Does VZW have consistent policy - EN (data) MOU ?

Reading through some postings on this forum

- Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
(40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
grandfathered?)
- and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
week.

What is VZW policy on this? Or is this a special promo for some? Is
there any special verbiage to use with Customer Care or is this better
to handle at a local VZW store?

Does it require purchasing a Mobile Office Kit? My local VZW store
does not nor the VZW web sell one for the Nokia 3589i (1x capable). I
bought the data cable and CD from Nokia and connecting to the slower
19.2 QNC circuit network, but am willing to buy the Mobile Office Kit
if makes any difference just for the software and faster connection.
QNC 19.2 ok for email and light browsing but helpful to have some
faster for work/office while commuting. However, I do not use it that
much to justify a by the megabyte ($35+) or unlimited plan ($79).

Scott
P.S. Bought the 3589i as best handler of weak reception in my office
building.
8 answers Last reply
More about does consistent policy data

    "spurkbik201" <spurkbik201@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Reading through some postings on this forum
    >
    > - Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    > (40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    > grandfathered?)
    > - and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    > technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
    > with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
    > week.
    >
    > What is VZW policy on this? Or is this a special promo for some? Is
    > there any special verbiage to use with Customer Care or is this better
    > to handle at a local VZW store?
    >
    > Does it require purchasing a Mobile Office Kit? My local VZW store
    > does not nor the VZW web sell one for the Nokia 3589i (1x capable). I
    > bought the data cable and CD from Nokia and connecting to the slower
    > 19.2 QNC circuit network, but am willing to buy the Mobile Office Kit
    > if makes any difference just for the software and faster connection.
    > QNC 19.2 ok for email and light browsing but helpful to have some
    > faster for work/office while commuting. However, I do not use it that
    > much to justify a by the megabyte ($35+) or unlimited plan ($79).
    >
    > Scott
    > P.S. Bought the 3589i as best handler of weak reception in my office
    > building.

    Fortunately, it's a thing that's easy to get added as long as you remember
    one thing. Most of the people at verizon are really really really stupid and
    both the lower downs and the higher ups will directly lie and claim there is
    no such thing (it may just be that they don't know, and since they make
    exactly no commission on something free, there is no impetus for them to
    learn). Many people that have it are persistent and will not take the stupid
    ravings of someone that tells them what they know is wrong. Usually, if you
    ask 100 different people, you will actually find one that will add that
    option to your existing account.

    Think I'm making this up? How many people have had it added by someone in a
    matter of seconds for free, and how many others give up when the first
    person tells them no (like you stated above). Be persistent! Don't take no
    for an answer! Be polite, say thanks, hang up and call someone else. If you
    call CS on your mobile phone it's a free call to #611, so just keep calling
    until you find the 1 out of 100 that will add it.

    In case you are curious, it is NOT a plan, and is NOT on the website at all!

    spurkbik201 wrote:

    > Reading through some postings on this forum
    >
    > - Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    > (40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    > grandfathered?)
    > - and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    > technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
    > with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
    > week.

    I do not believe that if you have an America's Choice plan you have to
    call anyone to get it added to your account. It's already there. Get
    the Mobile Office Kit and use the cable and software to connect using
    Express Network when in a Verizon area and sometimes when in an extended
    area. That's the way it worked for me. I've been using it for over a
    year now with no additional charges other than minutes of use when in
    prime time. Nights and week-ends free.

    Don in Tracy, Calif.

    P.S. You can get a Mobile Office Kit on e-bay a lot cheaper than from
    Verizon.

    spurkbik201 wrote:

    > Does it require purchasing a Mobile Office Kit? My local VZW store
    > does not nor the VZW web sell one for the Nokia 3589i (1x capable). I
    > bought the data cable and CD from Nokia and connecting to the slower
    > 19.2 QNC circuit network, but am willing to buy the Mobile Office Kit
    > if makes any difference just for the software and faster connection.
    > QNC 19.2 ok for email and light browsing but helpful to have some
    > faster for work/office while commuting. However, I do not use it that
    > much to justify a by the megabyte ($35+) or unlimited plan ($79).
    >
    > Scott
    For the Nokia 3589i, you will have to select the 3G option when installing
    the modem drivers from the information (.inf) file. If you have already
    installed the 1G option (for QNC), you have to uninstall the drivers and
    then install them again, selecting the "3G Packet Data Modem" option in
    order to get the higher speed (only one driver can be used at a time on a
    USB port).

