Anyone else having Vista problems?

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hey guys,
Here's a question for the forumites: have any of you upgraded to or installed Vista and had problems running games? We're doing some tests here in the lab to following up on the initial Vista benchmark tests, and we're having some peculiar problems. I don't want to give too much away before the article runs, but it's a fairly potent desktop and the games are recent titles.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I only have RC1 on my PC, so I can't help you, but for clarification, are you looking for more games that might have problems, or are you confirming that the problems you've encountered are common?

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I only have RC1 on my PC, so I can't help you, but for clarification, are you looking for more games that might have problems, or are you confirming that the problems you've encountered are common?

The latter; we're not sure if the problems we're having are unique to our system or OS copy (the games run fine on XP systems) or if they're common to Vista systems. I'm not even sure how to begin to describe what's happening when we load up these games, but the long and short of it is that they're basically unplayable for a variety of reasons.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Battlefield 1942 runs fine. The Desert Combat mod does also. Took running as administrator to join Punkbuster enabled games.

Elderscrolls 3 didn't install properly, haven't gotten back to it. Return to Castle Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory is installed, but can't find any of the maps. Haven't bothered to move things over, but the program does run. Shockwave doesn't seem to want to work for web browser games.

Sim City 3, Civilization 3: Complete, and Darkstar One run without any problems.

Yes, there are problems here and there, I can definately verify that. :lol:

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Have this problem:

VideoLAN plays sound, but nothing but a white screen for video. However, taking a snapshot allows the picture to be seen for a few seconds.

Installing a program that always went to Program Files went somewhere in my personal folder. No idea why it did that.

Biggest/wierdest issue, VideoLAN and Windows Media Player can see the media files in a certain folder, but using the standard Windows browser to see what in there says it's empty, and that the folder is taking up 0 bytes.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Theres a list on Wikipedia of games that work and games that are having trouble with vista(and there fix if any) i was reading the page the other day when trying to find out if CSS would work in vista.....although now i cant seem to find it again :?

gamespot also has a list, although its for BETA 2

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6154735/index.html?sid=6154735

EDIT

found the list i was reading through the other day very detailed, anyone thinking of using vista might want to checkout that list.

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Hey guys,
Here's a question for the forumites: have any of you upgraded to or installed Vista and had problems running games?

I avoid the problem altogether by not buying any MS OS until they release the first Service Pack; until that point you are essentially paying to be a beta tester IMO, and I have no interest in that line of work. I have too few gaming hours as it is, and I won't lose precious ones trying to figure out why my OS isn't doing what it ought.

jafu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hi, Gang;
'm having problems running BF 1942 in Vista Enterprise 32-bit. Any map I load, whether in single player or multiplayer, won't respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. I just stand frozen in one spot. All I can do is rotate 360 degrees by moving the mouse, but that's all. I tried different things, including "running as administrator" and checking "run in windows xp compatibility mode".
I'm running an Athlon 64 4000+ with 2gb memory, ATI 850 pro AGP graphics board, SoundblasterAudigy 2 Platinum, all with the latest available Vista 32-bit drivers.
Any ideas?

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
i just got my new system and am running vista ultimate 64 bit, there are performance dropsfrom xp, but thats expected because the drivers arent mature yet. i have not had any trouble w/ any steam games what so ever. I tried installin dark messiah (the graphics card included this game in the package) but i could not even get to the main menu, and the only other game ive had a problem with is Battlfield 2, i cant join any online games because i have "inadequate operating system privlages" or something like that, but over all i am enjoying vista much more than xp. One of my favorite things is the Bubble Screensaver, its soooooo cool.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have played Sam & Max, Battle Field 2/2142, most of the games on Steam and Medieval Total War on Vista 64Bit. They all work fine but I have not given it extensive testing since I am still using XP most of the time till I can be bothered reorganising the 700GB’s of data on my system so that it will be all tidy for a complete system refresh.

My hard disks are a complete mess at the moment :cry:

Trebuken

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Nearly every game that I could get to run on XP is running on Vista (Ultimate, 64-bit), for me. Many older games are giving me 'requires 32-bit OS' errors, but the only newish game not working for me is Gothc 3, which is likely the buggiest game released in the last year.

Compatibility mode was required for a couple of games, for many others it did not seem to have an effect. Sometimes you can install a game using compatibility mode and then it will run fine without it, I guess it is the installer that needs help.

I think I've gotten luckier than most with Vista...

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
A friend of mine recently installed vista and told me he had to disable everything to get his games to work ---- I mean firewall, superfetch, UAC, searching, indexing, and some other stuff that I am not familiar with. I have a copy of vista ready to install but am afraid to right now given whats going on.

Just thought you might want to run some tests with everything turned off (i mean everything you can think of --- just have core application services running in background) to see if you can repeat this (getting games to work with everything turned off) on your test computer as well --- may help find out what application services are causing problem --- or may not help you at all --- just a suggestion.

Also, may want to check this out ---- you may have already done so but wonder if it has anything to with the problems you experiencing:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

I do not know how much of the article is true as I am not that tech savvy --- but it did raise my eyebrow and wonder if some issues contained in this article are related to the problems you are experiencing --- but dont really know --- it be nice if a tech guy such as yourself looked into this as I really dont know what to believe.

pdhcentral

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

I've found that games don't run as quick (FPS) in Vista with any drivers I've found for my N6600GT. In XP, things are cool and I can use resolutions that cripples games in Vista.

For gaming, I'd stick with XP. Even though games run ok, if you're the sort of person who misses certain frame rate goals, don't try it unless you have a powerful rig (I ain't!). I don't intend on spending money on a high spec rig, at least until MS have sorted themselves out with Vista, and also for the GPU makers, to stop being so sluggish about x64 drivers.

Games I've tried in x64 are Quake 3, Half Life 2, Test Drive Unlimited and NFSU2. All work on x64, but performance better on XP than Vista. Flight Sim won't even work properly on Vista x64, works fine on XP though, strange since its supposed to be 'made for it'! :lol:

TRENDING THREADS