Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need advise on MMORPG

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2007 4:52:14 PM

I am a casual gamer and I do have WoW. My primary mode of playing is solo. After some time, and even after release of the expansion pack, WoW lost interest for me, because it is all the same, and I want something new. I like explorations and new visual, but in expansion pack in order to get into new territories (Outland?) you need to be lvl 58, and my highest character I ever made is lvl 42 (again I am a casual MMORPG gamer and do not want to put THAT much time into WoW).

So can somebody recommend good (or best) MMORPG other than WoW, which is good for solo and exploring, and which has comparable or better graphics than WoW and which is good for solo?

Also, any other MMORPG coming soon that may have potential to be WoW killer?

More about : advise mmorpg

February 2, 2007 5:10:47 PM

Have you ever taken a look at Guild Wars? There's always D&D online, LOTR online (is that out yet?), some others..

As for WoW killer... it will never happen, I wish it would, as to let all Blizzard employees to work on Starcraft 2., i'm patiently waiting.
February 2, 2007 6:23:38 PM

Quote:
Have you ever taken a look at Guild Wars?

I did try it, but it is definetely a team game, not for soloing.
Quote:
There's always D&D online

How is it for solo? Plus I the reviews are not really good...
Quote:
LOTR online (is that out yet?)

I thought not...
Quote:
some others...

But what others? There is Everquest 2, but what I read about it is that you practically have to team up. This it is not for me...
Quote:
As for WoW killer... it will never happen, I wish it would, as to let all Blizzard employees to work on Starcraft 2., i'm patiently waiting.

Yes, another RTS from Blizzard would be supremely nice! Right now there is only one great hardcore-like game that is not 5 years old: W40K (with all expansions) and I start getting bored with it as well (though not to the level of being bored with WoW). Though Starcraft 2 will not that much different from W40K in terms of fluff ;) 
Related resources
February 3, 2007 6:36:23 AM

Having lost my love of wow, I went back to my roots of standard rpgs and the like. Im really enjoying oblivion currently, as it has that mmo feel to it, but is much superior for solo play.

The problem currently is that mmo's arent much different/better than wow unfortunately. Im trying to hold a moderate hope for age of conan, but at this time, all of them are grindfests, most of them require large groups for any endgame content, and some require groups for ALL content. Lets not even touch pvp.

My suggestion is to still haunt the ventrillo server of the guild youve enjoyed yourself the most with, and go the route of a vampiric assassin on oblivion, or a similar solo play game.
February 5, 2007 11:38:38 AM

I was also going to suggest Oblivion, it's big and fun, but singleplayer, since you only like soloing, I don't see why you wouldn't like it.. I hope you got a decent comp. :p 
February 6, 2007 6:19:54 PM

Avoid D&D Online - teaming is obligatory.

I did a lot of Guild Wars solo with the computer NPC helpers and an occasional pick-up group, and I hear the NPC AI in the new expansion (Nightfall) is better as well. Might be worth a look, especially since there is no monthly fee

New MMO just hit the shelves called Vanguard - don't know much about it from a play standpoint, but it is supposed to be gorgeous.

Anyway, good luck in your quest - keep results posted!
February 7, 2007 7:32:18 AM

Eve online? It's space ships tho so maybe not yur bag. You can get a 2 week free no obligation trial tho. Give me a shout if you need a code.
February 7, 2007 3:51:27 PM

I love space games, Tachyon was good.. I downloaded Eve after hearing alot about it, it looked good, I started in the tutorial, was in it for an hour, I uninstalled it, haven't tried since, maybe some day I will try it again and figure it out.
February 9, 2007 9:47:16 PM

Eve online sucks for solo PVE, maybe it could be decent PVP solo, but the game really only shines with massive PVP.

I was thinking City of Heroes, but since it became "City of Nerfs" or "City of Developers Who Can't Balance Their Game And Therefore Nerf Everything Until It Is No More Fun", I can't really recommend it.

Not entirely sure why you got a hankering for a solo MMO... Though if you are looking for a game with fun exploration and a vaguely MMO feel without the other players try Freelancer. Kind of an older title but it is still a TON of fun and if you open a multiplayer server, you can easily make your way around solo and there is absolutely no shortage of things to explore.

As others also mentioned, Oblivion is great for exploration and solo play.

There is a new MMO that is being developed that I have some hopes for called Pirates of the Burning Sea. Could be good, could be mediocre, but I have some hopes for it.
February 10, 2007 4:34:57 PM

Quote:
Not entirely sure why you got a hankering for a solo MMO...

Was thinking the same myself. Why would you want to solo play a Massively Multiplayer Online game? It's defeating the purpose. Casual gamer or not.

