New York Times Interview request

Hello,

I am writing an article for the New York Times back to school special coming
out in about a month.

My article is specifically about college students living in private
apartments in which one student subscribes for High speed internet service,
sets up a wireless router with WEP encryption and then splits the monthly
costs with other people in the apartment units below, above, or adjacent
units.

Please contact me if you are a student and doing something like this. By
deadline is Aug. 5.

Sandeepjun@yahoo.com

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about york times interview request

    > My article is specifically about college students living in private
    > apartments in which one student subscribes for High speed internet service,
    > sets up a wireless router with WEP encryption and then splits the monthly
    > costs with other people in the apartment units below, above, or adjacent
    > units.

    I am not a college student, but I think this a cool idea that is becoming very
    popular, esp. with people on a tight budget like college kids and elderly folks
    living in retirement centers. With reliable 802.11g connections extending out
    to 300 ft., it just makes good sense to share a broadband connection with all
    your neighbors and split the cost....which would come out to a few dollars a
    month if there were enough people willing to join up.

    Personally, I'm passing around a petition in my neighborhood asking folks if
    they wanna share the cost of a WiMAX hotspot (802.16).....those will be common
    in a few years across America and will offer 70 Mbps speed.

    "WiMAX is the most important thing since the Internet itself."
    - Intel Corporation 2004

    TJM wrote:
    >>My article is specifically about college students living in private
    >>apartments in which one student subscribes for High speed internet service,
    >>sets up a wireless router with WEP encryption and then splits the monthly
    >>costs with other people in the apartment units below, above, or adjacent
    >>units.
    >

    > I am not a college student, but I think this a cool idea that is becoming very
    > popular, esp. with people on a tight budget like college kids and elderly folks
    > living in retirement centers. With reliable 802.11g connections extending out
    > to 300 ft., it just makes good sense to share a broadband connection with all
    > your neighbors and split the cost....which would come out to a few dollars a
    > month if there were enough people willing to join up.
    >
    > Personally, I'm passing around a petition in my neighborhood asking folks if
    > they wanna share the cost of a WiMAX hotspot (802.16).....those will be common
    > in a few years across America and will offer 70 Mbps speed.
    >
    > "WiMAX is the most important thing since the Internet itself."
    > - Intel Corporation 2004

    From your posts, it seems you don't understand the business model at
    work in supplying bandwidth to the internet. The WiMax 70mbs speed will
    be absolutely meaningless unless someone with extraordinarily deep
    pockets wants to foot the bill for the pipe to the net. You're talking
    about half the speed of an OC3 line which runs about $11,000 per month
    right now. How many filthy rich neighbors do you have that want to sign
    up? Until your WiMax ship comes in, I could come and supply them with
    4.5mbs for a lot less if there's that much loose money running around.

    he only needs 1 or two neighbors
    "Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
    > TJM wrote:
    > >>My article is specifically about college students living in private
    > >>apartments in which one student subscribes for High speed internet
    service,
    > >>sets up a wireless router with WEP encryption and then splits the
    monthly
    > >>costs with other people in the apartment units below, above, or adjacent
    > >>units.
    > >

    > > I am not a college student, but I think this a cool idea that is
    becoming very
    > > popular, esp. with people on a tight budget like college kids and
    elderly folks
    > > living in retirement centers. With reliable 802.11g connections
    extending out
    > > to 300 ft., it just makes good sense to share a broadband connection
    with all
    > > your neighbors and split the cost....which would come out to a few
    dollars a
    > > month if there were enough people willing to join up.
    > >
    > > Personally, I'm passing around a petition in my neighborhood asking
    folks if
    > > they wanna share the cost of a WiMAX hotspot (802.16).....those will be
    common
    > > in a few years across America and will offer 70 Mbps speed.
    > >
    > > "WiMAX is the most important thing since the Internet itself."
    > > - Intel Corporation 2004
    >
    > From your posts, it seems you don't understand the business model at
    > work in supplying bandwidth to the internet. The WiMax 70mbs speed will
    > be absolutely meaningless unless someone with extraordinarily deep
    > pockets wants to foot the bill for the pipe to the net. You're talking
    > about half the speed of an OC3 line which runs about $11,000 per month
    > right now. How many filthy rich neighbors do you have that want to sign
    > up? Until your WiMax ship comes in, I could come and supply them with
    > 4.5mbs for a lot less if there's that much loose money running around.

    > From your posts, it seems you don't understand the business model at
    > work in supplying bandwidth to the internet. The WiMax 70mbs speed will
    > be absolutely meaningless unless someone with extraordinarily deep
    > pockets wants to foot the bill for the pipe to the net. You're talking
    > about half the speed of an OC3 line which runs about $11,000 per month
    > right now. How many filthy rich neighbors do you have that want to sign
    > up? Until your WiMax ship comes in, I could come and supply them with
    > 4.5mbs for a lot less if there's that much loose money running around.

    How you going to supply all these folks with fast internet service if you have
    no wire to pipe them broadband? I know lots of upper middle-class people who
    dont have access to cable or DSL. WiMAX intends to provide both backhaul and
    last-mile service.

    WiMAX has a good chance to succeed if it can deliver 5 Mbps at even a 10-mile
    NLOS radius. Portable devices are selling a lot faster than desktops, and
    people want their broadband service to go with them as they run around town.

    New technology is expensive when it first hits the market. I remember paying
    close to $4000 for my first desktop PC in 1993 and it had a 486/DX2 CPU and a
    100MB hard drive. My first cell phone in 1996 cost $50/month for 100 minutes of
    analog service. WiMAX transmitters will be on the pricey side at first, but
    eventually they will be everywhere just like the cell towers you see all over
    the place in 2004.

    TJM wrote:
    >>From your posts, it seems you don't understand the business model at
    >>work in supplying bandwidth to the internet. The WiMax 70mbs speed will
    >>be absolutely meaningless unless someone with extraordinarily deep
    >>pockets wants to foot the bill for the pipe to the net. You're talking
    >>about half the speed of an OC3 line which runs about $11,000 per month
    >>right now. How many filthy rich neighbors do you have that want to sign
    >>up? Until your WiMax ship comes in, I could come and supply them with
    >>4.5mbs for a lot less if there's that much loose money running around.
    >

    > How you going to supply all these folks with fast internet service if you have
    > no wire to pipe them broadband? I know lots of upper middle-class people who
    > dont have access to cable or DSL. WiMAX intends to provide both backhaul and
    > last-mile service.

    What I was thinking was doing what I'm doing in my home town, and that's
    get a T1 line (or 3), set up some servers, set up a couple of access
    points and provide internet service to customers. If you set up an
    access point and spread the internet and the associated costs around,
    but use cable or DSL for the pipe, then you are in danger of having your
    pipe to the net yanked away from you when you are discovered.

    My main point was, though, that you seem to think by using WiMax
    equipment you will magically have a 70mbs connection to the net. There's
    a little more to it than that.

Interview Internet Wireless Networking