Sign in with
Your question

Bluescreens mostly...

Last response: in Windows XP
April 15, 2004 4:57:49 PM

Hello

Lately I am getting lots of bluescreens on my computer.
Most of the time (perhaps 90%) it comes with a message that says:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and sometimes it spits out something about
USBUHCI.SYS/WIN32K.SYS.

I've been searching the net like a madman for answers and solutions.
And I've bumped into solutions ranging from licking on your RAM modules (checked
them and they're OK) to buy a +450w PSU...lot's of freaks out there I tell ya ;P

Worth mentioning might be that I've never bumped into these kind of problems before,
been running WIN XP for maybe a year now with the same config and without hassle.

I get the bluescreens for no particular reason, I can leave the computer on for a few hours
without doing anything and then suddenly it crashes or it might happen just after
2-3 minutes after I reboot, totally unpredictable and annoying as hell.

Earlier today I decided to do a format c:/ and re-install, as I usually do
that when I bump into a problem that gives me a headache (lot's of formatting that is)
Problem solved though? no way...same [-peep-] with a clean install and fresh drivers.

I wonder, how is it possible that I get these errors at this particular time?
I have not altered my machine since I first installed XP (about a year ago)

Oh, it's virus/worm free and whathaveya btw.

I checked Microsofts page and they said something about poorly written drivers that
tried to use 'bad' adresses...so?, remedy plz.

My guess is that my modem is getting overloaded somehow (8Mbit line) and then
it decides to freak out just for the fun of it, or maybe not...I have no idea
honestly and any help would be greatly appreciated =)

AMD XP 1600
512 PC2100
2 HD's (IBM, WD - 40Gb & 80Gb)
SB LIVE 5.1
300w PSU (Antec)
Windows XP Pro
DSL-200 USB modem (Usb 1.1)

Ta!

<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue>

More about : bluescreens

April 15, 2004 5:22:01 PM

Try some basic stuff first... take the case off... get the dust out of your cpu heatsink... do you have any intake and outtake fans... this is worth a try... a lot of bsod issues are caused by overheating...

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/Mobile Barton 2600+
210x12.5 1.8V
1GB XMS PC3200
9500np modded to 9700np</b></font color=red><font color=green><b>
NF7-S/Unlocked Barton 2500+
200x11.5 1.76V
512MB XMS PC2700
Ti4200
April 15, 2004 5:45:29 PM

Yeah point taken but my temps are fine, CPU is always 47-50c and the case temp is around 33 which is splendid.

Thanks anyway =)

Related resources
April 15, 2004 6:28:13 PM

the best way to "check it out" is to do a fresh install, and if it continues, you have the hardware issue and not the software. Then you can "troubleshooot" the hardware. I am 92.45023899% positive it is your USB modem. But do the fresh install first, it takes about 1 to 2 hours (depends how many proggies you are installing).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
April 15, 2004 6:45:26 PM

Ok, I've done a fresh install earlier today, problem persists.
However, I am not having any problems with win98 (oh, the irony) so that must mean that my hardware is ok, right?

Just for the fun of it I will post my voltage readouts, please tell if they seem out of order.

Vdimm 2.52
Vagp 1.52
Vbat 3.08
12v 12.16
5Vsb 5.48

One more thing, I took a peek under the hood and there were some 'rusty dust'
on some of the 'whatcha call those cylindrical thingys', wonder what that is.
It looke like they were 'bleeding' from the top (there is a X formed 'opening'
on the top, on all of them)...

Plz tell me my mobo isn't throwing the towel in, I just can't afford a new one
as I am studying atm.

Gah!, another thing...I usually play games, like Medal Of Honor, Call of duty etc...while doing this, the computer is just fine, very odd.
<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 04/15/04 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 15, 2004 7:04:55 PM

2 questions: what kind of mobo do you have, and is this problem was present since you've installed XP or it is something new?

April 15, 2004 7:06:23 PM

Hey, I missed the Ancient Poster title... sorry for the basic, noob-level advice...

210x12.5 1.8V
1GB XMS PC3200
200x11.5 1.76V
512MB XMS PC2700
Ti4200
April 15, 2004 7:17:28 PM

It's an Epox 8KHA+ mobo, and it's something new.

April 15, 2004 7:20:36 PM

No hard feelings ;P

Don't let the title fool you, I am a n00b when it comes to things like this, have'nt updated myself in the computer area for 1-2 years now (give or take a few months)

I got the title from lots and lots of nonsense post you see (and some bribes), I'm very proud of it ^^

April 15, 2004 7:44:52 PM

A 450 sounds too much for you, but a lot of problems can be caused by a bad power supply... is there one you can borrow to test out for a while... also, as mentiuoned above, pull out that pci card and test for a while without it... but the card is not new thing... could be that your psu is just going out...

not crashing during games... perhaps that is random and you have been lucky... but it is weird...

Are 98SE and XP on serarate partitions...

Any updated drivers latley... windows, video card, DirectX, etc?

But do test out a different power supply, even if you have to sneak into a friend's house and "borrow" one covertly... and if you do buy a new one, there is no need to get anything lower than 400W with prices today... better yet, talk a friend into upgrading their psu to a 450 and giving you their old 350W...