Back to the OPs response about Eve online, yeah it has a steeeeep learning curve but I've been playing 1yr 3 months now. Once you understand the basics it's a great game.

And Info you're right as well. PVE is dire but then Eve is a PVP oriented game. Solo being just as much fun as massive fleet ops altho in saying that fleet ops = lagfest.
February 10, 2007 11:06:22 PM

Still undecided about Star Wars galaxies: Empire divided?

Watch this 5 min vid from youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXyiAvFpFo

at 1:40 a raid of players start at a shuttle...players get onto their vehicles and hit a base.

WOW doesn't have detailed vehicles like this!!

then the middlevideo point and near the end is a huge Jedi battle with bounty hunters, spies, officers, commandos...player vs player.

This battle was recorded from the Euro Infinity server, one of 25 servers that SWG runs 24 hrs a day / 7 days a week. there are maint. times that last about 1 to 2 hrs, but those are when most ppl are sleeping.

SWG kiks azz!!! and u can meet ppl from all over the world!!

I know ppl from turkey russia greece germany ,the usa, france and australia...china and japan too.
February 12, 2007 12:57:46 AM

BEHOLD: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. that is the new WoW killer now. check it out. it is supposed to be spectacular.
February 12, 2007 10:47:10 PM

? Someone RECOMENDING star wars galaxies? Thats unusual.
February 13, 2007 4:59:20 AM

Quote:
Not entirely sure why you got a hankering for a solo MMO...

Was thinking the same myself. Why would you want to solo play a Massively Multiplayer Online game? It's defeating the purpose. Casual gamer or not.

That's because I am not looking for Massively Cooperative Multilayer Game. I do enjoy the MMORPG games for the opportunity to have player driven economy, for the opportunity to have help available in terms of advice on quest, and just general feeling of populated aria. But I do not like to be tied to the game for x amount of minutes or hours. I want to be able to quit the game at any moment (or withing couple of minutes) if something else comes up. Thus cooperative questing is just NOT for me.

And in any case, it is beyond the point of the topic, you can't convince me that I play MMORPG "wrong" with "defeating the purpose" way. I play how I want it!
February 13, 2007 5:00:50 AM

Quote:
BEHOLD: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. that is the new WoW killer now. check it out. it is supposed to be spectacular.

I have checked the reviews, including player reviews, and my conclusion is that it may have some potential, but in far, far future. It was rushed in beta state to the marked, because the developers where out of money...
February 13, 2007 5:09:29 AM

Quote:
Eve online? It's space ships tho so maybe not yur bag. You can get a 2 week free no obligation trial tho. Give me a shout if you need a code.

Thanks for the advice. I am trying it now, so far it looks fantastic! I like presentation and graphics, but I am still going through the tutorials. I like it's complexity and SciFi settings!

It also looks like during all these years they had multiple expansions, all of which are available when you subscribe. Plus, with Vista they want to further upgrade graphics some time soon. And it looks their goal is to support the game for very long time. I especially like more complex economy in the game and the fact that all gamers are on the same server (at least I do not see any options), which makes better for the in-game economy, which is much more complex, BTW, which I also like.

Thanks for recommending such nice game. I am out from boredom, let's see for how long :) 
February 13, 2007 7:42:16 AM

Good stuff. Yeah one of the plus points is everyone is on the same server altho this leads to a downside of lag in heavily populated systems.... This really shouldn't affect you till you start running L4 missions in a battleship. Systems with those level agents can be terrible at times.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions drop me a line and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. Give me your ingame name and I'll give you a bit of cash to get your feet on the ground and if you decide to stay with eve get in touch with me again to join the sister corp of the one I'm in. It's specifically filled with new guys who train up to join the main corp, we all talk on the same channel tho so you don't get isolated. Importantly, you pretty much do what you want. Join in with the corp or alliance ops or float about doing your own thang.
February 13, 2007 11:46:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am trying it now, so far it looks fantastic! I like presentation and graphics, but I am still going through the tutorials. I like it's complexity and SciFi settings!

