Press any key!

I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few months ago.
When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following statement shows:-
“ Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key�
As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I’m at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any more problems.
Anyone have any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about press

    "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a
    > few months ago.
    > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
    > statement shows:-
    > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what
    > is causing this problem. Once a key is pressed the system accesses
    > WinXP Home Edition without any more problems. Anyone have any ideas?

    in bios check that 1st boot device (or similar) is set to the drive with
    your os on it

    --
    If the information posted above helps then let me know.
    If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

    ---

    "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
    months ago.
    > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
    statement shows:-
    > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
    causing this problem.
    > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
    more problems.
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted and
    did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
    > months ago.
    > > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
    > statement shows:-
    > > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
    > causing this problem.
    > > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
    > more problems.
    > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > >

    > Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted and
    > did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?

    Hi Gordon,
    Thanks for your swift reply.
    Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
    No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.

    Anything else I can try?

    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    > > "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a
    few
    > > months ago.
    > > > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
    > > statement shows:-
    > > > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > > > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what
    is
    > > causing this problem.
    > > > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without
    any
    > > more problems.
    > > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > > >

    > > Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted
    and
    > > did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
    > >
    > Hi Gordon,
    > Thanks for your swift reply.
    > Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
    > No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.
    >
    > Anything else I can try?

    Sorry that's beyond my scant knowledge - hopefully someone will jump in!

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Gordon" wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > few
    >
    >>>months ago.

    >>>statement shows:-

    > is
    >
    >>>causing this problem.

    > any
    >
    >>>more problems.

    >>>Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
    >>>

    >>Hi Gordon,
    >> Thanks for your swift reply.
    >>Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
    >>No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.
    >>
    >>Anything else I can try?
    >

    > Sorry that's beyond my scant knowledge - hopefully someone will jump in!

    You need to set it to boot from hard drive.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply

    Try fixing the mbr. Boot to the Recovery Console and then use the FIXMBR
    command. You might also want to run the FIXBOOT command. To learn about the
    Recovery Console check here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654 or from
    Windows XP go to Start->Help and Support and do a search for Recovery
    Console.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
    >months ago.
    > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
    > statement shows:-
    > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
    > causing this problem.
    > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
    > more problems.
    > Anyone have any ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP