enable/disable wireless networking batch file?

Hey folks,

I have a D-Link DWL-G510 desktop NIC in a machine that frequently
suspends to RAM (by choice and preferred). After about 2-3 hours of being in
suspend mode however, the NIC no longer connects to my Linksys WRT54G.
Actually, there is apparently a connection as evidenced by the D-Link tray
software and the network connection icon, but the IP address is in the range
169.XXX.XXX. Releasing and renewing the IP from a command prompt does not
solve the problem. The only recourse that seems to work to date is to
reboot. A D-Link tech suggested that I disable then re-enable the Wireless
Network adapter from the Control Panel and, although I haven't yet tried
this to see if it works, I would much rather do this via a batch file
because this machine is used by someone who wants simplicity, quick access
and stability. Does anyone know the command prompt switches to disable and
enable a Wireless Network adapter such that I can write the batch file?

Thanks,

Dave

--
______________________________
Remove "yourclothes" to reply directly.

    David Shorthouse wrote:

    >Hey folks,
    >
    > I have a D-Link DWL-G510 desktop NIC in a machine that frequently
    >suspends to RAM (by choice and preferred). After about 2-3 hours of being in
    >suspend mode however, the NIC no longer connects to my Linksys WRT54G.
    >Actually, there is apparently a connection as evidenced by the D-Link tray
    >software and the network connection icon, but the IP address is in the range
    >169.XXX.XXX. Releasing and renewing the IP from a command prompt does not
    >solve the problem. The only recourse that seems to work to date is to
    >reboot. A D-Link tech suggested that I disable then re-enable the Wireless
    >Network adapter from the Control Panel and, although I haven't yet tried
    >this to see if it works, I would much rather do this via a batch file
    >because this machine is used by someone who wants simplicity, quick access
    >and stability. Does anyone know the command prompt switches to disable and
    >enable a Wireless Network adapter such that I can write the batch file?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Dave

    Check out Microsoft's command line device manager, devcon.exe at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272

    I needed this because when I take my laptop from work to home, the
    device 'remembers' the DHCP server address from work and has difficulty
    obtaining an IP address. Sometimes enable/disable would work, sometimes
    not. I use devcon to restart the device. I'm running a logon script to
    do that. (I'm using XP Pro, don't think XP Home can run scripts):

    The script I'm using is:

    REM Restart Wireless connection to force broadcast IP request.
    REM Don't restart if ping successful.
    ping -n 1 yahoo.com
    if %errorlevel% EQU 0 goto end
    devcon restart PCI\VEN_14E4*
    :end

    If you're using Windows 2K or XP, configure Hardware Profiles. You can
    configure it so that you get a boot menu with the option of using either
    card.

    "David Shorthouse" <davidshorthouse@shawyourclothes.ca> wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I have a D-Link DWL-G510 desktop NIC in a machine that frequently
    > suspends to RAM (by choice and preferred). After about 2-3 hours of being
    in
    > suspend mode however, the NIC no longer connects to my Linksys WRT54G.
    > Actually, there is apparently a connection as evidenced by the D-Link tray
    > software and the network connection icon, but the IP address is in the
    range
    > 169.XXX.XXX. Releasing and renewing the IP from a command prompt does not
    > solve the problem. The only recourse that seems to work to date is to
    > reboot. A D-Link tech suggested that I disable then re-enable the Wireless
    > Network adapter from the Control Panel and, although I haven't yet tried
    > this to see if it works, I would much rather do this via a batch file
    > because this machine is used by someone who wants simplicity, quick access
    > and stability. Does anyone know the command prompt switches to disable and
    > enable a Wireless Network adapter such that I can write the batch file?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > ______________________________
    > Remove "yourclothes" to reply directly.

    I think I must not have been clear. I only have the one wireless card. It
    loses its connection to the router upon resume from suspend to RAM.

    Dave

    --
    ______________________________

    Jerry Park <NoReply@no.spam> wrote:
    > Check out Microsoft's command line device manager, devcon.exe at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272

    > I needed this because when I take my laptop from work to home, the
    > device 'remembers' the DHCP server address from work and has difficulty
    > obtaining an IP address. Sometimes enable/disable would work, sometimes
    > not. I use devcon to restart the device. I'm running a logon script to
    > do that. (I'm using XP Pro, don't think XP Home can run scripts):

    Hmmm. My wired connection has suddenly become rather sticky about picking
    up a new IP address. I might try this same tool (Win2000).