Thanks for recommending such nice game. I am out from boredom, let's see for how long :) 

I know, tutorial was painfully long, looked like a good game but tutorial just turned me off. I uninstalled after an hour (I have never had to use a tutorial for a game as long as I can remember..) how long does the tutorial last?
February 13, 2007 1:26:58 PM

Don't use the tutorial then :)  It's not really that necessary. The game has a steep learning curve but the basics are fairly elementary and you won't find a single unhelpful person in the NPC corp you start in, anyone will answer any questions you have. I won't say I've played any other mmo before but the ppl who play Eve are in general a fantastic bunch of ppl. It's only when you do something like blow up a persons 500mill isk ship that they turn nasty for some reason :) 

Anyway it's when you have to start worrying about transversal velocity and understanding turret ranges, tracking, ammo types, damage types, active and passive tanking and so on until your brain melts :)  But it's all good fun.
February 13, 2007 8:58:57 PM

Quote:
Don't use the tutorial then :) 

But I personally like tutorials, and this one in particular. Long, detailed, the way it should be. May be they have improved it since the release, but may be that's just me. (I like reading manuals as well :p ). Yet I understand that his tutorial only scratches all possible options! I definitely like this game more and more, because I like complex games with lots of freedom and options.
February 13, 2007 9:39:55 PM

Quote:
Don't use the tutorial then :) 

But I personally like tutorials, and this one in particular. Long, detailed, the way it should be. May be they have improved it since the release, but may be that's just me. (I like reading manuals as well :p ). Yet I understand that his tutorial only scratches all possible options! I definitely like this game more and more, because I like complex games with lots of freedom and options.

Well if that is what you want, then Eve is perfect for you as it fits that bill nicely.

I quit playing because the PVE missions got repetitive (the same ones over and over, not even different text) and progress seriously bogged down.

My subscription finally expired a couple days ago, but my character has 6 months worth of training in case I ever pick it back up.
February 14, 2007 7:27:16 PM

I've been playing City of Heroes/Villians for about 19 months now and I believe all the nerfs mentioned earlier have worked their way out. solo play is not hard to do and only certain missions and task forces require a team. Difficulty can be adjusted between missions. Best thing is you can choose your gameplay style to fit your needs and has 14 day free trial. The character creation process is the best.
February 15, 2007 9:04:05 AM

Hmmm you have me interested in trying this game out again. I like many people tried out this game when it was first released and only gave it a few hours before getting completely bored and ditching the whole game. I think it might be time to try out the game to see if it has matured at all in to something I thought the game was going to be.

I just got a brilliant idea for a game or a battle field mod, I better start writing this shit down.
February 15, 2007 9:44:59 AM

I've only played Eve On-line when it was in beta-test. I remember how I got lots of money mining some red asteroids and then somehow obtained a blueprint for some useful mining tool which I manufactured and sold to hundreds of newbies at the first space station. :lol:  Everyone was waiting for bigger ships to be added to the game, but they came only after the release.
February 15, 2007 9:52:10 AM

I said elsewhere that the problem or on the flip side the brilliance with Eve is that you get back what you put in.

Nowadays chars start with higher skills meaning you can get into the fight faster but I won't lie the initial bit of Eve can be a slog as you can't really do much.

However once you skill up and join a corp with 0.0 access and you start flying serious fleet ops with cov ops ships, interdictors, interceptors, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, carriers dreadnoughts and maybe even a titan then the game shines....

Forget about the lag for a moment cos it was bad but recently I was involved in the futile attempt to save a system from a hostile alliance. Some 600ish people all in the one system taking part in battles, hostiles trying to get the upper hand and friendlies trying to inflict enough damage. We lost in the end as their numbers were too great but damn it was still fun.

And the thing with this attack/defence is that even noobs play their parts. You could stay away and PVE or just mine or something boring but if you pay attention and actively do something you can end up having bundles of fun. Eve doesn't have an end game nor does it guide you. As long as you're within the rules you can pretty much do what you like.
February 15, 2007 10:45:33 AM

If you hate grinding, you could take a look at Face of Mankind. It's definitely the most curious MMORPG I've ever played, especially since there was a bug during the beta test that allowed you to join the Global Intelligence Service, which was a bit like the CIA in real life. Since only a few people knew about the bug, there were only 10-20 characters out of thousands belonging to that faction in the entire game world. Since everyone else thought there was some kind of dark conspiracy or secret behind the existance of our characters judging on the faction's description, a handful of us had the coolest gameplay of our lives, stirring alien conspiracies, manipulating other factions, arranging secret meetings, instigating wars, causing paranoia across the galaxy and doing stuff you'd see on X-files. 8) Unfortunately, GIS were removed a year ago. :cry: 

In FoM you join one of the game's eight factions and choose one of the four classes (combatant, trader, commander, medic). Then you participate in missions, mine resources on different planets, manufacture items and role-play. Most of the missions are created by high ranking players and when you participate and complete them you get some exp and money from the faction's funds. Experience points are only needed to get to a higher rank in your faction. There are no skills in the game because everything depends on your own skills as a player. In theory, a newbie who learns the specifics of FoM's combat system has equal chances as a an old high ranking character in combat, though maybe not the same chances in commerce or ingame politics and relations because of lower wealth and lack of contacts or influence with other players. In reality, many veterans may be equipped with heavy gear, high-tech weapons, high quality ammunition, drugs, implants, biocells and medikits, so a newbie who doesn't have enough money to equip himself may not have an equal chance.

