V60s Question

Can anyone tell me if replacing the stubby antenna with a whip antenna
will improve performance? I have seen the oem antenna's on the net
for the V60c.

Thanks

jw

"Ghost Dog" <hankcg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if replacing the stubby antenna with a whip antenna
> will improve performance? I have seen the oem antenna's on the net
> for the V60c.
>
> Thanks

To be short, No. Here is a link by a former Qualcomm employee that explains
it in more depth.
http://denbeste.nu/cdmafaq/antenna.shtml

JW

"JW" <a@a.net> wrote:

> "Ghost Dog" <hankcg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me if replacing the stubby antenna with a whip antenna
> > will improve performance? I have seen the oem antenna's on the net
> > for the V60c.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> To be short, No. Here is a link by a former Qualcomm employee that
explains
> it in more depth.
> http://denbeste.nu/cdmafaq/antenna.shtml

The link you provided shows that your, "To be short, No," answer is
incorrect. A properly-designed whip antenna *will* improve the performance.
In most cases the difference won't be noticeable, but it marginal conditions
it will make the difference between communicating and not communicating.

--
D.J., N8DO; FMCA 147762
dj[underscore]osborn at yahoo dot com

In article <1357f96d.0405051356.6249da91@posting.google.com>,
hankcg@yahoo.com (Ghost Dog) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if replacing the stubby antenna with a whip antenna
> will improve performance? I have seen the oem antenna's on the net
> for the V60c.
>
> Thanks

Well, I don't have any hard evidence... but we have 3 v60s's. I
replaced mine with the old retractible antenna from my old v60i - and I
get better reception than either my wife, or my son - in the same
location.

At my aunt's apartment, the signal is fairly weak. (It's one of the
*very* few places where this happens in RI) Both my wife and son had a
"No Service" banner, while mine got 1-2 bars.

Take it for what it's worth... and *your* mileage may vary, but I'm
sticking with the retractible antenna and replacing the 2 others.

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

I wonder if you can buy a retractable antenna from a dealer? (non VZW
of course)

Dave

In article <6n1k90th8nh6isg3t695876gq5o47gdtfq@4ax.com>,
Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wonder if you can buy a retractable antenna from a dealer? (non VZW
> of course)
>
> Dave

I've bought them on-line before... and I'd recommend the Motorola OEM
antenna for $12.95. It just fit better than the aftermarket stuff.
(You may also need the little tool provided to get it snug.)

I found mine at:

http://www.star-cell.com/wireless/store/accessorydetail.asp?id=25394&phon
eid=178

Fred

--
"Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

Hmm.. my V60s phone's antenna is unscrewable. The link you provided
said that they provide an antenna remover. I assume for the v60c/v60i
that the antenna is fixed and is non removable?

Dave

On 6 May 2004 12:32:09 -0500, FPP <fredp@mail.com> wrote:

>In article <6n1k90th8nh6isg3t695876gq5o47gdtfq@4ax.com>,
> Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if you can buy a retractable antenna from a dealer? (non VZW
>> of course)
>>
>> Dave
>
>I've bought them on-line before... and I'd recommend the Motorola OEM
>antenna for $12.95. It just fit better than the aftermarket stuff.
>(You may also need the little tool provided to get it snug.)
>
>I found mine at:
>
>http://www.star-cell.com/wireless/store/accessorydetail.asp?id=25394&phon
>eid=178
>
>Fred

I just bought a new v60s last weekend from Verizon and it replaced my
Motorola 270c which is a great phone.
This v60 is not getting the range the 270 did.
So I have considered one of the retractable antennas also.

Post a message if you get one and if it works.. I might get one too.

The v60s is a great phone but I too like the retractable antenna. Used
to have one on the v120c, missed it on the v120e and now the v60s.

Dave

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:03:28 GMT, Mach 1 <fordcoupe@att.net> wrote:

>I just bought a new v60s last weekend from Verizon and it replaced my
>Motorola 270c which is a great phone.
>This v60 is not getting the range the 270 did.
>So I have considered one of the retractable antennas also.

Radio shack is offering the v60i replacement antenna including tool.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

In article <hf5l9090tu1iilqpf4jc72l5nj4fmvc6e3@4ax.com>,
Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmm.. my V60s phone's antenna is unscrewable. The link you provided
> said that they provide an antenna remover. I assume for the v60c/v60i
> that the antenna is fixed and is non removable?
>
> Dave

No, the v60i's just unscrew as well. It's just that there are these 2
small indentations that you must use to get the needed leverage to
unscrew the antenna.

It unscrews pretty easily if you can get the right grip on the tip that
screws into the body of the phone.

> Post a message if you get one and if it works.. I might get one too.
>
> The v60s is a great phone but I too like the retractable antenna. Used
> to have one on the v120c, missed it on the v120e and now the v60s.
>
> Dave

Takes all of 10 seconds... and it definitely *can* be done.

Fred