New to this NG ...

I wonder if anyone could explain as to why the Windows Image
and Fax Viewer will only open up certain images I've taken and
saved (all in JPEG format) and not others.

I can open them up from my CompactFlash card and the images
are 'generated', but if I save them to my Desktop, they will not
open up at all ... 'No preview available'

The same images saved to Zip disc etc *will* open up again !
This is baffling me (it doesn't take much though !)

Cheers in advance for any suggestions of how to get this 'feature'
back ... (to normal ?)

PS : Keep it 'simple' please guys ... ;o)

--

Dave
The Sec-RAT-ary

    | "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    | wrote in message news:urGyaAtXEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | I wonder if anyone could explain as to why the Windows Image
    | and Fax Viewer will only open up certain images I've taken and
    | saved (all in JPEG format) and not others.
    |
    | I can open them up from my CompactFlash card and the images
    | are 'generated', but if I save them to my Desktop, they will not
    | open up at all ... 'No preview available' <SNIP>

    Perhaps the following explains it... (CompuServe and AOL and
    compressed graphics).

    KB326675 - "No Preview Available" and "File Format Is Not
    Supported" Error Messages Occur When You Try to View
    Graphic Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;326675

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    > | "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    > | wrote in message news:urGyaAtXEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | I wonder if anyone could explain as to why the Windows Image
    > | and Fax Viewer will only open up certain images I've taken and
    > | saved (all in JPEG format) and not others.
    > |
    > | I can open them up from my CompactFlash card and the images
    > | are 'generated', but if I save them to my Desktop, they will not
    > | open up at all ... 'No preview available' <SNIP>

    > Perhaps the following explains it... (CompuServe and AOL and
    > compressed graphics).

    > KB326675 - "No Preview Available" and "File Format Is Not
    > Supported" Error Messages Occur When You Try to View
    > Graphic Files

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;326675

    Hi Carrie,

    Many thanks for the reply ...
    I have read the article but I don't think it's relevant (?)

    a) I haven't upgraded 'to' Windows XP (home)
    b) I haven't 'downloaded' the images
    c) The images are exterior/interior pub shots I've taken *myself*
    d) I'm not using AOL or CompuServe (compressed images)
    e) If I view from the Compact Flash card ... they open up
    f) If I drag one onto Desktop and try to open it ... "No preview available"
    g) The 'title' *Windows Image and Fax Viewer* doesn't show either
    h) If same image is placed in a Folder on Desktop or a Zip Disk ... it opens
    up ?

    Weeeeeeeeeird !

    Oh ... I forgot to mention earlier that this 'feature' was working fine
    up until 3 weeks ago ... then it just 'disappeared'.

    Many thanks for your reply again ...

    Cheers,

    --

    Dave
    The Sec-RAT-ary
    Real Ale Tasting Society - R.A.T.S. ®
    www.the-rats.org

    ||| "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    ||| wrote in message news:urGyaAtXEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    ||| <SNIP> Windows Image and Fax Viewer will only open up certain images
    ||| I've taken and saved (all in JPEG format) and not others.
    ||| I can open them up from my CompactFlash card and the images are 'generated',
    ||| but if I save them to my Desktop, they will not open up at all ... 'No preview
    ||| available' <SNIP>

    || "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    || <SNIP> KB326675 <SNIP>

    | "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    | wrote in message news:OXz5ZCNYEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    | Hi Carrie, Many thanks for the reply ...
    | I have read the article but I don't think it's relevant (?)
    |
    | a) I haven't upgraded 'to' Windows XP (home)
    | b) I haven't 'downloaded' the images
    | c) The images are exterior/interior pub shots I've taken *myself*
    | d) I'm not using AOL or CompuServe (compressed images)
    | e) If I view from the Compact Flash card ... they open up
    | f) If I drag one onto Desktop and try to open it ... "No preview available"
    | g) The 'title' *Windows Image and Fax Viewer* doesn't show either
    | h) If same image is placed in a Folder on Desktop or a Zip
    | Disk ... it opens up ?
    |
    | Weeeeeeeeeird !
    |
    | Oh ... I forgot to mention earlier that this 'feature' was working fine
    | up until 3 weeks ago ... then it just 'disappeared'.
    |
    | Many thanks for your reply again ... Cheers, <SNIP>

    Regretfully I am unable to recreate your problem. That is, for any *.jpg that
    I place on the desktop, when I open it I am unable to reproduce the "No
    preview available" message along with a missing title.

