Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Gigabyte GA7 VRXP Problems

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 5, 2002 6:34:36 PM

I bought two of these boards based on the great review from this site only to be met with problems. Please let me know if you can help.

I'm running an AMD 1600XP with 256Meg. DDR 2100, GeForce MX-400 AGP video card, under both Win 98SE and Win 2000. I've upgraded the board bios to the F8 version which is the latest to date. Initially, the boards fired up and operated fine, but then locked after sometime operating. Upon restarting, no video shows up. I can see the fans going and even hear the drive, but it is clear that the computer is not booting and the video display stays blank. I reset the CMOS and start over, but this is a recurring issue. I've experimented with upping the CPU and AGP voltages, board speeds - even at 100 MHz. I've even had the board scramble the boot sector of the hard drive. This has occurred in two separate cases (high quality) with two separate boards, different video cards, different memory, and I even tried a Duron 900 for good measure. Let me know if you have any tips or if this sounds like bad boards. Both are sequential serial numbers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : gigabyte ga7 vrxp problems

August 5, 2002 7:03:11 PM

That board has a dual bios doesn't it? If so load the old original BIOS. With the gigabytes in your series, it seems once a BIOS is in there and operating updating is a mistake. You shouldn't need the update anyhow since the recent updates only apply to support for the new athlon CPU's not the 1600+. If no dual BIOS download the older BIOS you had before and flash that back in, it should work as I had similar problem with a gigabyte board of that series.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"
August 7, 2002 3:17:49 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I had the same problems with the original version of the BIOS (F1) that comes with the board. Are you saying I should Flash that version even though it had the same symptoms? Your advice was the first of that type I read. I will give it a shot, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your own way.