Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Press any key!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 30, 2004 2:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few months ago.
When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following statement shows:-
“ Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key�
As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I’m at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any more problems.
Anyone have any ideas?

More about : press key

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 10:04:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com
> I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a
> few months ago.
> When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
> statement shows:-
> " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what
> is causing this problem. Once a key is pressed the system accesses
> WinXP Home Edition without any more problems. Anyone have any ideas?

in bios check that 1st boot device (or similar) is set to the drive with
your os on it

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.713 / Virus Database: 469 - Release Date: 30/06/2004
June 30, 2004 11:04:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com...
> I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
months ago.
> When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
statement shows:-
> " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
causing this problem.
> Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
more problems.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>

Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted and
did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
Related resources
June 30, 2004 11:04:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com...
> > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
> months ago.
> > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
> statement shows:-
> > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
> causing this problem.
> > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
> more problems.
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> >
>
> Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted and
> did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
>
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your swift reply.
Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.

Anything else I can try?
July 1, 2004 12:10:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:270CAF57-71C8-4A1D-BC29-F342B36C6827@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com...
> > > I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a
few
> > months ago.
> > > When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
> > statement shows:-
> > > " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> > > As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what
is
> > causing this problem.
> > > Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without
any
> > more problems.
> > > Anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> >
> > Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted
and
> > did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
> >
> Hi Gordon,
> Thanks for your swift reply.
> Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
> No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.
>
> Anything else I can try?

Sorry that's beyond my scant knowledge - hopefully someone will jump in!
July 1, 2004 8:11:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Gordon wrote:

> "Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:270CAF57-71C8-4A1D-BC29-F342B36C6827@microsoft.com...
>
>>
>>"Gordon" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>>I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a
>
> few
>
>>>months ago.
>>>
>>>>When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
>>>
>>>statement shows:-
>>>
>>>>" Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
>>>>As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what
>
> is
>
>>>causing this problem.
>>>
>>>>Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without
>
> any
>
>>>more problems.
>>>
>>>>Anyone have any ideas?
>>>>
>>>
>>>Did you change your boot sequence to boot from CD when you re-formatted
>
> and
>
>>>did not change it back? Is there a CD in the CDROM drive?
>>>
>>
>>Hi Gordon,
>> Thanks for your swift reply.
>>Yes I changed it back to ' floppy drive '
>>No there isn't a CD in my CDROM drive.
>>
>>Anything else I can try?
>
>
> Sorry that's beyond my scant knowledge - hopefully someone will jump in!
>
>
You need to set it to boot from hard drive.
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:08:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Try fixing the mbr. Boot to the Recovery Console and then use the FIXMBR
command. You might also want to run the FIXBOOT command. To learn about the
Recovery Console check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654 or from
Windows XP go to Start->Help and Support and do a search for Recovery
Console.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Vagans" <Vagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:412EF235-0E0D-4766-9A13-F635934BE31E@microsoft.com...
>I have had a start up problem since I last formatted my hard drive a few
>months ago.
> When I start now, the start up sequence hangs up and the following
> statement shows:-
> " Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key"
> As I do not have a floppy disk in the drive, I'm at a loss as to what is
> causing this problem.
> Once a key is pressed the system accesses WinXP Home Edition without any
> more problems.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
Related resources
!