    But, of course, I know few actual details of the problem, and none of the
    details of your computing environment. Which leads me to the following:

    If your computer a member of a domain (where an Administrator may be
    placing restrictions on your Desktop, redirecting your Desktop, etc., and
    a Computer Technician is paid to troubleshoot and repair computer
    problems, etc.) I suggest that you discuss this issue with that Administrator
    and that Computer Technician.

    Some information that may help you solve the problem if you do not have
    an Administrator and a Computer Technician to help you out:

    When you double-click your *.jpg file the following command is supposed
    to get executed:

    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

    The %1 at the end of the command is a parameter that is replaced by the path
    to the file.

    For example, on my computer that is not a member of a domain, with my User
    Profile that is named Carrie, with my Desktop that is located on my local hard
    drive in the default location, and for a file on my Desktop named jpg.jpg, the
    command is:

    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen C:\Docume~1\Carrie\Desktop\jpg.jpg

    or

    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\jpg.jpg

    Also, the only way I was able to recreate the problem of the Windows Image
    and Fax Viewer opening with a "No preview available" message along with
    a missing title, was to do the following:

    Right-click the desktop, select New | Shortcut. In the "Type the location
    of the item:" box enter the following command...

    rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen

    ....click Next, and Finish. Then double-click the shortcut. Notice that the
    command I used is missing the path to a file.

    Now given the above and the way you have described your problem
    (the Windows Image and Fax Viewer works correctly if the file is in a folder
    other than Desktop), it seems unlikely that the problem is with shimgvw.dll.

    Therefore, perhaps the problem has something to do with the Desktop, the
    Desktop path to the file, and/or the way that shimgvw.dll is expanding the
    Desktop path.

    If that is indeed the case, then you might be able to figure out the problem by
    running the SysInternals utility named FileMon (which "monitors and displays
    file system activity on a system in real-time") at the same time that you try to
    open a problem *.jpg.

    For more information about FileMon see the following Web Site:

    Sysinternals Freeware
    Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 - FileMon
    Copyright © 1996-2004 Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell
    Last Updated: March 18, 2004 v6.1
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

    BTW, you may want to use the filter feature in FileMon to select what data
    will be shown in the list view. The one that I used and seemed to work well
    is as follows:

    *shimgvw*;*jpg*;*desktop*

    And you may also want to save the results of a FileMon test on a *.jpg that
    does not open correctly. Then run a FileMon test on a *.jpg that does open
    correctly and compare the results.

    And if FileMon does not help you resolve the problem, your computer is not
    a member of a domain, and you would like more help, please take time to
    read and answer the following questions:

    You wrote "that this 'feature' was working fine up until 3 weeks ago." So...
    What exactly has happened to, or changed with, your computer in the last
    three weeks?

    Does your Desktop display any other unusual behavior? For example,
    do other file types such as *.gif's and *.bmp's open properly when saved
    to (or copied to) the Desktop and then opened with the Windows Image
    and Fax Viewer? Do non-image file types such as Write Documents (*.wri)
    open properly when save to (or copied to) the Desktop and opened
    with WordPad?

    Does this behavior occur when you logon to another users' profile with the
    same rights and group memberships as your account? For more
    information about how to "create a new user account" search the Windows
    XP Professional Help and Support Center for the words in double-quotes
    and read the Suggested Topic by that title.

    Is your operating system Microsoft Windows: XP Professional or
    XP Home Edition? And what is the Service Pack Level? You can
    determine those things by opening Control Panel, clicking System,
    and reading the General tab.

    If you open the Control Panel, then open User Accounts and view the
    description of your Account what does it say. For example: Computer
    administrator, or Limited account.

    Is your operating system installed on a partition that is formatted NTFS.
    You can determine this by "Using Disk Management". For more
    information search the Windows XP Professional Help and Support
    Center for the words in double-quotes and read the Full-text Search
    Match by that title.

    Please provide the full path to one of the files in question. One way to
    obtain the full path is to create a shortcut to one of the Desktop *.jpg
    files in question. Then right-click the shortcut and select Properties.
    The Target box should be highlighted but if not highlight it. Then copy
    and paste the path in your reply.