There are no monsters or NPCs, so everything in the game takes place between players. You could say that in a way there are also aliens in the game because once in a while (maybe once in two months) GMs sometimes added a few aliens or alien eggs here and there, but they did that so rarely and in such secrecy that no one was sure if aliens were real or just rumours. This year there will be a major update that will introduce new features including the Alien Homeworld, so maybe there will be more aliens in the future. But for now there haven't been any alien sightings for a year.

As for factions, you can join the army (Freedom Defense Corps), the police (Law Enforcement Department), one of the three corporations (Colonisation and Mining Guild, EuroCore, Vortex Inc.), the Brotherhood of Shadows and the Mercenaries. If you join the police, you can scan people for illegal substances (drugs), stun and arrest (or kill) criminals. The police also spend a lot of time patrolling the prison planet De Morgan Castle. The army has somewhat strict role-playing elements. I remember that at least in the past they were forcing their low-rank soldiers to stand in lines etc. and if someone didn't obey the higher ranking players could fine them with the loss of some exp and money. Sometimes they helped the police to defend certain planets from large attacks by other factions. Characters in corporations have reduced costs when they mine minerals and manufacture items. The Brotherhood of Shadows is the only faction whose characters can produce drugs. Drugs boost up some of character's abilities, but if you get scanned by a member of LED wearing the scanning implant, you will get criminal points. The Mercenaries had the reputation of being quite vicious in the past even to their own new members since that faction seems to attract the most trigger-happy players. There's also the Guardians of Mankind who are sort of pacifists and probably focus more on diplomacy and role-playing.

However, I need to warn you that many features which make the game unique and interesting also make it in practice often very boring! Many people don't really know what to do in the game because there are no skills to train or monsters to kill and when there aren't many players online, there may be not enough high ranking members to make missions. The game is really great when there are lots of players online, but after the beta test ended the population decreased a lot and after the release many people have regularly complained that the game is not anymore what it used to be. Everybody is hoping the major update called MS 2 (Milestone 2) will introduce enough new features to lure new players. Although the update was announced last summer, the game's development team consists of only one or two guy, so I suspect the update might not happen anywhere in the near future.

www.fomportal.com
February 16, 2007 6:23:18 AM

Still recuting for Even online I see? :) 
February 16, 2007 7:47:03 AM

:) 

I'm just spreading the good word.
February 23, 2007 7:27:14 AM

Do give Everquest 2 a try. However, theres not one MMO which doesn't become repetitive after awhile. Be it the grind, or the PVP, it always boils down to endless killing either of the above.

From what you said, it does sound like you play multiple characters. Perhaps you should consolidate your efforts in what little time you have to just one characters so you are able to enjoy the game at higher tiers.

Tbh, I never found WoW that good of a game, but I don't suppose anything is going to come out soon that is able to grab a huge portion of its market share. LOTR Online doesn't look too promising.
February 23, 2007 12:43:10 PM

Stay away from the Mmorpgs lool they totally steal your life away, i found that I had to leave my CPU on 24/7 to get an advantage on people. Play a FPS or somethin, you can play 1 round and your done :p 
February 28, 2007 11:38:46 AM

Ok I had to stop the video, really disturbing camera angles..
February 28, 2007 12:23:07 PM

I have noticed since I moved in to this new flat with this girl I really like that I really have no time what so ever for playing games anymore. I can now see why people would say that MMORPG’s could ruin your life. I have to be with this girl every second of the day or she start moaning and throws a huff. Just think what would happen if I came back from work and plonked my ass in front of my PC for 4 hours a night to level up instead of doing stuff with her.

Besides doing stuff with women is far more fun that doing stuff with randoms on an MMORPG :twisted:
February 28, 2007 1:06:48 PM

Quote:
I have noticed since I moved in to this new flat with this girl I really like that I really have no time what so ever for playing games anymore... I have to be with this girl every second of the day or she start moaning and throws a huff...Besides doing stuff with women is far more fun that doing stuff with randoms on an MMORPG :twisted:

Hmm - methinks you have found one addiction to substitute for another. Well, if it works for AA, it should work for you... :lol: 

I struggle with wife aggro as well, and find that it does cramp my style when my WoW guildies want to run a long instance and I can't be sure I can stay through the end without wife/kids needing me for a while, but the balancing act between gaming and RL can be fun too. Gotta keep the priorities straight - I will ALWAYS leave the game for the family.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 16, 2010 7:37:22 PM

Yeah EVE is a realy good game, but i still pefer Aion. Check it out, it realy has some potential
June 16, 2010 10:05:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!