210x12.5 1.8V
1GB XMS PC3200
200x11.5 1.76V
512MB XMS PC2700
Ti4200
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:59:12 PM

Quote:

I hate to tell you this Jake, but that is probably at least some of your problem. They're not supposed to be cracked or oozing anything out of them.

April 15, 2004 8:09:48 PM

Yep, 450 sounds like overkill.
Anyway, had an old Enermax 350w awhile ago that decided to burn up for some reason,
after that I've been using the Antec PSU without any problems until recently that is.

Well, logic tells me that IT HAS to crash sometime when playing games (I play alot), but
it does not happen strangely enough.

I don't have Win98 anymore, replaced it with Windows XP

And concerning drivers, I've only installed the basic stuff, like Display and DirectX...that's it
No VIA drivers as there already are ones built into XP, likewise with my Soundblaster.

Before my re-install I had tons of drivers and codecs...but the outcome is still the same:
I hate being greeted by a bluescreen in the morning.

Btw, does the voltages look wack or fine?

April 15, 2004 8:18:26 PM

Are you sure?, could'nt it just be some 'trendy' thing? like
"wow, looke at that oozing stuff on those cylindrical mojos, almost as cool as those epileptic CPU-
laserlights or that valiumsmoke-generator from beneath the PSU" ;P

Hmm, guess not.

But seriously though, if that's the case...is'nt it more likely that
my mobo just goes up in flame right now? Now it sounds like it's laying on it's deathbead crying for morfin,
hardware don't do that sort of things, right?

Maybe it's just some 'really messed up dirt' that's been there for quite some time now?

:( 

April 15, 2004 11:03:15 PM

Update: I bumped up the CPU voltage 0.05V, I think that did the trick, have'nt been crashing yet =)
I lowered a long time ago because I thought it read too high, obviously I was wrong, I suppose one should not trust those voltage meters too much eh?

Well, I'm off to bed now...I let you know tomorrow (if I'm not greeted by a bluescreen that is, chances are that I'll trash the computer instead)

nn

April 16, 2004 4:40:00 AM

so you did screw with mobo ;0)>

April 16, 2004 10:34:02 AM

Yeah, who can resist a tasty mobo? ^^

Anyway, I woke up, turned on the screen and to my surprise everything were as it should be =)

Happily I opened my browser to make a post at THGC when suddenly my computer locks up...ha!ha! I'm going mad.

April 16, 2004 3:03:06 PM

That in no way explains why it did not crash in games... the opposite should have been true... but good luck...

210x12.5 1.808v
1GB XMS PC3200
Sapphire 9500np@9700np</font color=red><font color=black>
200x11.5 1.76v
512MB XMS PC2700
XFX Ti4200
April 16, 2004 9:40:40 PM

Yeah I think so too as games are more 'intensive', mysteries of life I suppose.

I don't care as long as I don't get any nasty bluescreens =)

April 17, 2004 2:54:00 PM

If you have leakage on your mother board "rusty looking dust cylinder looking things" I believe the are some type of resistor but I'm not sure.If they are leaking your Mobo is going down.Some boards have had this problem with the swelling and leaking. Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?
April 17, 2004 3:20:45 PM

Ok, what's the usual 'life expectancy' for a mobo anyway?
I've had this mobo for maybe 2 years now and my computer has been on for 24/7 (more or less) during that period.

April 18, 2004 12:53:21 AM

It depends on a lot of factors. I shut my PC down before I retire for the evening and I have friends that leave it on 24/7. I have systems that I built running for five years without problems. If your CPU is cooling properly, you have power supply that is up to par, you don’t overclock, and you keep your case properly cooled they should last for some time. Also keeping a good surge protector for your PC to plug into goes along way. I prefer MSI and Biostar board. I have use a lot of Asus in the past but lost confidence in them with the quality control went down the hill. In your case with the components on your board swelling and leaking I would strongly suggest you doing some research into buying a new board. There have been problems with some board leaking like that if you have any warranty on the board contact the vendor. The board is probably on the way out. Bruce

April 18, 2004 1:24:16 PM

Ok, I might just do that.
Sucks that I have to buy new components now though, I was hoping that my computer would last at least 6-8 months into the future.

If I'm going to buy a new computer I really don't want to waste money on my current system as there are new components (Serial ATA, Athlon FX and whathaveya) available today (which I can't afford atm, but maybe in half a year or so)

Oh well, I leave my computer on till it burn up =)

Can you recommend a 'somewhat good' mobo for a really cheap price? ($30-$40)
I rather buy a half-decent mobo for a cheap price and 'live' with that for a few more months rather than flex out $150 for a good quality mobo that I wont use in the future anyway.

I wish I fancied knitting or some other cheap 'hobby' instead of computers :( 

April 18, 2004 2:31:51 PM

Look into the Biostar motherboards. I would check with newegg.com. There are alot of good cheap Biostars out there for intel or amd. The biostar boards at that price range may not be a power house but are plenty stable.A good cheap biostar with 32meg video built in and a AGP slot for your video card if you prefer is the M7VIG pro.
Bruce

April 18, 2004 2:34:26 PM

Thanks a bunch =)

April 18, 2004 3:03:22 PM

Need anymore info just ring. Bruce

April 19, 2004 3:25:05 PM

Suck it up and get an ABIT NF7-M with onboard video (GF4 MX400) or just an NF7 if you do have an AGP card...

