Sign in with
Your question

Asus P4T-533 Memory slots?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2002 12:26:15 AM

I notice there are only two slots on the Asus P4T-533.

It says on the spec for this mob, that it can take 2GB of memory. I assume 2 x 1GB?

I'm having probs finding a 512MB or a 1GB stick on a UK site. I've been looking <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue..." target="_new">here.</A> Ideally I'd like 2 x 512MB, depending on the price of course. :smile:

Here's another conundrum...look <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/specificat..." target="_new">here.</A>

Notice the section on the memory. What gives with the 184-pin stuff? I thought RIMMs were 232-pin.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 4, 2002 1:03:44 AM

I think the older Pc-800 RDR sticks are 184 pin, although that might be DDR. Yeah, I know for sure though, that Pc-4200 and Pc-3200 32-bit RDR is 232 pin. I don't think RDR can be packaged densely enough for 1gb sticks, even the older Pc-800 are only in 512Mb sticks, which are notoriusly hard to find.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
August 4, 2002 1:11:50 AM

So contrary to the picture in the link, the P4T-533C has 4 RIMM slots?

Can they all be used with 256MB sticks without stability problems or performance loss?

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
Related resources
August 4, 2002 1:14:29 AM

S-H-I-T !!!

I just spotted the price of 4 x 256MB of Samsung RAM at the link. Including VAT it'll be £622 !!!

I could have 2 systems doing half the tasks each on a budget like that!

August 4, 2002 1:15:52 AM

I'm pretty sure that the P4t-533c is using 16-bit RDR, hence 4 rimm slots, and perhaps, 184 pin RDR. Yes, RDR is tested out for stability in pairs in all the slots. Even the first i850 boards I used were stable with full slots. Hmm...yes, 4 sticks of Pc-1066 would be nice, a whole gig of overclocking sweetness.

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
August 4, 2002 1:34:47 AM

Asus did a botched job of motherboard naming! The P4T533 uses the new RIMM4200, etc, 32-bit RDRAM. The P4T533-C uses the current standard PC800/PC1066 16-bit RDRAM.

The new 32-bit modules are actually made of the components of TWO 16-bit modules mated to ONE PCB. So a 1GB PC4200 would not be harder to make than a pair of 512MB modules.

Right now you'll have a hard time finding RIMM 4200, so I suggest you stick with the P4T533-C which uses PC800/PC1066.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
August 4, 2002 1:44:59 AM

Judging by the prices, I have no option, cos it stands to reason that the 4200 RIMMs will be even more expensive.

I reckon I'll be going for 2 x 256MB for now. At £311 quid, it's more than enough cash.

Even considering PC800......nahhhh! :wink:

August 4, 2002 1:47:05 AM

Or, you could get an i845 board and a gig of Pc-133 Sdram...

August 4, 2002 1:59:18 AM

[not sure if he's kidding]

Memory bandwidth is what I'm after.

August 4, 2002 2:01:55 AM

lol, of course i'm joking

If you want memory bandwidth, well, you already know that answer

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
August 4, 2002 2:34:51 AM

Well then, you'll have to get the -C version board, which has 4 slots.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
August 4, 2002 8:22:19 AM

Yup. Looks like the only option really. I'm amazed Abit doesn't have a strong competitor in this class of mobo. I've two Abit mobos, probably due to the fact that when I built my first system this place was covered with A7V problem threads. Notice I still don't go for a Via chipset. Must have learned something from ya. Heh!

Quetz: Whew! Thought you had gone lala there. Didn't want to offend. LoL!

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
August 4, 2002 9:52:50 AM

Well, there's always the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP if you want the best and are willing to pay for it...
As for VIA, I won't stop complaining until they either get bought out by an honest company, go under, quit making chipsets, or I do a proportional amount of damage to them as they did to me.

!