Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 2 Crashing from Audio in Vista Ultimate

Last response: in Video Games
February 11, 2007 1:21:49 AM

Hey everyone,
I just got Windows Vista Ultimate and a nice new Broadband net connection. I picked up Battlefield 2 to celebrate, but it hasn't been too successful yet. I have an X-Fi Platinum sound card, and whenever I try to go into the sound settings menu Battlefield 2 will immediately crash to the desktop. It does the same thing every time it connects with a server. Can anybody help me out?
Thank a ton,
Jack
February 11, 2007 10:57:48 AM

Do you have the latest patch installed for BF2? Also do you use the latest drivers for your sound card?
If yes and still crashing try to reinstall the game. Others are playing BF2 in Vista so it hast to work. I am not sure if you can set your sound quality to super high under Vista because the sound works a little differently in Vista than it did in XP, for X-Fi sound cards.

Good luck
February 11, 2007 11:06:19 AM

Yea, I have all the latest drivers and battlefield 2 is updated to v.1.41 so I guess I'll try installing it again. I really want to play!!
Thanks,
Jack
Related resources
February 11, 2007 11:09:07 AM

While i was testing Vista i had BF2142 installed and i could play it no problem, so i don't see why BF2 would not work under Vista since it is pretty much the same game.
February 11, 2007 11:29:48 AM

Yea, I'm sure it will work eventually. It's just a matter of messing around with it until it does...
February 11, 2007 11:30:52 AM

What version of Vista do you using? (32bit/64bit?)
February 11, 2007 11:32:25 AM

I'm using 32 bit, so all the drivers are there. The X-Fi driver hasn't been updated by Creative since December 28th, but it works fine for everything else. The reason I suspect that's the one causing conflicts is just that I can't even enter the sound options menu.
February 11, 2007 11:41:02 AM

In that case maybe it wouldn't hurt to try to reinstall that as well. Just in case. I actually had issues with BF2 under XP just recently and i had to reinstall it as well. Now everything works fine.
February 11, 2007 11:47:46 AM

Alright, I'll try that. Should I uninstall the current driver first, or can I just install right over top of it?
February 11, 2007 11:49:00 AM

I would definietly uninstall first.
February 12, 2007 3:20:26 AM

Ok, first off your sound card running under Vista is basically useless. Microsoft decided that with Vista features like DirectSound, EAX, and many of Creative Lab's sound features are disabled off the back. Under XP, these features would work by accesses the kernel files of the OS. With Vista doing so is not possible. Right now Creative Labs is trying to use a way to emulate the sound features of all thier cards under Vista at present. I have no idea if thier patch is out but your Direct Sound, EAX and sound X-Fi features wont be operating at present.
October 27, 2007 6:04:29 PM

NeonBlackJack, I have EXACTLY the same problem and I can confirm the following:

It's not Vista as I have had it running on Vista Ultimate 64bit without problems. The problem lies with the X-Fi card and I have yet to find a solution.

My problem arose after I upgraded to 4Gig and updated to the latest X-fi drivers, it was fine with 2Gig and the older drivers.

How much memory do you have installed? and what driver version do you have?

The X-fi is fine with every other game I've played so don't be dis-heartened about the X-fi card under Vista.
October 29, 2007 7:46:29 PM

I have the same problem as well. The strange is that i used to be able to play the game for 6 solid months and then all of a sudden the game crashes when i try to go to the audio tab or load a game in multiplayer or single player. I havent tweaked any of the settings.
October 30, 2007 3:00:38 PM

I have issues with BF2 as well. I can play single player just fine. When I try to play online the game will only last a few minutes before crashing to desktop without any errors. Vista Home premium 32 bit - all drivers upgraded - brand new gaming rig.
October 30, 2007 9:14:12 PM

Hi I've been playing BF2 as my username <----- for a while shall we say and have come into loads of problems with it but i found a trick to generally sort out all problems goes bit like this takes around 30-40 mins normally for me. This is for most problems for BF.....

Complete uninstall of BF and addon/s
Restart/ Reinstall but in order of release date i.e BF-SP-EF-AF
Then apply patch 1.41
Next is 'Punkbuster' this took a while to work out but simply d/l http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php place into your pb folder in relevant disc drive then run it. Fairly simple prog detect games then click on BF2 then update does it's gubbins then sorted until PB kicks you the next time ggrrrrrr..

Routers/firewalls are the main problem if your getting connectivity issues I myself :sarcastic:  personally don't have any active firewall or virus scan and never have any problems but i don't want to be held responsibale if you do get one use your judgement. Routers and firewalls all have there own different menu's i can't give much help with those soz :pfff: 

Rearding X-fi i had a similar problem couldn't select x-fi to allow eax and ultra high 128 voices... Uninstall/restart/reinstall x-fi drivers then make sure it's on game mode with everything else on default i.e 24 bit crystalizer etc....

If this doesn't fix your problem just ask an i'm sure i can find out if i haven't already had it :D  hope this solves some of your problem, and if you see me online or as my mess around profile {a_herring} in BF watch yer head :p 

November 5, 2007 6:26:31 PM

synt said:
I have the same problem as well. The strange is that i used to be able to play the game for 6 solid months and then all of a sudden the game crashes when i try to go to the audio tab or load a game in multiplayer or single player. I havent tweaked any of the settings.

Synt, how much memory do you have and what sound card do you have? This is something we need to get to the bottom of, my BF2 and BF2142 are both on the shelves until this is solved.

Here's to COD 4 if I can't get it sorted.
November 14, 2007 4:52:21 AM

I have the same problem.
What worked for me:
Disable high definition audio device in the device manager.
February 12, 2008 12:26:44 PM

Hey guys

I hope this thread didn't die, 'cause I have the exact same problem... i've tried everything and nothing works

I'm playing Battlefield 2142 on the X-FI platinum sound card, and I just installed Vista... no trouble at all 'till I installed vista. Now the game just dies every time i go to the audio tab in options, or if I try to start a game.

