Sign in with
Your question

Computer frame rate problems

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2007 2:42:38 AM

I have an older system, but every game I load (almost) "screen freezes", or in other words has frame rate problems, especially whenever the car is going fast or other people are around. Even smaller games like Mafia, or the bigger games like SIN:Emergence have problems.
I have upgraded my video card and my ram and have had little improvements.
I will also add that movies in WMV don't play right and have frame rate issues as well.
What else can I do/upgrade to get games running right? I was trying to get another year out of this system by getting the new video card, but it helped everything except frame rate. I feel like there is a bottleneck somewhere and I can't find it b/c neither the RAM or the new video card have helped the frame rate problem.

My specs:
1G of DDR2 RAM (all the MOBO will take)
1.8G P4 processor
GeForce 7600GT 256MB (upgraded from a 128MB 6600GT)
80G HD that is about 40% full
235W power supply (my last video card and this card recommend 300W, but my Mobo has a proprietary Compaq plug and and this is as powerful as I can get)

Thanks for any help!
February 13, 2007 9:35:54 AM

Maybe update to a better PSU in the 450-550 range.
February 13, 2007 1:18:56 PM

The Processor is rather outdated, maybe holding the video card back.
The power supply is extremely weak.
Related resources
February 13, 2007 2:03:48 PM

Quote:

What he said. ^^
February 20, 2007 1:07:48 AM

Quote:

What he said. ^^

What they said ^^^^

Plus: update to the latest drivers for your mobo, card and DirectX
February 21, 2007 3:46:46 PM

Quote:
My specs:
1G of DDR2 RAM (all the MOBO will take)
1.8G P4 processor
GeForce 7600GT 256MB (upgraded from a 128MB 6600GT)
80G HD that is about 40% full
235W power supply (my last video card and this card recommend 300W, but my Mobo has a proprietary Compaq plug and and this is as powerful as I can get)

You need a new motherboard, which will necessitate purchasing a new processor and possibly new RAM and a new case. That would also allow you to upgrade the PSU.

Your only other option is to play older games until you can afford to upgrade. Look for "Top 50 Games of All Time" lists and search the bargain bins.
!