Sign in with
Your question

Really Stupid Question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 5, 2002 11:55:53 PM

I have a REALLY stupid question: I have extra fans that came attached to the case with power cords but where do I plug them into. I don't have all of the parts so maybe where it is supposed to go is not here but I feel really dumb because I am majoring in Computers in college but I haven't built a computer in about 2 years and those systems didn't really need extra fans. I'm hoping where it is supposed to go hasn't arrived yet. Thanks everyone and please overlook my ignorance on this subject!

More about : stupid question

August 6, 2002 12:22:35 AM

ewifjldsf\ndvaui\n,cn\d ndvlerjlfmlvmxnvzxfkbaufhsdnfdf

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
August 6, 2002 12:24:36 AM

Do they fit the plug ends on the PSU?

If they're smaller, three-hole types, then they fit onto FAN-2 FAN-3 etc on the mobo.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:
Related resources
August 6, 2002 12:28:11 AM

depends on the connectors.
if they are small 3 pin connectors they can plug into the motherboard (assuming the motherboard has enough ports). if they are larger 4 pin connectors they connect directly up to molex connectors from the PSU.

course you dont have to plug them ALL in. some cases come with an obsene number of fans.
or or two, back and front, is usually sufficient.

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 6, 2002 12:30:08 AM

u ok there camie? u look as if a hamster just ran up your trouserleg! :lol: 

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 6, 2002 12:31:15 AM

Just couldn't resist it.

August 6, 2002 12:33:54 AM

The Side Door fan comes with a four hole female and male end but I looked at the PSU and they don't have any male connectors and I don't have the motherboard yet(kinda thought thats where it went). If they go on the motherboard will the place be difficult to find and if I decide to plug them up to the PSU how do I know if the connectors should be used for that...I think there are 2 or 3 additional fans..I am running an XP so I am wondering how many additional fans I should plug in...thanks for the responds...they have helped!
August 6, 2002 12:42:22 AM

well as they are molex connectors they should plug right into a psu lead... female to male (i think) course your psu has to have enough available connectors. cheap psu's have only a limited number, and you may require splitter cables. (or if the casefans have 1 male and 1 female then you could link them up in a chain)

i too run an athlon XP processor, and all i use is a medium speed rear casefan plus the psu.
1 rear casefan is sufficient, provided its got (and yours should have) ample room for the air to get in.
or a couple of alternatives that are commonly used:
rear casefan blowing out, front sucking in or
rear casefan blowing out, side sucking in.

August 6, 2002 12:44:35 AM

It's an Enermax Case and PSU so I expect it to be Quality!!
August 6, 2002 1:27:08 AM

oh cool.
then u really should have no problems. (nor need all the fans unless you want your case to be able to HOVER lol)

August 6, 2002 1:42:03 AM

Should a 300 watt Power Supply be sufficient for:
1800XP
GF4 TI4200 128mb
WD 80.0 SE Hardrive
Lite ON Burner
Sound Card
Network Card

I am hoping 300watt is enough because I have already used my budget. FYI PSU is Enermax. Thanks!
August 6, 2002 2:25:56 AM

:smile: yep. a 300W enermax will be fine.

August 6, 2002 3:30:07 AM

Scottish Pig Latin? Or an alien recipe for haggis?

I'm not eating it. Maybe Hammie wil try a bite! I heard he'll eat anything.

Toey

P.S. I haven't answered your email yet because I am temporarily brain dead. No frontal lobe activity detected.

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
August 6, 2002 2:50:40 PM

It's jibberish. Knew you could read it though!

I thought Poobah fed it Koala Bears and Roo cubs.

Quote:
No frontal lobe activity detected

You're in the right place then. :wink:

!