I tried reinstalling drivers for the sound card over and over, deleting all traces of the old drivers first

I tried reinstalling BF, of course first removing any trace of the game

I tried disabling the HD audio device

I tried playing with all audio settings on default in game mode

Please help me :( 
April 18, 2008 7:30:10 PM

Ok, I had this problem for a long time too for BF2 and I just got it figured out for me.
I also have Windows Vista.
> Go to control panel
> Hardware and Sound
> View Hardware and Devices
> Click sound, video and game controllers

Now this is where I hope we have the same:
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
Realtek High Definition Audio

I have 11 DrmRDriverV32 things under there, so what I did was right click each one individually and click disable
After you disable all of them (11 for me) It should work fine.

If you don't have that many, try disabling whatever many you do have, and leave the last Realtek alone.
Hope we have the same!

Let me know how it goes,
Good Luck!
April 20, 2008 12:47:28 AM

hi guys im the woner of atu game servers will i have to tell you there are alot of good ideals here the truth is vista is not suporeted for games but good news all you have to do is up date your drivers in Deviesce Manger nowing wich one is the fun part so i up dated all of them the one you need to up date is your display adapters.. now i can play any game. now i play dc fainl on vista and no mess some times i get kicked to dicktop so i deleted the administartors password and took over my computer i hope this help you now on to my game dc final im Nunya a map modder for DAGLs game server
June 25, 2008 9:08:02 PM

Guys I worked almost a week on this same problem except that I have a Creative Audigy 4. I have the program Tunebite installed and when i disabled the high speed dubbing option in Device Manager under Sound Devices everything works peachy! I would suggest that if you have any audio dubbing / conversion drivers installed disable them. Thanks for all your help and I'm glad I found a solution! Hope this info works for the original poster.

I have Vista Home Premium, Creative Audigy 4, BF 2142 patched with version 1.5.
June 27, 2008 10:57:08 AM

ShawnBF2 said:
Ok, I had this problem for a long time too for BF2 and I just got it figured out for me.
I also have Windows Vista.
> Go to control panel
> Hardware and Sound
> View Hardware and Devices
> Click sound, video and game controllers

Now this is where I hope we have the same:
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
DrmRDriverV32
Realtek High Definition Audio

I have 11 DrmRDriverV32 things under there, so what I did was right click each one individually and click disable
After you disable all of them (11 for me) It should work fine.

If you don't have that many, try disabling whatever many you do have, and leave the last Realtek alone.
Hope we have the same!

Let me know how it goes,
Good Luck!

Thank's Shawn! I've been tearing my hair out for the last 3 days trying to fix this damn problem with BF2142. Like the rest of you, I couldn't get into my audio settings or play online w/out it crashing to desktop. I fig it must be some nasty bug deep down in the code that wasn't going to go away until i reinstalled or repatched or both. Cut to 3 re-installs later & i was still having the same frickin problem! I don't think i've ever had to work so hard to get a game just to play right! LOL But then again, has anybody ever really had an easy time with this torturous game? I doubt it! Anyway, your suggestion worked perfectly. The only thing was that i didn't have the "DrmRDriverV32" entries. Just the Realtek driver which I disabled under Device Mangaer/Sound in Vista. That did the trick. Amazing something so simple could fix so many problems. I guess sometimes these nasty lil problems we all have don't always require brute force to fix.
November 12, 2008 2:30:17 AM

Groenne said:
I have the same problem.
What worked for me:
Disable high definition audio device in the device manager.

Hey, thanks man. I know it comes a little late but that fixed my problems right away. Used to crash when I went to the "Audio" tab and once a map loaded, but not anymore! Running Vista Ultimate x64. Thanks guys/TH!
Anonymous
December 5, 2008 4:30:17 PM

Hey everybody. Was having similar problems with BF2 crashing to desktop when clicking on the audio tab or as soon as I joined a server but reading this page helped me fix it. :D 

I have vista 64 and the latest creative x-fi card. I also have a line 6 toneport installed for guitar recording.
So what I did was disable the toneport in the device manager and now bf2 works perfectly! :D :D  I just re-enable the toneport when i need it. No need to uninstall it completely.

So if it's a problem with x-fi or toneport I dunno. but at least it works.

oh i missed this game.
June 9, 2009 10:15:49 AM

i disabled Tunebite audio. and now it works..Thanks :bounce: 
July 19, 2009 8:47:26 PM

I disabled "high definition audio device in the device manager" and now mine works.

using Windows 7.

Thanks allot.

Also windows 7 doesnt support punkbuster so disable that and your fine.
July 19, 2009 8:49:35 PM

actually though I'd like to know, why do I have to disable "high definition audio device in the device manager" to play, seems stupid, I like to use the onboard motherboard sound card for other games but if I disable this it disables the onboard motherboard sound card.....what the hell? So now everytime I want to play other games I have to re-enable it and it makes you restart the PC, and then when I want to play battlefield 2 again I have to disable it and it makes me restart the PC again.....pfffff.....
October 14, 2011 1:41:05 AM

there is a bit of software out there call "VIRTUAL AUDIO CABLE"

get the trial or buy it. if your smart you can get it free. im not going to tell you how due to legal issues. however.

get the software;

create VIRTUAL CABLE 1
set VIRTUAL CABLE 1 as DEFAULT AUDIO DEVICE
start AUDIO REPEATER MME or KS (w/e works better for you)
repeat VIRTUAL CABLE 1 to DEFAULT SOUND MAPPER.
start game
viola

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO OTHER FORUMS!
!