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message ...

    > | "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    > | wrote in message news:OXz5ZCNYEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    > |
    > | a) I haven't upgraded 'to' Windows XP (home)
    > | b) I haven't 'downloaded' the images
    > | c) The images are exterior/interior pub shots I've taken *myself*
    > | d) I'm not using AOL or CompuServe (compressed images)
    > | e) If I view from the Compact Flash card ... they open up
    > | f) If I drag one onto Desktop and try to open it ... "No preview
    available"
    > | g) The 'title' *Windows Image and Fax Viewer* doesn't show either
    > | h) If same image is placed in a Folder on Desktop or a Zip
    > | Disk ... it opens up ?

    ******************

    Apologies for the delay in responding to your previous posting.

    Many thanks for the detailed response (some of which is 'beyond my
    sparse knowledge' I'm afraid) ... I have tried (my best ?) to answer as
    much as possible ...

    ***

    > And if FileMon does not help you resolve the problem, your computer
    > is not a member of a domain, and you would like more help, please take
    > time to read and answer the following questions:
    > You wrote "that this 'feature' was working fine up until 3 weeks ago."
    > So... What exactly has happened to, or changed with, your computer in
    > the last three weeks?

    I downloaded FileMon (a little over my head to be honest with you) but
    all or most entries involving the shimgvw.dll file showed 'Success'.

    I am not a member of a domain (no Administrator / Technician) I am
    a Home user.

    3 weeks ago I downloaded a 'shedful' of 'critical updates' from Microsoft.

    ***

    > Does your Desktop display any other unusual behavior? For example,
    > do other file types such as *.gif's and *.bmp's open properly when saved
    > to (or copied to) the Desktop and then opened with the Windows Image
    > and Fax Viewer? Do non-image file types such as Write Documents (*.wri)
    > open properly when save to (or copied to) the Desktop and opened
    > with WordPad?

    All .gifs .bmp's and .tiffs have the same 'fault' of not being able to open
    up
    if saved directly to the Desktop ... but 'will' open up if saved to a folder
    I've created or direct from Card Reader.

    All 'Word' documents saved directly to Desktop open up OK.
    (Don't know about *.wri docs though ???)

    ***

    > Does this behavior occur when you logon to another users' profile
    > with the same rights and group memberships as your account?

    Only have the 1 User profile (me !)

    ***

    > Is your operating system Microsoft Windows: XP Professional or
    > XP Home Edition? And what is the Service Pack Level?

    Windows XP Home / Service Pack level 1

    ***

    > If you open the Control Panel, then open User Accounts and
    > view the description of your Account what does it say.

    Computer administrator.

    ***

    > Is your operating system installed on a partition that is formatted
    > NTFS. You can determine this by "Using Disk Management"

    All I know is that C: is on NTFS file system.

    ***

    > Please provide the full path to one of the files in question.

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Dave.DAVID.000\Desktop\Dscn0019.jpg"

    ***

    I hope that some of the above answers will be of some use ?

    I appreciate the time you are taking to assist me in this problem.

    Cheers ...
    --
> [...]

    || Is your operating system Microsoft Windows: XP Professional or
    || XP Home Edition? And what is the Service Pack Level?
    >
    > Windows XP Home / Service Pack level 1
    > ***
    >
    || If you open the Control Panel, then open User Accounts and
    || view the description of your Account what does it say.
    >
    > Computer administrator.
    > ***
    >
    || Is your operating system installed on a partition that is formatted
    || NTFS. You can determine this by "Using Disk Management"
    >
    > All I know is that C: is on NTFS file system.
    > ***
    >
    || Please provide the full path to one of the files in question.
    >
    > "C:\Documents and Settings\Dave.DAVID.000\Desktop\Dscn0019.jpg"
    > ***
    >
    > I hope that some of the above answers will be of some use ?
    > I appreciate the time you are taking to assist me in this problem.

    First see if using the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register
    shimgvw.dll will solve the problem. To do that close all applications
    that have buttons on the taskbar. Then click Start, click Run, type
    the following command and click OK:

    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded."
    message, click OK. Then test to see if the problem still occurs. If
    the problem still occurs then...

    Given that your Operating System partition is formatted NTFS, and
    the path to your desktop includes "Dave.DAVID.000"... This tells
    me that in the past you lost Full Control permission for your user
    profile folder.

