software installation and users' start menus

I'm new to XP and a bit confused about installing new programs on a home PC
set up for four users. Installing Office 2003 put the programs on the start
menus for all four users, which is what I wanted. However, different things
seem to happen when installing other applications, presumably because they
are older and not specifically designed for multi-user setup. Sometimes a
new program only shows up in one user's start menu. Then, to get it to
appear in all four, I have manually moved the shortcut from the specific
user's start menu folder to the "All Users" one. Is this OK? Does it have
any bad side-effects? Is there a better way of achieving what I want?

To get all programs to appear in the start menus of all users, presumably
all shortcuts could be moved to "All Users". But what about the recently
used programs? Is there a specific folder for these? Are there any other
start menu shortcuts or folders that should not be moved?

Any explanations and advice will be welcome!
Paul
2 answers Last reply
More about software installation users start menus

    Hi Paul,

    Yes, this has been an issue since home users were introduced to a true user
    environment. I even wrote a page about it here:
    http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm

    What you are doing is fine, though you may find that some programs will need
    to be installed for each user. Moving the shortcuts, even if they have been
    used, should have no affect on their ability to open the program (the .lnk
    file is dependent on it's target, not on where it is located).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Paul" <none> wrote in message news:ugv5dPbXEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > I'm new to XP and a bit confused about installing new programs on a home
    PC
    > set up for four users. Installing Office 2003 put the programs on the
    start
    > menus for all four users, which is what I wanted. However, different
    things
    > seem to happen when installing other applications, presumably because they
    > are older and not specifically designed for multi-user setup. Sometimes a
    > new program only shows up in one user's start menu. Then, to get it to
    > appear in all four, I have manually moved the shortcut from the specific
    > user's start menu folder to the "All Users" one. Is this OK? Does it have
    > any bad side-effects? Is there a better way of achieving what I want?
    >
    > To get all programs to appear in the start menus of all users, presumably
    > all shortcuts could be moved to "All Users". But what about the recently
    > used programs? Is there a specific folder for these? Are there any other
    > start menu shortcuts or folders that should not be moved?
    >
    > Any explanations and advice will be welcome!
    > Paul

    Thanks, Rick, this is a vey helpful link.
    Paul

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Yes, this has been an issue since home users were introduced to a true
    user
    > environment. I even wrote a page about it here:
    > http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm
    >
    > What you are doing is fine, though you may find that some programs will
    need
    > to be installed for each user. Moving the shortcuts, even if they have
    been
    > used, should have no affect on their ability to open the program (the .lnk
    > file is dependent on it's target, not on where it is located).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Paul" <none> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to XP and a bit confused about installing new programs on a home
    > PC
    > > set up for four users. Installing Office 2003 put the programs on the
    > start
    > > menus for all four users, which is what I wanted. However, different
    > things
    > > seem to happen when installing other applications, presumably because
    they
    > > are older and not specifically designed for multi-user setup. Sometimes
    > > new program only shows up in one user's start menu. Then, to get it to
    > > appear in all four, I have manually moved the shortcut from the specific
    > > user's start menu folder to the "All Users" one. Is this OK? Does it
    have
    > > any bad side-effects? Is there a better way of achieving what I want?
    > >
    > > To get all programs to appear in the start menus of all users,
    presumably
    > > all shortcuts could be moved to "All Users". But what about the recently
    > > used programs? Is there a specific folder for these? Are there any other
    > > start menu shortcuts or folders that should not be moved?
    > >
    > > Any explanations and advice will be welcome!
    > > Paul

Start Menu Software Windows XP