  • Mice
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 2, 2004 6:21:30 PM

Couple new things. I've been using win98 for the past 7 years, but now have 2
new items a mouse with a scroll wheel and win xp pro.

I've dug thru just about everything I could find to see if I could get this
mouse to respond when I move it.

But so far nothing.
It sits there I'm guessing just to make sure the mouse actually moved for just
the annoyance factor length of time.
then it jerks and catches up.
Other than this nothing wrong with the mouse.

How do I get it to move when I move ?

More about : wake mouse

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:34:03 AM

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> Couple new things. I've been using win98 for the past 7 years, but
> now have 2 new items a mouse with a scroll wheel and win xp pro.
>
> I've dug thru just about everything I could find to see if I could
> get this mouse to respond when I move it.
>
> But so far nothing.
> It sits there I'm guessing just to make sure the mouse actually moved
> for just the annoyance factor length of time.
> then it jerks and catches up.
> Other than this nothing wrong with the mouse.
>
> How do I get it to move when I move ?
>
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

is it a usb mouse
do you have antivirus software installed ?
also ctrl+alt+del
goto processes click the cpu tab (to list processes in order of cpu usage)
and see which process is hogging the cpu (as this can cause mouse slowdown)
endtask it and see how things are. if things are fine don't let it run
anymore by using uninstall, msconfig/start-up or disable it in services as
you probably got a load of services running you don't need.
i'd download and run these be sure to update them

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ adaware

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download spybot

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download cwshredder

http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693 spyware blaster

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html some other usefull removal
tools

also do a full virus scan
--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 3, 2004 3:01:05 PM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:34:03 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
<"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>> Couple new things. I've been using win98 for the past 7 years, but
>> now have 2 new items a mouse with a scroll wheel and win xp pro.
>>
>> I've dug thru just about everything I could find to see if I could
>> get this mouse to respond when I move it.
>>
>> But so far nothing.
>> It sits there I'm guessing just to make sure the mouse actually moved
>> for just the annoyance factor length of time.
>> then it jerks and catches up.
>> Other than this nothing wrong with the mouse.
>>
>> How do I get it to move when I move ?
>>
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
>
>is it a usb mouse
yes
>do you have antivirus software installed ?
yes
>also ctrl+alt+del
>goto processes click the cpu tab (to list processes in order of cpu usage)
>and see which process is hogging the cpu (as this can cause mouse slowdown)
>endtask it and see how things are. if things are fine don't let it run
>anymore by using uninstall, msconfig/start-up or disable it in services as
>you probably got a load of services running you don't need.
>i'd download and run these be sure to update them
99% idle all others = 0

Nothing looked out of place.
if the mouse sits anywhere for more than a second or two it sort of goes to
sleep. When I move, I'm looking where it should be, and it's still asleep where
it was. Sometimes it takes 2 clicks to run something also, along with the sleep
analogy.

And just found out another annoyance. Maybe just need more practice. but if I
select something with the mouse it runs it instead of just highlighting it. ie:
adding attachments, if I just want to drop the mouse on one item to scroll thru
what's in the directory it fires up what I dropped it on. I have to find an
empty are of the directory to drop the mouse.

>also do a full virus scan
BTDT.
Just now, mouse has been sitting to the side while typing this. went to move it
to save and send, mouse and me disagree on when to move. It moves, just doesn't
move immediately when asked. But bounce it on the mouse pad and it's bound to
show a right click menu.
I'd say increase it's sensitivity if it had that option. But it's already too
sensitive.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 7:17:30 PM

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:34:03 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
> <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>>> Couple new things. I've been using win98 for the past 7 years, but
>>> now have 2 new items a mouse with a scroll wheel and win xp pro.
>>>
>>> I've dug thru just about everything I could find to see if I could
>>> get this mouse to respond when I move it.
>>>
>>> But so far nothing.
>>> It sits there I'm guessing just to make sure the mouse actually
>>> moved for just the annoyance factor length of time.
>>> then it jerks and catches up.
>>> Other than this nothing wrong with the mouse.
>>>
>>> How do I get it to move when I move ?
>>>
>>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
>>
>> is it a usb mouse
> yes
>> do you have antivirus software installed ?
> yes
>> also ctrl+alt+del
>> goto processes click the cpu tab (to list processes in order of cpu
>> usage) and see which process is hogging the cpu (as this can cause
>> mouse slowdown) endtask it and see how things are. if things are
>> fine don't let it run anymore by using uninstall, msconfig/start-up
>> or disable it in services as you probably got a load of services
>> running you don't need.
>> i'd download and run these be sure to update them
> 99% idle all others = 0
>
> Nothing looked out of place.
> if the mouse sits anywhere for more than a second or two it sort of
> goes to sleep. When I move, I'm looking where it should be, and it's
> still asleep where it was. Sometimes it takes 2 clicks to run
> something also, along with the sleep analogy.
>
> And just found out another annoyance. Maybe just need more practice.
> but if I select something with the mouse it runs it instead of just
> highlighting it. ie: adding attachments, if I just want to drop the
> mouse on one item to scroll thru what's in the directory it fires up
> what I dropped it on. I have to find an empty are of the directory to
> drop the mouse.
>
>> also do a full virus scan
> BTDT.
> Just now, mouse has been sitting to the side while typing this. went
> to move it to save and send, mouse and me disagree on when to move.
> It moves, just doesn't move immediately when asked. But bounce it on
> the mouse pad and it's bound to show a right click menu.
> I'd say increase it's sensitivity if it had that option. But it's
> already too sensitive.
>
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

are you using norton antivirus ?
also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers and uses system
resorces. so if your processor is under heavy load your mouse will be slow
to respond.