    Therefore, I suggest that you test for a corrupt user profile and/or
    incorrect NTFS permissions by creating a new user account (type:
    Administrator). Then logon using that new user account and test to
    see if the problem still occurs.

    Post back with results and we will go from there.

    For more information about regsvr32 see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article:

    KB249873 - Explanation of Regsvr32 Usage and Error Messages
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;249873

    For more information about losing Full Control permission for a user
    profile folder see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB324734 - HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows
    Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;324734

    For more information on how to create a user account see the
    following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB279783 - HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;279783

    My apologies once again for not replying sooner, but I
    have been away in Belgium (Beer Festival :op )

    RE: No Images in Windows Image and Fax viewer when
    saved to Desktop ...

    ***

    > First see if using the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register
    > shimgvw.dll will solve the problem. To do that close all
    > applications that have buttons on the taskbar. Then click
    > Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:
    >
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >
    > When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll
    > succeeded." message, click OK. Then test to see if the
    > problem still occurs.

    I've done the test as you've described, and I had the
    'Succeeded' message, and the problem still exists
    (no image in Fax / Image viewer)

    ***

    >If the problem still occurs then...
    >
    > Given that your Operating System partition is formatted NTFS,
    > and the path to your desktop includes "Dave.DAVID.000"...
    > This tells me that in the past you lost Full Control permission for
    > your user profile folder.
    >
    > Therefore, I suggest that you test for a corrupt user profile and/or
    > incorrect NTFS permissions by creating a new user account (type:
    > Administrator). Then logon using that new user account and test to
    > see if the problem still occurs.
    >
    > Post back with results and we will go from there.

    I couldn't use 'Administrator' as it was already in use, so I just called
    it 'Admin2'.

    I created a new user account and guess what ? The images I place
    on the Desktop now appear in Windows Image and Fax Viewer !

    Sounds like you've pinned down the problem Carrie !

    What's next please ?

    Regards 'n Cheers ...

    --

    Dave
    The Sec-RAT-ary
    Real Ale Tasting Society - R.A.T.S. ®
    www.the-rats.org

    ||| "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    ||| wrote in message news:Of5p$wNZEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    ||| <SNIP> most entries [FILEMON] showed 'Success'.
    ||| <SNIP> am a Home user.
    ||| <SNIP> I downloaded a 'shedful' of 'critical updates'
    ||| <SNIP> All .gifs .bmp's and .tiffs have the same 'fault'
    ||| <SNIP> All 'Word' documents <SNIP> open up OK.
    ||| <SNIP> Only have the 1 User profile (me !)
    ||| <SNIP> Windows XP Home / Service Pack level 1
    ||| <SNIP> Computer administrator.
    ||| <SNIP> NTFS file system.
    ||| <SNIP>"C:\Documents and Settings\Dave.DAVID.000\Desktop\Dscn0019.jpg"
    <SNIP>

    || "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
    || wrote in message news:ecy5bAoZEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    || <SNIP> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    || <SNIP> test for a corrupt user profile
    || <SNIP> Post back with results <SNIP>

    | "The Sec-RAT-ary" <Dave@the-ratsDOTorg>
    | wrote in message news:e%23Ys$l$ZEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    | <SNIP> [regsvr32] the problem still exists
    | <SNIP> [corrupt user profile] I couldn't use 'Administrator' as it
    | was already in use, so I just called it 'Admin2'.
    |
    | I created a new user account and guess what ? The images I place
    | on the Desktop now appear in Windows Image and Fax Viewer !
    |
    | Sounds like you've pinned down the problem Carrie !
    |
    | What's next please ?

    I would begin by updating your backup of your personal
    irreplaceable data. Or, if you have never made a backup, do so
    now. For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article:

    KB308422 - HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and
    Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;308422

    Then, you will need to "Copy Files to the New User Profile"
    (Admin2) as documented in the section by that name in following
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article. And then start using the new
    uncorrupted profile.

    KB811151 - How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to
    a new profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;811151

    Please note the "Note" in KB811151 which says, "You must import
    your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before
    you delete the old profile".

    Also note that you will have to reconfigure any per-user settings
    (customized user settings) such as desktop settings, persistent
    network connections, and application settings.

Windows XP