Aug 5, 2002
Heres my setup:

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP
P4 2400 (4x133)mhz fsb
512mb PC1066 Kingston RDRAM
Gainward GeForce4 128mb video
Creative Audigy X-Gamer sound

Heres the problem:
I built this machine the other day, and it has been running horribly slow.

So, I ran SiSoft Sandra 2002.
Bencharks confirm this setup is running at less than half its potential.

I know benchmarks are highly subjective.. but according to the same Sandra benchmarks my Athlon 1200, that I built 1 1/2 years ago, is running twice as fast as this new machine.

Can anyone help?

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Also, according to the memory benchmarks, it has an efficiency of only 32%, and it gave the 5400 (advanced) warning.
This is excessively low for a machine of this caliber.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Do you have a good power unit and if so is it fully volting your CPU, etc.?

Have you tweaked the memory timings at all in BIOS? What about any BIOS updates? What OS are you using, and what about your hard drive setup? Reply with that info, also for the hell of it try booting w/o the Audigy installed and see what happens in terms of performance.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'm using Enermax 450 whisper powersupply.
EDIT. Yes it is fully volting the mobo/cpu, etc.
-sidenote - it is doing it all while being almost completely silent mind you [Enermax Whisper PWs own :)]

I have not tweaked memory timings, the bios doesnt seem to let me :(

I have not updated bios yet.

I am running Win XP Pro.
( on both my machines. )

I have a Western Digital 120gb uata100 harddrive, as the primary master, alone on the channel.

I have tried it without the Audigy, and it did not change the performance at all.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by algoRhythm99 on 08/05/02 02:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Do you have an "In order queue depth" option in your BIOS?

Adjusting this can increase or decrease the memory performance.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
That's what I was thinking... but this AMI BIOS doesnt let me change anything with the timings, etc, aside from stating that the memory is either pc800 or pc1066.

I've set it to both (even though pc800 would be slower than what the memory is rated for) and it did not change anything.
~

Its definitely NOT a heat issue, as my current airflow keeps the machine at a cool 33 degrees celsius.

There is no queue option that I can find in the manual or looking through the BIOS options.

Anyone else here have a GA-8IHXP mobo setup with the same problems?

I've examined the hardware but everything looks in perfect condition, as it should be.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Yes it does, when it posts hit the delete key to get to the bios menu,then hit ctrl + f1, this will open up the advanced bios options and there you will find the memory and cpu tweaks.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
See if this motherboard came with an update disk to be installed after the operating system. Many chipsets are not fully recognized by the operating system. Especially if you run Win98 as the OS.

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
hitting ctrl+f1 doesnt do anything..neither does alt+f1,
or ctrl/alt+any f* key.

I've got all the drivers installed that were on the discs.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by algoRhythm99 on 08/05/02 11:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

algoRhythm99

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Arg.. Nothing I do seems to change anything.
Its still running SLOW.

I REALLY wish I could change the memory/cpu settings manually, but the damn bios doesnt have anything like that.

I even tried pressing the ctrl+f1 like had been suggested, but that did not bring up any advanced settings screen or anything.
~

Could it be a hardware problem that I havent been able to detect?