Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microphone for voice recording

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:38:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Do I need any special software for doing voice recording on XP?

Thanks,

Ted
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:50:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

HOW TO: Install and Configure Speech Recognition in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306537

Some of the more popular voice recognition products available include:

Dragon Systems (Point and Speak and Naturally Speaking) - www.dragonsys.com
IBM (ViaVoice) - www.ibm.com/software/speech/
Lernout and Hauspie (Voice XpressAdvanced) - www.lhs.com
Phillips (Free Speech 2000) - www.copia.com.au/free_speech_2000.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote in message:
news:%23CrgCD3XEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

| Do I need any special software for doing voice recording on XP?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Ted
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:29:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I'm not interested in voice "recognition", I just want to do simple voice
"recording". Like a tape recorder.
Do I need any software beyond XP Home Edition for that?

Thanks,

Ted

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23KmdSJ3XEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> HOW TO: Install and Configure Speech Recognition in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=306537
>
> Some of the more popular voice recognition products available include:
>
> Dragon Systems (Point and Speak and Naturally Speaking) -
www.dragonsys.com
> IBM (ViaVoice) - www.ibm.com/software/speech/
> Lernout and Hauspie (Voice XpressAdvanced) - www.lhs.com
> Phillips (Free Speech 2000) - www.copia.com.au/free_speech_2000.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>
> "Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote in message:
> news:%23CrgCD3XEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> | Do I need any special software for doing voice recording on XP?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Ted
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 1:53:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Ted Hill said in news:uVRbLf3XEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
> I'm not interested in voice "recognition", I just want to do simple
> voice "recording". Like a tape recorder.
> Do I need any software beyond XP Home Edition for that?


Don't use the "Home" version of Windows XP. I have the Professional
version. There isn't a Recorder application under the Start ->
Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment menu (which is a shortcut to
%SystemRoot%\System32\sndrec32.exe)?
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827778 says sndrec32.exe exists for
both the Home and Pro versions. Presumably you already have a
microphone and plugged it into the correct jack.

--
____________________________________________________________
*** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
____________________________________________________________
July 1, 2004 8:07:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote in message
news:uVRbLf3XEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm not interested in voice "recognition", I just want to do simple voice
> "recording". Like a tape recorder.
> Do I need any software beyond XP Home Edition for that?

Go here "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Sound Recorder

And if you have a microphone, and your sound card properties setup to use
the mic, you can record with it.

Anyway, Carey is a numbnut, he posts reactively to keywords, then his
botched instincts causes him to reply non sequitur. The MVP gene pool has
hit a new low with his admittance at the low end of that hierarchy. As you
can easily tell, he only saw the word "voice" (while his 700cc cranium
couldn't latch on to the rest) in the subject line. It is a nasty habit he
has, and he never admits fault, which is indicative of a severely regressed
thought process!
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 8:34:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Tom, thank you very much. This is the info I needed.

I see that the default is to create wav files.

Do you know if there is a way to convert these to MP3, or some other format
that would play in a 'standard' audio CD player, e.g. a CD player in a car.

Thanks again,

Ted


"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
news:%23zNBbc6XEHA.2972@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote in message
> news:uVRbLf3XEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I'm not interested in voice "recognition", I just want to do simple
voice
> > "recording". Like a tape recorder.
> > Do I need any software beyond XP Home Edition for that?
>
> Go here "Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Sound Recorder
>
> And if you have a microphone, and your sound card properties setup to use
> the mic, you can record with it.
>
> Anyway, Carey is a numbnut, he posts reactively to keywords, then his
> botched instincts causes him to reply non sequitur. The MVP gene pool has
> hit a new low with his admittance at the low end of that hierarchy. As you
> can easily tell, he only saw the word "voice" (while his 700cc cranium
> couldn't latch on to the rest) in the subject line. It is a nasty habit he
> has, and he never admits fault, which is indicative of a severely
regressed
> thought process!
>
>
July 1, 2004 10:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote in message
news:o LYykM7XEHA.2672@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Tom, thank you very much. This is the info I needed.
>
> I see that the default is to create wav files.
>
> Do you know if there is a way to convert these to MP3, or some other
> format
> that would play in a 'standard' audio CD player, e.g. a CD player in a
> car.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ted

Yes, Sound Recorder defaults the format into .WAV, which can be recorded
"as-is" and used as an audio CD. You can download programs for free that
will convert those files into MP3s if you wish (MP3s do save space). But if
you do convert to an Audio CD, then you will need a burning program that
will make an Audio CD anyway for all formats top burn into Audio CD.

www.dbpoweramp.com has a free converter, and it is quite a nice program too.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 6:09:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Ted Hill" <thill AT tomotherapy DOT com> wrote:
>I'm not interested in voice "recognition", I just want to do simple voice
>"recording". Like a tape recorder.
>Do I need any software beyond XP Home Edition for that?
>Thanks, >Ted

Just use a regular inexpensive microphone plugged into your sound card
microphone input jack, or like in my case a USB webcam with a microphone built
into it.

To record, just use Windows XP's "sound recorder". In:

start\ all-programs\ accessories\ entertainment

It will make a .WAV file, a standard sound file format. You just press a
button to start the recording & press to stop the recording.

You have several recording levels and configurations to choose from. By
default it is mono & a low recording rate. But that's all you really need for
just your plain voice, & the lower the rate the smaller the file it makes.

....D.
!