Then over time replace your 1600+ for a Barton 2500+ and the PC2100 Ram for PC3200.... in fact, if you do that down the road, I might be a buyer for both the old cpu and ram, for the right price...

Don't waste you time getting a cheap motherboard...

NF7 for $79

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;/A>

NF7-M for $104

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...;/A>

210x12.5 1.808v
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
NF7-S/Barton 2500+
200x11.5 1.76v
512MB XMS PC2700
XFX Ti4200
April 19, 2004 4:14:27 PM

Thanks for the mobotips folks but I already made up my mind and ordered
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/asrock/k7s8x/k7s8x-1.ht..." target="_new">this</A> yesterday, it's shamelessly cheap ($40) and it seems to be
of at least decent quality.

It will do for now, I figure that anything but my current mobo will be better anyway.

April 19, 2004 8:52:01 PM

One more question though, when I rip put my mobo and put in my fresh one...do I need to de-install any special drivers or does Win XP take care of that?

I have not installed the VIA drivers, other than an USB filter patch (which I suppose I have to remove)

April 19, 2004 9:10:02 PM

post this question on the motherboards section, and provide detailed info about both motherboards... with XP, expect to reformat and reinstall windows... but with some boards and chipsets, just changing boards can be done...

210x12.5 1.808v
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
NF7-S/Barton 2500+
200x11.5 1.76v
512MB XMS PC2700
XFX Ti4200
April 19, 2004 10:30:16 PM

Nah, to lazy...I'll figure it out, just thought if you had a quick yas/no answer sort of.

April 22, 2004 1:37:38 AM

Quote:

Those are capacitors and when they are bulged like that or have an "acid like mark" they are bad and are referred to as distended capacitors at that point... (which means your mobo is bad)

I know you already know your mobo is bad, I just thought I'd let you know what those are :) 
April 27, 2004 11:57:17 AM

Sorry that I bump this old fart, just want to let you know that it's not my mobo that is causing the bluescreens.

It is in fact my crappy D-Link DSL-200 modem that is the culprit.

I installed my new mobo (after alot of messing around) and turned on my computer in high hopes of getting rid of bluescreens once and for all.

Yeah right, it's even worse now, I get bluescreens before I actually get into windows and then when Windows starts up I can't use my modem.
If I'm lucky I can use my connection for around 1 minute to a couple of hours (just like before).

As it is now I am running Win98, it's not pretty :( 

A friend of mine obviously has the exact same problems I found out.
It's not working on his computer, but runs well on his girlfriends.

He's been talking to the D-Link Support guys and they say that there 'should not be' any problems and they don't have any updated drivers for their product, there is an english version but that won't work with a Swedish OS according to them.

Maybe I should add that WinXP runs fine when I unplug and uninstall the modem drivers but as soon as I install it things get ugly.

I'm so pissed off right now.

<font color=blue>Youth is wasted on the young</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake75 on 04/27/04 07:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 27, 2004 11:55:35 PM

[-peep-], [-peep-], [-peep-]! I cannot believe that I only just came across this post :( 

I admit, the mobo description does sound like it has the "Bad Caps" issue that has been bandied about the Mobo forums a few times, but as soon as I saw the thread title I thought 'USB modem.'

I had the exact same problem with my Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL USB Modem - same BSOD error even. I read about mostly USB and memory issues. I would have suggested trying to use your 'puter without the USB plugged in for a day or two to see if you got the BSOD. Damn, as I read down the thread I was hoping you hadn't ordered a new mobo until trying that, but I guess I just didn't come across it in time. Amazingly I can't really offer a solution either. It started happening to me just before I swapped out a lot of hardware. I changed mobo *and* graphics card, but seeing as you've changed mobo and you still get the error then I have a sneaking suspicion that your ADSL USB modem is sharing IRQs with your graphics card and potentially conflicting. Regardless, IMHO I think it's a USB or IRQ issue, 'cause I think Windows' management and implementation of USB sucks, I've had plenty of problems with it.

As much as -blah- posts weird, brief and sometimes abrupt posts, the comments are usually pretty accurate, and I think the ~92% hunch that the USB modem was at fault was correct.

[Edit: I've had a few drinks and lost coherence for a while - gomme a break!]

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=27..." target="_new">My Rigs</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arkus on 04/27/04 08:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 28, 2004 2:09:00 PM

It's not that big deal with the mobo, my old one was probably going to give in anyway =)

Yes, they do share IRQ 11 (lots of USB 'stuff' and my graphicscard).

I thought WinXP and newer systems could handle those sort of things pretty well, maybe they can't after all.

I will run Win98 for the time being, in a month or so I will switch ISP and get a new modem and hopefully that will solve it.

God, I don't remember Win98 to be SO crappy as it really is ;P, can't wait till I can install XP again.

!