Setting a larger cache

Hi, I've been reading a book and it says that you can speed up your browser by making the cache bigger. My pc has 512mb. What I don't understand is the settings listing the mb amount next to the slide bar. What amount should I put in there?
--
New, dumb but not ignorant.
1 answer Last reply

    "Cwappy At" <CwappyAt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've been reading a book and it says that you can speed up your
    browser by making the cache bigger. My pc has 512mb. What I don't understand
    is the settings listing the mb amount next to the slide bar. What amount
    should I put in there?
    > --
    > New, dumb but not ignorant.

    First, the cache is on your hard drive not in your installed RAM.

    Second, use some salt with what you read.

    What the internet cache does is store copies of the web pages you have used.
    If the page has not change since the last time you were at the web site, the
    page is loaded from your cache instead of downloaded from the web site.
    Since the web page is on your hard drive, retrieving it from the drive may
    be faster than downloading it from the web site.

    All of the above depends upon the speed of your internet download
    connection.

    If your use a dial up connection, a cache size of 30 to 50 Mb is reasonable.
    However, if the site you are going to has frequent changes, the stored copy
    will not be used. In this case, your browser speed will not increase.

    If you have high speed connection, a cache size of about 10 Mb is
    reasonable. With a high speed connection you would likely not notice the
    difference between the faster loading from your hard drive and downloading
    the web page.

    In Internet Explorer, Tools, General tab you can click on Delete Files to
    clear you cache.

    don

Cache Microsoft Windows XP