make sure all your system drivers are up to date and all microsoft updates
are applied then download and run these be sure to update them

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ adaware

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download spybot

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download cwshredder

http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693 spyware blaster

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html some other usefull removal
tools

for your mouse clicking

Click on the START MENU > CONTROL PANEL >
NOTE: If you're in the Windows XP mode in Control Panel - Click on the
Appearance and Themes icon - If you have in the Classic mode then just
simply click on the -

FOLDER OPTIONS> Now you see the Click items as follows - go down to the
little of Single Click to open an item - and if you want to you can click on
one of Underline..... tools --doesn't do much though!

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 3, 2004 7:17:31 PM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:17:30 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"

>are you using norton antivirus ?
no trend
>also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers and uses system
>resorces. so if your processor is under heavy load your mouse will be slow
>to respond.
maybe once this mouse dies. For now this one will have to do it's less than a
week old.

>make sure all your system drivers are up to date and all microsoft updates
>are applied then download and run these be sure to update them
Entire machine is less than a week old.

>for your mouse clicking
>
>Click on the START MENU > CONTROL PANEL >
>NOTE: If you're in the Windows XP mode in Control Panel - Click on the
>Appearance and Themes icon - If you have in the Classic mode then just
>simply click on the -
>
>FOLDER OPTIONS> Now you see the Click items as follows - go down to the
>little of Single Click to open an item - and if you want to you can click on
>one of Underline..... tools --doesn't do much though!

BTDT. That's why I'm asking here in the NG. I'm fairly familiar with computers
and different OS and how to find stuff, but I'm thinking there's TOO MUCH help
with XP. actually there was too much help for win 98 also. type 1 or 2 words
into search and get a hundred pages of helps.

So far other than the CTRL-ALT-DEL I'd tried everything else.
If you can think of anything else to help make this mouse catch on to when I
move just a bit faster than it's current way I'm all ears.

sensitive = just moved the mouse to send and it highlighted the line 2
paragraphs up. It's like the thing isn't really listening to the USB port.
Everything else here is super fast. it's the 3.2 gig P4.
July 3, 2004 7:17:32 PM

<SNIP> also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers and uses
system
> >resorces. so if your processor is under heavy load your mouse will be
slow
> >to respond.

Question for you, Kelly.

I have a USB mouse that came with a ps2 adapter. Does it still need drivers
and use system resources if I use the adapter and plug into the ps2 jack?

Just curious.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:01:45 AM

"Zimagirl79" <zimagirl79@comcast.net> wrote in message
> <SNIP> also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers
> and uses system
>>> resorces. so if your processor is under heavy load your mouse will
>>> be slow to respond.
>
> Question for you, Kelly.
>
> I have a USB mouse that came with a ps2 adapter. Does it still need
> drivers and use system resources if I use the adapter and plug into
> the ps2 jack?
>
> Just curious.

shoulden't do but if it has programable buttons you might the software that
came with the mouse.
you will find a ps2 mouse responds faster in games and when the cpu is under
load or the is a lot of disk activity, also a usb mouse will not work in
"dos" i.e. disk management tools you can boot to from a floppy. can't
remember but i don't think it will work in safe mode either, but if I'm
wrong someone will correct me.

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 4, 2004 1:01:46 AM

You're correct, it doesn't work in safe mode. Thanks for the info.

"Kelly Cotter" <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
in message news:Z8FFc.3149$lu4.27744298@news-text.cableinet.net...
> "Zimagirl79" <zimagirl79@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > <SNIP> also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers
> > and uses system
> >
> > Question for you, Kelly.
> >
> > I have a USB mouse that came with a ps2 adapter. Does it still need
> > drivers and use system resources if I use the adapter and plug into
> > the ps2 jack?
> >
> > Just curious.
>
> shoulden't do but if it has programable buttons you might the software
that
> came with the mouse.
> you will find a ps2 mouse responds faster in games and when the cpu is
under
> load or the is a lot of disk activity, also a usb mouse will not work in
> "dos" i.e. disk management tools you can boot to from a floppy. can't
> remember but i don't think it will work in safe mode either, but if I'm
> wrong someone will correct me.
>
> --
> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>