    Then set up a dialup modem connection. The phone number should be #777,
    username <phonenumber>@vzw3g.com, where <phonenumber> is your cell phone
    number with area code. The password is "vzw".

    It is possible to have both the 1G option and the 3G option at the same time
    if you use two different USB ports, since each port has to be set up
    individually. That is convenient when traveling, since the 3G will not work
    on the Extended Network, but the 1G (QNC) should.

    spurkbik201 wrote:

    > Reading through some postings on this forum
    >
    > - Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    > (40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    > grandfathered?)
    > - and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    > technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
    > with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
    > week.
    >
    > What is VZW policy on this? Or is this a special promo for some? Is
    > there any special verbiage to use with Customer Care or is this better
    > to handle at a local VZW store?
    >
    > Does it require purchasing a Mobile Office Kit? My local VZW store
    > does not nor the VZW web sell one for the Nokia 3589i (1x capable). I
    > bought the data cable and CD from Nokia and connecting to the slower
    > 19.2 QNC circuit network, but am willing to buy the Mobile Office Kit
    > if makes any difference just for the software and faster connection.
    > QNC 19.2 ok for email and light browsing but helpful to have some
    > faster for work/office while commuting. However, I do not use it that
    > much to justify a by the megabyte ($35+) or unlimited plan ($79).
    >
    > Scott
    > P.S. Bought the 3589i as best handler of weak reception in my office
    > building.

    In addition to what others have said, if you have America's Choice, look
    at your bill to see if you have the feature called "National Access." If
    you do, you will be using your minutes for 1X access without any other
    charges when on VZW's network. If you don't see that feature on your
    bill, try asking for "National Access" when calling customer support
    without telling them what you need it for. Be sure to confirm that when
    they add that feature they don't extend your plan date a year.

    You don't need to buy VZW's Mobile Office since you sound like you
    already have a cable. Just setup your dial-up access like Jim mentions.
    You can download the Mobile Office software from various places if you
    want to use it (I believe it's just a dialer so you can just use your
    OS's built-in dialer instead) or let me know if you want it and can't
    find it online.

    Steve

    Steve Johnson wrote:
    > spurkbik201 wrote:
    >
    >> Reading through some postings on this forum
    >>
    >> - Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    >> (40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    >> grandfathered?)
    >> - and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    >> technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even
    >> checked with a senior account manager on duty at that call center
    >> one day this week.
    >>
    >> What is VZW policy on this? Or is this a special promo for some? Is
    >> there any special verbiage to use with Customer Care or is this
    >> better to handle at a local VZW store?
    >>
    >> Does it require purchasing a Mobile Office Kit? My local VZW store
    >> does not nor the VZW web sell one for the Nokia 3589i (1x capable).
    >> I bought the data cable and CD from Nokia and connecting to the
    >> slower
    >> 19.2 QNC circuit network, but am willing to buy the Mobile Office Kit
    >> if makes any difference just for the software and faster connection.
    >> QNC 19.2 ok for email and light browsing but helpful to have some
    >> faster for work/office while commuting. However, I do not use it
    >> that much to justify a by the megabyte ($35+) or unlimited plan
    >> ($79).
    >>
    >> Scott
    >> P.S. Bought the 3589i as best handler of weak reception in my office
    >> building.
    >
    > In addition to what others have said, if you have America's Choice,
    > look at your bill to see if you have the feature called "National
    > Access." If you do, you will be using your minutes for 1X access
    > without any other charges when on VZW's network. If you don't see
    > that feature on your bill, try asking for "National Access" when
    > calling customer support without telling them what you need it for.
    > Be sure to confirm that when they add that feature they don't extend
    > your plan date a year.
    >
    > You don't need to buy VZW's Mobile Office since you sound like you
    > already have a cable. Just setup your dial-up access like Jim
    > mentions. You can download the Mobile Office software from various
    > places if you want to use it (I believe it's just a dialer so you can
    > just use your OS's built-in dialer instead) or let me know if you
    > want it and can't find it online.

