Linksys WUSB54G and WRV54G - Timeouts

jago

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem. I'm trying to
figure out why my wireless connection occasionally timeouts, and I can't
tell if the WUSB54G or the WRV54G is at fault. I'm using WPA-PSK with TKIP
encryption. This is what my router is using under Advanced Wireless
Settings:

Authentication Type: Open System
CTS Protection Mode: Auto
Basic Data Rates: All(1-2-5.5-6-11-24)
Control Tx Rates: Auto
Beacon Interval: 100
DTIM Interval: 1
RTS Threshold: 2346
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346

My goal is to use the wireless AP with encryption, so turning it off is not
an option. Right now I'm using a CAT5 cable to the router, and it has
worked perfectly. This leads me to believe that the WUSB54G could be at
fault. Approximately every 30 seconds the WUSB54G will completely stop
transmitting (its link light completely goes out, but the power light
remains lit), then it will continue as normal until it stops transmitting
again. There are no other WAPs in the neighborhood. One thing I noticed
is that the RTS Threshold for the router and the WUSB54G didn't match, so I
changed the router to match the client, both at 2346. This didn't help as
the timeouts still persists, and it's most annoying during games and voice
chats. The WUSB54G has the latest XP driver, and the WRV54G has the latest
firmware. Any ideas? --Jago

I have the same probleme whith my WUSB54G (last driver 1.0.8.0 support WPA)
and WRT54G when I'm using WPA-PSK with TKIP (it works in WEP) :
When I ping the router I lost 1 ping every 30 seconds and sometimes my
connection break down (2 or 3 time a day)
When I connect my PC to the router with another wireless adapter it works
fine so I believe that the WUSB54G is in fault

I tried a lot of things :
- my XP pro is patched
- broadcast SSID enable
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427)
- router firmeware flashed with different versions
- ...

I have no solution for the moment
Someone can help ?

My usb port is not 2.0 (but the linksys says that WUSB54G works with 1.1 )
perhaps it is the probleme and you Jago ?

Thanks
Nico
--sorry for my poor english--

"Jago" <jago@nowhere.net> a écrit dans le message de
> I'm hoping someone here can help me with this problem. I'm trying to
> figure out why my wireless connection occasionally timeouts, and I can't
> tell if the WUSB54G or the WRV54G is at fault. I'm using WPA-PSK with
TKIP
> encryption. This is what my router is using under Advanced Wireless
> Settings:
>
> Authentication Type: Open System
> CTS Protection Mode: Auto
> Basic Data Rates: All(1-2-5.5-6-11-24)
> Control Tx Rates: Auto
> Beacon Interval: 100
> DTIM Interval: 1
> RTS Threshold: 2346
> Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
>
> My goal is to use the wireless AP with encryption, so turning it off is
not
> an option. Right now I'm using a CAT5 cable to the router, and it has
> worked perfectly. This leads me to believe that the WUSB54G could be at
> fault. Approximately every 30 seconds the WUSB54G will completely stop
> transmitting (its link light completely goes out, but the power light
> remains lit), then it will continue as normal until it stops transmitting
> again. There are no other WAPs in the neighborhood. One thing I noticed
> is that the RTS Threshold for the router and the WUSB54G didn't match, so
> changed the router to match the client, both at 2346. This didn't help as
> the timeouts still persists, and it's most annoying during games and voice
> chats. The WUSB54G has the latest XP driver, and the WRV54G has the
latest
> firmware. Any ideas? --Jago

jago

"Nico" <x@x.x> wrote in news:410f538e$0$4567$626a14ce@news.free.fr:

> I have the same probleme whith my WUSB54G (last driver 1.0.8.0 support
> WPA) and WRT54G when I'm using WPA-PSK with TKIP (it works in WEP) :
> When I ping the router I lost 1 ping every 30 seconds and sometimes my
> connection break down (2 or 3 time a day)
> When I connect my PC to the router with another wireless adapter it
> works fine so I believe that the WUSB54G is in fault
>
> I tried a lot of things :
> - my XP pro is patched
> - broadcast SSID enable
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427)
> - router firmeware flashed with different versions
> - ...
>
> I have no solution for the moment
> Someone can help ?
>
> My usb port is not 2.0 (but the linksys says that WUSB54G works with
> 1.1 ) perhaps it is the probleme and you Jago ?
>
> Thanks
> Nico
> --sorry for my poor english--

I found the culprit, though it's quite an annoying one. The wireless
zero configuration utility is at fault for the timesouts, so I partially
resolved the issue by completely disabling the service. When this is
off, the timeouts completely disappear. However, there's one catch.
After I reboot the computer, the WUSB54G will not making any connection
to the internet or the router itself, even though the security settings
are correct, and the IPs have been properly set (I manually set them).
However, the adapter makes absolutely no data transfers to anywhere until
I turn on the zero wireless utility.

I initially thought that the utility was strictly for configuring
wireless adapters, but it looks like in my case it's also involved with
making the initial transfers. What's weird to me is that after the
WUSB54G is able to transfer packets, I can disable the wireless config
utility under Services, and the adapter will continue to work with ZERO
timeouts until the next reboot. The same exact thing happened with an
SMC wireless device I previously used. My laptop has a PCMCIA Linksys
adapter with the config utility enabled, and it also experiences no
timeouts. This leads me to believe a) the zero config utility is needed
for initial transfers with USB devices, b) it's an issue with the zero
config utility and USB, c) the USB on my motherboard is that picky (other
USB devices [mouse, gamepad, MIDI controller, and printer] work fine), or
d) my computer is affected by the moon.

So far the only workaround is to enable the config utility at boot,
double check the adapter by accessing the internet or perform a simple
ping, then disable the config utility service upon success. It's a pain,
but it's the only solution I've found so far. This is also with the
latest router firmware (WRV54G) and drivers (WUSB54G). Hopefully, this
might help you as well. --Jago

> So far the only workaround is to enable the config utility at boot,
> double check the adapter by accessing the internet or perform a simple
> ping, then disable the config utility service upon success. It's a pain,
> but it's the only solution I've found so far. This is also with the
> latest router firmware (WRV54G) and drivers (WUSB54G). Hopefully, this
> might help you as well. --Jago

Thanks for your response
Your solution works fine with my config
I have no deconnection when stop the service (after the boot)

I read that microsoft made an update of the wifi config service in XP SP2
perhaps this problem will desappear

Nico

SOS571s

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

Thankyou so much Jago. This has finally fixed that timeout problem. I'm
just curious as to how you figured this out. The Wireless zero
configuration is so hidden that it just seems odd for that to be the
culprit. Anyway, thankyou very much for the information

--
SOS571s

jago

SOS571s <SOS571s.1b5y0y@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in

> Thankyou so much Jago. This has finally fixed that timeout problem. I'm
> just curious as to how you figured this out. The Wireless zero
> configuration is so hidden that it just seems odd for that to be the
> culprit. Anyway, thankyou very much for the information

It was all trial-n-error. Unfortunately, I found a new problem. I cannot
use WPA with the zero configuration utility disabled. I can disable it
once the initial connection has been made, but future connections kill the
association to my router. This doesn't occur with WEP. I'd like to use
WPA, but the utility will have to stay enabled, which means dealing with
timeouts once again. :-( So it's WEP and being proactive with WEP key
changing for now until I can fix this issue. Even Service Pack 2 for XP
didn't cure it. I might have to settle with a PCI card that can use a
detachable antenna. Cheers!

--
Jago
"The way to do is to be."