> ---

July 4, 2004 3:54:07 AM

> You're correct, it doesn't work in safe mode. Thanks for the info.
>
> "Kelly Cotter"
> <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:Z8FFc.3149$lu4.27744298@news-text.cableinet.net...
>> "Zimagirl79" <zimagirl79@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> <SNIP> also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers
>>> and uses system
>>>
>>> Question for you, Kelly.
>>>
>>> I have a USB mouse that came with a ps2 adapter. Does it still need
>>> drivers and use system resources if I use the adapter and plug into
>>> the ps2 jack?
>>>
>>> Just curious.
>>
>> shoulden't do but if it has programable buttons you might the
>> software that came with the mouse.
>> you will find a ps2 mouse responds faster in games and when the cpu
>> is under load or the is a lot of disk activity, also a usb mouse
>> will not work in "dos" i.e. disk management tools you can boot to
>> from a floppy. can't remember but i don't think it will work in safe
>> mode either, but if I'm wrong someone will correct me.
>>
>> --
>> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
>> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>>

>> ---

glad to help

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 4, 2004 3:55:10 AM

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:17:30 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
>>
>> are you using norton antivirus ?
> no trend
>> also i would recomend using a ps2 mouse as usb needs drivers and
>> uses system resorces. so if your processor is under heavy load your
>> mouse will be slow to respond.
> maybe once this mouse dies. For now this one will have to do it's
> less than a week old.
>

>> make sure all your system drivers are up to date and all microsoft
>> updates are applied then download and run these be sure to update
>> them
> Entire machine is less than a week old.
>
>> for your mouse clicking
>>
>> Click on the START MENU > CONTROL PANEL >
>> NOTE: If you're in the Windows XP mode in Control Panel - Click on
>> the Appearance and Themes icon - If you have in the Classic mode
>> then just simply click on the -
>>
>> FOLDER OPTIONS> Now you see the Click items as follows - go down to
>> the little of Single Click to open an item - and if you want to you
>> can click on one of Underline..... tools --doesn't do much though!
>
> BTDT. That's why I'm asking here in the NG. I'm fairly familiar with
> computers and different OS and how to find stuff, but I'm thinking
> there's TOO MUCH help with XP. actually there was too much help for
> win 98 also. type 1 or 2 words into search and get a hundred pages of
> helps.
>
> So far other than the CTRL-ALT-DEL I'd tried everything else.
> If you can think of anything else to help make this mouse catch on to
> when I move just a bit faster than it's current way I'm all ears.
>
> sensitive = just moved the mouse to send and it highlighted the line 2
> paragraphs up. It's like the thing isn't really listening to the USB
> port. Everything else here is super fast. it's the 3.2 gig P4.
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

buy a usb to pst conector the cost about £2

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 4, 2004 3:55:11 AM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:55:10 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
I don't know what £2 is, but this is all new to me [XP pro, wheeled mouse,
programs installing b4 I can remove the mouse from the install button, more
memory than I know what to do with.] And then there's the fact my CD writer
software is incompatible, and made most of my CD's unreadable by XP. Sheesh.
Already spent plenty on this. I've been on a P1 166 mhz for the past 7 years. I
can get used to a mouse with a mind of it's own. Actually I really need to get
used to the whole thing. Just thought maybe there was something I hadn't
already found on this machine to tell this thing move when I move. Actually
this is the more expensive mouse. It came with the machine because there wasn't
anything cheaper on hand.

>buy a usb to pst conector the cost about £2

July 4, 2004 10:43:37 AM

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:55:10 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
> I don't know what £2 is, but this is all new to me [XP pro, wheeled
> mouse, programs installing b4 I can remove the mouse from the install
> button, more memory than I know what to do with.] And then there's
> the fact my CD writer software is incompatible, and made most of my
> CD's unreadable by XP. Sheesh. Already spent plenty on this. I've
> been on a P1 166 mhz for the past 7 years. I can get used to a mouse
> with a mind of it's own. Actually I really need to get used to the
> whole thing. Just thought maybe there was something I hadn't already
> found on this machine to tell this thing move when I move. Actually
> this is the more expensive mouse. It came with the machine because
> there wasn't anything cheaper on hand.
>
>> buy a usb to pst conector the cost about £2
>
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

£2 = $4 ish

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---
July 4, 2004 2:00:10 PM

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 06:43:37 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
<"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Actually I wasn't asking. But I found I go thru mice like cheerios. So the next
one probably will be a ps2 assuming it can come with a wheel also.
and the mice go for about that here.

>"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:55:10 GMT, "Kelly Cotter"
>> I don't know what £2 is, but this is all new to me [XP pro, wheeled
>> mouse, programs installing b4 I can remove the mouse from the install
>> button, more memory than I know what to do with.] And then there's
>> the fact my CD writer software is incompatible, and made most of my
>> CD's unreadable by XP. Sheesh. Already spent plenty on this. I've
>> been on a P1 166 mhz for the past 7 years. I can get used to a mouse
>> with a mind of it's own. Actually I really need to get used to the
>> whole thing. Just thought maybe there was something I hadn't already
>> found on this machine to tell this thing move when I move. Actually
>> this is the more expensive mouse. It came with the machine because
>> there wasn't anything cheaper on hand.
>>
>>> buy a usb to pst conector the cost about £2
>>
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
>
>£2 = $4 ish

October 11, 2010 5:40:51 AM

Just wanted to respond to a previous poster that a USB mouse will work in Safe Mode. I have XP Pro and only use a USB and have had to boot into Safe Mode many times.