administrator logon added when going into safe mode

July 2, 2004 12:37:51 AM

using xp home edition, dell computer, 2.5 mos old. i am inquiring general
info regarding a new logon, "administrator" appears on the logon screen when
going into safe mode

why is this created? can you access it without going into safe mode?

i had a problem locating a file, Dc1.dll, norton AV 2004 detected as an
adware item. it gave location of:
C:\Recycler\S-1-5-21-841434637-2603344999-1784572732-500\Dc1.dll

i have 3 users set up on machine.(all have admin privileges). emptied the 3
recycle bins several times, but file kept appearing in norton's scans. i
remembered having to go into safe mode one time, to clean spyware. went into
the newly created administrator logon because i thought i should. in
cleaning, the Dc1.dll file was deleted. it went into "administrator's"
recycle bin. i didn't think to go back into safe mode & log on to the
administrator & check the recycle bin there until recently. i emptied the
recycly bin in admin, & now norton scans clean.

any feedback appreciated. i had posted my problem in this forum:

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5376&postdays=0&...

thanks, len kiesling
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:37:52 AM

Leonard;
That is the Default Administrator and has always been there.

With retail Windows XP, the Administrator account is visible until
another account is created.
OEMs sometimes do it differently so it may be hidden from the
beginning.

Sometimes as you found out, it may be a good idea to use the
Administrator in Safe Mode.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/