system restore problems

Hi. When I try to run system restore I get the following message:

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."

I have restarted and tried again but it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about system restore problems

    Check your other post under Help and Support

    "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Hi. When I try to run system restore I get the following message:
    >"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."
    >I have restarted and tried again but it still doesn't work.
    >>Any suggestions?
    >Thanks

    You can try: Once in there, click to "turn off system restore". Then after
    it is done doing it's deleting thing, reboot the computer. Go back in there
    and turn on system restore. Also while you are in there, move the slider
    thingy where it reserves MBs on your hard drive for recording restore point -
    move it to about 1000 MBs. Usually if you have a large HD it is way too
    high). Then reboot again just for the sake of it. Now go back into system
    restore the 3rd time and create a restore point to see if it works. Cross
    your fingers.

    ....D.

    Hi Karl,

    Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "...D." wrote:

    > "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >Hi. When I try to run system restore I get the following message:
    > >"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."
    > >I have restarted and tried again but it still doesn't work.
    > >>Any suggestions?
    > >Thanks
    >
    > You can try: Once in there, click to "turn off system restore". Then after
    > it is done doing it's deleting thing, reboot the computer. Go back in there
    > and turn on system restore. Also while you are in there, move the slider
    > thingy where it reserves MBs on your hard drive for recording restore point -
    > move it to about 1000 MBs. Usually if you have a large HD it is way too
    > high). Then reboot again just for the sake of it. Now go back into system
    > restore the 3rd time and create a restore point to see if it works. Cross
    > your fingers.
    >
    > ....D.

Computers Microsoft System Restore Windows XP