BIOS Boot from USB, FireWire, BlueTooth, 802.11b

D4rian

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2002
During my work as an IT Engineer i was forever enthusiasted to Give my Field technicians a Disk-On-Key USB boot device so they'll be able to use it to install any computer they want that's connected to a LAN.

Many of you who are familiar with this job have probably created bootable CDROMs that identify the computers network card login automatically to the network and install a fresh system. or maybe tried to use PXE

Then again, To the point: What is needed to enable BIOS' to Boot from a USB Disk-On-Key, Firewire Devices(not specifically HD's), Bluetooth enabled motherboards, and maybe even 802.11b incorporating motherboards.

The age of slow peripherals has come to an end and wirwless communication will surely replace it.

What's needed to be done in the standard maybe to enable BIOS' to start from any of the above configurations?

Darian

cubeover

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
What is needed is a Mac.

The longer answer would be "work hard to ensure that PC industry migrates from old BIOS [non]standard to Intel EFI platform."

Sorry, not inclined to write even longer answer ... If you're SO interested, please Wiki for EFI.
Also consider that the short answer is, practically, enough.