"Motherboard" or "Mainboard"?

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Which is the "most correct" word for it? What do you think?

"Don't necessarily listen to tersagun,he's been advocating AMD systems,he thinks Intel sucks ass.."

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Same meaning, but I prefer motherboard and the short form I use is M/B.

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, well, are you American? You see, the word Motherboard doesn't translate well into a lot of languages. So while most American's call it a motherboard, most other nations call it a Mainboard. Come to think of it, we can call it a turnip if we like, we invented the PC!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Motherboard
Mainboard
Mobo
M/B
board
system board
that big flat thing with lumpy things stuck to it.
etc

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
"Good, Americanization works! Soon all cultures will be assimilated!"??
You already .ucked all the cultures,nations,people who didn't belong to you or not accept to obey you!
Don't let me start now!

And upec; no, abit calls mainboard.(at least my old board was main).

"Don't necessarily listen to tersagun,he's been advocating AMD systems,he thinks Intel sucks ass.."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You did know it's a two-way street, no? American culture is a mix of other cultures. And television will spell the end of cultural uniqueness, there's nothing you can do to stop it!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Good, Americanization works! Soon all cultures will be assimilated!
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Good, Americanization works! Soon all cultures will be assimilated!
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Viva la resiztance!
You are already under attack of YOUR OWN evil. Before getting angry against the devil, just think about who created it!

Annubisboy

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
U S A...U S A...U S A (in a chant style)....I just think everyone else is jealous....and for all you Brits...it's spelled color, not colour,...

Have you seen my will to live? I seem to have lost it.....

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Yes it seems like a success, but i will .uck such a success!
A bloody success!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
History is written by the successful(?) or something like that... success it may be to some, but to others, they may have lost a lot.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

xebecs

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Motherboard for sure, see if ram is elder brother of gpu and younger of cpu, this makes a nice little family where the psu is the daddy!
We all love and respect our mothers and having one in a system makes life even better!

Motherboard is the oldest and most correct. Graphics cards and sound cards and such used to be referred to as "daughterboards."

Having said that, I use the term "mainboard" instead. My computer ain't no mother, and it sure as hell ain't got no daughters inside of it. :p