software installation and users' start menus

Paul

Splendid

I'm new to XP and a bit confused about installing new programs on a home PC
set up for four users. Installing Office 2003 put the programs on the start
menus for all four users, which is what I wanted. However, different things
seem to happen when installing other applications, presumably because they
are older and not specifically designed for multi-user setup. Sometimes a
new program only shows up in one user's start menu. Then, to get it to
appear in all four, I have manually moved the shortcut from the specific
user's start menu folder to the "All Users" one. Is this OK? Does it have
any bad side-effects? Is there a better way of achieving what I want?

To get all programs to appear in the start menus of all users, presumably
all shortcuts could be moved to "All Users". But what about the recently
used programs? Is there a specific folder for these? Are there any other
start menu shortcuts or folders that should not be moved?

Any explanations and advice will be welcome!
Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, this has been an issue since home users were introduced to a true user
environment. I even wrote a page about it here:
http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/xpsware.htm

What you are doing is fine, though you may find that some programs will need
to be installed for each user. Moving the shortcuts, even if they have been
used, should have no affect on their ability to open the program (the .lnk
file is dependent on it's target, not on where it is located).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Paul" <none> wrote in message news:ugv5dPbXEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I'm new to XP and a bit confused about installing new programs on a home
PC
> set up for four users. Installing Office 2003 put the programs on the
start
> menus for all four users, which is what I wanted. However, different
things
> seem to happen when installing other applications, presumably because they
> are older and not specifically designed for multi-user setup. Sometimes a
> new program only shows up in one user's start menu. Then, to get it to
> appear in all four, I have manually moved the shortcut from the specific
> user's start menu folder to the "All Users" one. Is this OK? Does it have
> any bad side-effects? Is there a better way of achieving what I want?
>
> To get all programs to appear in the start menus of all users, presumably
> all shortcuts could be moved to "All Users". But what about the recently
> used programs? Is there a specific folder for these? Are there any other
> start menu shortcuts or folders that should not be moved?
>
> Any explanations and advice will be welcome!
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

Thanks, Rick, this is a vey helpful link.
Paul