    Just to add a bit more to the mess... my business rep (who may not
    have understood the question) said it depends on your phone. If
    they show that you are using a 1x capable phone it will be enabled
    on your AC plan.

    Maybe many of these people having a problem do not have 1x capable
    phones? or switched the ESN themselves and the VZW record does not
    show them as having a 1x capable phone? I remember 2 years ago and
    a bit after that when I switched plans the CSR always asked what phone
    I had before adding the EN (now Nat Access) feature.

    -Quick

    In article <4099CBDF.6F03@mindspring.com>, Don <rver123@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >spurkbik201 wrote:
    >>
    >> Reading through some postings on this forum
    >>
    >> - Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    >> (40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    >> grandfathered?)
    >> - and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    >> technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
    >> with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
    >> week.
    >
    >I do not believe that if you have an America's Choice plan you have to
    >call anyone to get it added to your account. It's already there. Get
    >the Mobile Office Kit and use the cable and software to connect using
    >Express Network when in a Verizon area and sometimes when in an extended
    >area. That's the way it worked for me. I've been using it for over a
    >year now with no additional charges other than minutes of use when in
    >prime time. Nights and week-ends free.

    Do not mention tethered (Mobile Office) use at all. Just say that you
    have a new phone that supports 1xRTT data for GetItNow, so you need
    the NationalAccess option on your plan so your phone can use the higher
    data rate on GetItNow. This is one of the originally intended uses of the
    NationalAccess MOU option (along with picture messaging). This is actually
    true, but it has the side-effect of enabling NationAccess tethered use
    (at least, at this time, it does).

    On 5 May 2004 15:46:11 -0700, spurkbik201@yahoo.com (spurkbik201) chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >Reading through some postings on this forum
    >
    >- Some America's Choice plan subscribers have Express Network
    >(40-60kbps) Minutes of Use added to their account (are they
    >grandfathered?)
    >- and others like myself have contacted VZW Customer Care nor their
    >technical support will not allow this. Rep I talked with even checked
    >with a senior account manager on duty at that call center one day this
    >week.
    <snip>
    >P.S. Bought the 3589i as best handler of weak reception in my office
    >building.

    I assume the 3589i is capable of using Get It Now, so my advice is this:
    sometime during your free airtime, try GIN; just browsing doesn't cost you
    anything.

    If GIN doesn't work, or if it's veeeeerrryyy slooooowww.... call CS and
    complain about it. If their cluelesness goes on for an excessive length of
    time, you might finally suggest that you heard something somewhere about
    how you need National Access--MOU as an active feature on your account.

    If that doesn't do it for you, then I can't help you.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Hammers: manually powered fastener-driving impact devices." - Pentagon
    definition
    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "On behalf of all men, I just want to take a moment here to get down on my
    knees and thank whoever invented our current biological system, under which
    the woman's job is to have the baby somehow go from the inside of her body
    to the outside of her body, in clear violation of every known law of
    physics, and the man's job is to stand around looking supportive and
    periodically, no matter what is actually happening to the woman, say, in an
    upbeat and perky voice, 'You're doing great!'" - Dave Barry

    Thanks everyone for your responses. After much computer install pain
    as had to do this on a personal Win98 laptop and a work WinXP laptop,
    finally got it to work! (at least it works in offpeak hours this
    weekend). Using some of your suggestions, troubleshooted the problem
    to be with using the proper modem drivers.

    Unlike prior Motorola phone which had data connectivity and all files
    you needed on one CD, it would be good if Nokia if they are sending
    you a data cable CD anyway to include the needed modem driver (only
    27K) on that CD. There was subdirectory called Drivers with a
    Setup.exe file which found later did not include the one for the phone
    modem, but instead had to get the modem driver at their website.

    Thanks,
    Scott

Verizon Policy Internet Service Providers