Rescuecom PC Reliability: Apple, Asus, Lenovo

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
this is exactly why i tell people looking for a solid windows based laptop to buy an Asus or Lenovo. Acer used to be really good until they bought out Emachines. since then, the entire product line has had a big drop in reliability.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
as someone who worked for a local PC shop for a while I can confirm that the most troubled brand was HP with thoshiba a close seccond. We hardly ever saw an Asus PC and only one person every brought a mac in and all he wanted was for us to backup his data.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]Why would I call a third-party number if my laptop got problem within warranty?[/citation]
Some people depend on their PC to run their business, and can't wait for the manufacturer to recieve their PC via shipment, and then wait for it to come back up to 2 weeks later.

And I agree with akoegle, the two brands I seem to fix the most are HP/Compaq and Dell.

ezz777

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Why would an Apple user ring a 'Rescue - PC' line? They'd have to be completely clueless... ... ...

Yes the article does make mention of this, but it seriously questions the intention of the article.

It'd be like Toyota quoting it's impeccable reliability by how many calls were made to Ford's service department (in my part of the world, anyone can service anything... so it's a fairly valid comparison).

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I can attest to this, i worked as a computer repair guy at my university and we had next to no Apple or Asus problems, probably close to 95% where hp and dell.

G

akoegle, I used to work in a shop as well, never touched apple but that doesn't mean there were no problems with Apple devices..... alot of people prefer to deal directly with apple, because a non-certified tech would void your apple warranty...

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Well, I can tell you that as far as Asus goes, from a personal experience, their laptops are very good quality, as well as their motherboards. BUT, pray you never have any issues where you have to actually call their technical support! Their tech support is by far the worst, most horrible I've ever dealt with. If you call or email, goodluck EVER getting a reply of any sort. And if you do, be prepared to get a tech who has no idea what they are talking about. So yes, the product is awesome, but maybe they cut corners on support since they rarely need to use it...

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
In the last two years I have closely followed six Apple computers. One is the Macbook Pro that I use on a daily basis, two are iMacs owned by close friends, and three are also Macbook Pros owned by two other close friends. In the two years we have owned these computers, all six have had countless problems.

Every single one of the Macbooks had faulty DVD drives that stopped functioning after a year. Two of the Macbooks and both iMacs had critical failures of their video cards, preventing them from working until they were repaired. One had a defective battery that had to be replaced at full cost. My Macbook has several bad pixels and the screen bleeds severely on the left side. Every one of these computers have issues with overheating to the point that they are extremely uncomfortable to use in any application that puts the computer under load.

Having used my Macbook Pro exclusively as a personal computer for the last 18 months, I consider it to be the most miserable computer I have ever owned. I have had endless problems with it, and yet it cost $1,000 more than the Asus notebook I was considering of equal (and in some aspects, better) technical specs. I will never choose to own an Apple computer again after my experience, and it baffles me that some of my friends continue to buy from them in light of their own experiences.

Having said that, I will admit that Apple makes itself very available for tech support and repair. In almost every major metro area, Apple has at least one Genius bar in a local Apple store. In each case of trouble with our Macs, my friends and I (until my warranty ran out) turned to Apple for our support. From what I know of them, everyone I know that owns an iPhone, iPod, Macbook, or other Apple product goes to Apple when they have a problem, not a third-party tech support group.

In other words? I call foul on Rescuecom's claim of "Factual, unbiased data."

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]didnt he already post this a few months ago?[/citation]
There's several companies that release this same statistic. For example, squaretrade lists them currently at Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Apple, Dell (in that order, best first). I recall seeing a similar article as well; I'm guessing it was based on another source.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
For example, those experiencing difficulties with a Mac might choose to deal directly with Applecare rather than Rescuecom, which wouldn't be tracked in the aforementioned report.

...correct. Becuase I don't remember the last time an Apple user had a choice in this matter (i.e. not going to the Apple store).

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
A completely useless group of "statistics" presented as facts to promote more unnecessary Apple propaganda. Why would any Apple users call a PC repair company instead of dealing with Apple directly? These people have been trained to run to Apple for any problems with Apple devices.

chopsuei3

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Chances are that the majority (>95%) of Apple users use the Genius Bar. So the rest of Apple users (other ~5%) use third party services like Rescuecom. VERY roughly speaking, you can make the argument that for every 1 Apple computer Rescuecom repairs, the Genius Bar must repair 19 Apple computers. Hmmmm...

Also, Dell packages most systems with a warranty (at least if you just click and buy, and not configure),so I would expect Dell's numbers to be skewed also.

Although you can make the same argument about most OEMs...hah

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies having HW problems with the ranking? It's not a windblow$, or osx issue - if you like it or not, the metric referred in the classification is a mixed one: "Reliability is attributed to a combination of two areas: quality of components used by a manufacturer, and the success of after sale support provided by the manufacturer."
From this point of view apple's top reliability is valid - it offers a great lu$er experience, by having reliable HW, and/or great in-house support services, so an apple lu$er feels less need to go to third parties (rescuecom, in this case). Explained in laymen terms: even if the HW is crappy, the support is excellent, or vice versa, or somewhere in between.
As for the windumbed comments that a mac is not a pc, all are pcs - newer ones even use identical HW - just that the one you're considering to be a pc, is actually one from the ibm (compatible) bunch...
ps: No dell crap fanboys complaining?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This article isn't about the quality of the computer but rather the support given. As they state, bad tech support leads customers to call a 3rd party tech support company such as Rescuecom.

Although HP might show huge numbers here, it may only mean that HP's tech support can't keep up with their sales volume. It doesn't mean that the HP laptops suck. By this article's statistics gathering, the top brand Apple could very well have many more bad systems, but their tech support is good, so fewer people call Rescuecom for support.

It is an interesting article if you understand its meaning. It is by no means saying Apple has the most reliable computers, just the best Tech support.

conebone96

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
This is the most useless set of data I have ever seen. Of course the companies who sell less computers will have less calls. Hp sold 6,000,000 (six million) PCs last year at 26.6% market share. for asus that would equate to 180,000 units at lets say 3% market share. of course more people are going to call on hps that asus. how old are these computers that are having problems? USELESS USELESS data.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
so as HP has a quarter of the market, it makes sense their rating is going to be down...more chances to stuff up...
it should be out of x amount sold, y amounts of complaints were filed...

[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]Wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies having HW problems with the ranking? It's not a windblow$, or osx issue - if you like it or not, the metric referred in the classification is a mixed one: "Reliability is attributed to a combination of two areas: quality of components used by a manufacturer, and the success of after sale support provided by the manufacturer."From this point of view apple's top reliability is valid - it offers a great lu$er experience, by having reliable HW, and/or great in-house support services, so an apple lu$er feels less need to go to third parties (rescuecom, in this case). Explained in laymen terms: even if the HW is crappy, the support is excellent, or vice versa, or somewhere in between.As for the windumbed comments that a mac is not a pc, all are pcs - newer ones even use identical HW - just that the one you're considering to be a pc, is actually one from the ibm (compatible) bunch...ps: No dell crap fanboys complaining?[/citation]

You are hilarious, entertain us more. Your whine is music to my ears.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its fun that apple can't blow the reliability scores of the roof considering that their os is made only for certain configurations while windows is made for them all. Then add apples weak marketshare wich result in fewer attempts to make malware ect its truly low levels imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS