot use the
messaging program that tells me when people are connected to the internet (I
think this is the replacement for NetMeeting but not sure)?

Hi,

Do not stop the messenger service, and no it's not the same thing as
messenger that you are using. If you are having trouble with popups, turn on
the internal firewall.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I stop the Messenger Service will this mean that I cannot use the
> messaging program that tells me when people are connected to the internet
(I
> think this is the replacement for NetMeeting but not sure)?

The real question is why?
There are good and bad reasons to stop Messenger Service.
A bad reason is to stop Messenger Service ads.
That may stop the ads but the real issue of an unprotected computer
remains.
If that is your intent, get a firewall.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I stop the Messenger Service will this mean that I cannot use the
> messaging program that tells me when people are connected to the
internet (I
> think this is the replacement for NetMeeting but not sure)?

newbie

why shouldn't I stop the messenger service? isn't this just used for sending
messages across a network? I only have one PC
> Hi,
>
> Do not stop the messenger service, and no it's not the same thing as
> messenger that you are using. If you are having trouble with popups, turn
on
> the internal firewall.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I stop the Messenger Service will this mean that I cannot use the
> > messaging program that tells me when people are connected to the
internet
> (I
> > think this is the replacement for NetMeeting but not sure)?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> why shouldn't I stop the messenger service? isn't this just used for
> sending
> messages across a network? I only have one PC

Yes stopping it is OK, and that is the purpose of Messenger Service. So, if
you are not on a network, stop it, then disable it.

Greetings --

The problem is that turning off the Messenger Service does _not_
block the wide open TCP and UDP ports that the spammers used to
deliver the spam to the Messenger Service for display. With the
Messenger Service disabled, those spam deliveries are still
continuing, but they're simply not being displayed. It's like pulling
the battery out of a noisy smoke detector to silence it, rather than
looking for and eliminating the source of the smoke that set it off.

The danger of this "treat the symptoms" approach has been more
than aptly demonstrated by the advent of the W32.Blaster.Worm, the
W32.Welchia.Worm, The W32.Sasser. Worm, and their variants. These
worms attack PCs via some of the very same open ports that the
Messenger Service uses. Need I mention how many hundreds of thousands
of PCs have been infected by these worms since last August? To date,
according to my records, I have personally responded to over 1000
Usenet posts concerning Blaster/Welchia/Sasser infections since last
August, and I can't possibly have seen and replied to every one that
there's been posted in this period.

Now, how many of those infected with Blaster/Welchia had turned
off the Messenger Service to hide spam? I can't say, and I don't
think anyone can. What I can say with absolutely certainty is that if
they'd all had a properly configured firewall in place, they would
have blocked the annoying spam _and_ been safe from a great many other
dangers, particularly Blaster/Welchia/Sasser.

Of course, like the Messenger Service Buffer Overrun threat, there
is also a patch available to fix a PC's vulnerability to
Blaster/Welchia, which was available to the general public a full
month before the first instances of Blaster/Welchia "in the wild." If
people learned to stay aware of computer security issues and updated
their systems as needed, a whole lot of grief could have been avoided.
The problem with relying upon patches, however, is that they're
sometimes not available until _after_ the exploit has become
wide-spread. Antivirus software suffers from this same weakness; it's
simply not always possible to provide protection from threats that
have not yet been developed and/or discovered. Both approaches, while
important, are re-active in nature.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.
The weak link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer user.
All too many people have bought into the various PC/software
manufacturers marketing claims of easy computing. They believe that
their computer should be no harder to use than a toaster oven; they
have neither the inclination or desire to learn how to safely use
their computer. All to few people keep their antivirus software
current, install patches in a timely manner, or stop to really think
about that cutesy link they're about to click. Therefore, I (and
anyone who's thought about the matter) always recommend the use of a
firewall. Naturally, properly configuring a firewall requires an
investment of time and effort that most people won't give, but even
the default settings of the firewall will offer more automatic
protection than is currently present.

Now, as for the Messenger Service itself, it generally doesn't
hurt any thing to turn it off, although I never recommend doing so.
Granted, the service is of little or no use to most home PC users
(Although I've had uses it on my home LAN.), and turning off
unnecessary services is part of any standard computer security
protocol. However, I feel that the potential benefits of leaving the
Messenger Service enabled out-weigh any as-yet-theoretical risks that
it presents. It will indirectly let the computer user know that
his/her firewall has failed by displaying the Messenger Service spam.
Think of it as the canary that miners used to take down into the
mineshafts with them. There are others, of course, who disagree with
me on this point and advise turning off the service because it isn't
needed; you'll have to make up your own mind here.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I stop the Messenger Service will this mean that I cannot use the
> messaging program that tells me when people are connected to the
internet (I
> think this is the replacement for NetMeeting but not sure)?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer

http://www.updatexp.com/messenger_service_spam.html
Messenger Service Spam - End It Now!

"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

> "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > why shouldn't I stop the messenger service? isn't this just used for
> > sending
> > messages across a network? I only have one PC
>
> Yes stopping it is OK, and that is the purpose of Messenger Service. So, if
> you are not on a network, stop it, then disable it.

>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote
>> Hi,
>> Do not stop the messenger service, and no it's not the same thing as
>> messenger that you are using. If you are having trouble with popups, turn
>on the internal firewall.

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote:
>why shouldn't I stop the messenger service? isn't this just used for sending
>messages across a network? I only have one PC

Just go ahead and turn the darned thing off. You don't need it.
Maybe Microsoft collects info with it, I don't know. You could even
get pop-ups through it like he says. It has nothing to do with
Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.

Windows Messenger - that's another one you might want to disable if
you use MSN Messenger anyway. Windows Messenger is always on & always
tells people you are online if you are online, Despite un-checking
boxes telling it not to load, and also in
add-remove\windows-components... it still stays on. You have to do
it another way.

....D.

P.S. Recommendation - get Yahoo Messenger & run it with MSN
Messenger. They'll work independent of each other.