    Microsoft Acknowledges the problem with Wireless and Standby on XP, and
    suggests waiting for the WinXP SP2, which I think is due out soon.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810020

    --
    ---

    >> I have a D-Link DWL-G510 desktop NIC in a machine that frequently
    >> suspends to RAM (by choice and preferred). After about 2-3 hours of being
    >> in suspend mode however, the NIC no longer connects to my Linksys WRT54G.
    >> Actually, there is apparently a connection as evidenced by the D-Link
    >> tray software and the network connection icon, but the IP address is in
    >> the range 169.XXX.XXX. Releasing and renewing the IP from a command
    >> prompt does not solve the problem. The only recourse that seems to work
    >> to date is to reboot. A D-Link tech suggested that I disable then
    >> re-enable the Wireless Network adapter from the Control Panel and,
    >> although I haven't yet tried this to see if it works, I would much rather
    >> do this via a batch file because this machine is used by someone who
    >> wants simplicity, quick access and stability. Does anyone know the
    >> command prompt switches to disable and enable a Wireless Network adapter
    >> such that I can write the batch file?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Dave
    >>

    > Check out Microsoft's command line device manager, devcon.exe at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272
    >
    > I needed this because when I take my laptop from work to home, the device
    > 'remembers' the DHCP server address from work and has difficulty obtaining
    > an IP address. Sometimes enable/disable would work, sometimes not. I use
    > devcon to restart the device. I'm running a logon script to do that. (I'm
    > using XP Pro, don't think XP Home can run scripts):
    >
    > The script I'm using is:
    >
    > REM Restart Wireless connection to force broadcast IP request.
    > REM Don't restart if ping successful.
    > ping -n 1 yahoo.com
    > if %errorlevel% EQU 0 goto end
    > devcon restart PCI\VEN_14E4*
    > :end

    Great! I imagine that I'd have to modify the PCI vendor ID to suit my
    device, correct?

    Dave

    > Check out Microsoft's command line device manager, devcon.exe at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272
    >
    > I needed this because when I take my laptop from work to home, the device
    > 'remembers' the DHCP server address from work and has difficulty obtaining
    > an IP address. Sometimes enable/disable would work, sometimes not. I use
    > devcon to restart the device. I'm running a logon script to do that. (I'm
    > using XP Pro, don't think XP Home can run scripts):
    >
    > The script I'm using is:
    >
    > REM Restart Wireless connection to force broadcast IP request.
    > REM Don't restart if ping successful.
    > ping -n 1 yahoo.com
    > if %errorlevel% EQU 0 goto end
    > devcon restart PCI\VEN_14E4*
    > :end

    I modified the PCI device ID to match that of the wireless NIC and this tool
    works great! I scheduled a batch file to run at log on and configured the
    power management to ask for password when resuming from suspend such that
    the batch file has an opportunity to run.

    Thanks for the help,

    Dave

    hi All

    Could I have the exact syntax to disable and enable the network card.
    If I disable the network card using, what I think to be the HW id,
    devcon shuts down all of my PCI devices.
    The hwids for my NW card:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11&REV_05\4&2E98101C&0&00F0
    Name: Compaq NC3121 Fast Ethernet NIC #2
    Hardware ID's:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11&REV_05
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&CC_020000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&CC_0200

    Cheers
    Sam

    --
    samtowers

    samtowers <samtowers.1c7siy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    > Could I have the exact syntax to disable and enable the network card.
    > If I disable the network card using, what I think to be the HW id,
    > devcon shuts down all of my PCI devices.

    You don't say what command lines you are actually using, or if you might be
    using cygwin rather than a command prompt bat file. You don't say why you
    are trying to do this. I haven't had much luck with using reset to "fix"
    my wired NIC IP address.

    The scenario for me:
    Win2000 SP4 caused problems for my Nortel Contivity VPN client
    < http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841382 >
    I applied the hotfix, which cured the VPN problem, but now I have a new
    problem. If my wired NIC doesn't see a connection at the time that I
    hibernate, it will not pick up a new one when I resume, connected to a LAN.
    That was not true prior to the hotfix.

    I have tried release/renew. One or the other of those just hangs.
    I have tried disable/enable from the GUI, that has no effect, still a
    0.0.0.0 IP address.

    I fetched devcon from
    < http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311272 >

    devcon find * > all_devices.txt
    revealed
    PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_1007&SUBSYS_615B10B7&REV_10\3&61AAA01&0&81 :
    3Com 56K V.90 Mini PCI Modem
    PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_6055&SUBSYS_645610B7&REV_10\3&61AAA01&0&80 :
    3Com 10/100 Mini P CI Ethernet Adapter

    When I first tried the reset bat file, I had
    devcon restart PCI\VEN_10B7*
    but that reset both my 3com NIC and my 3com modem. I changed it to
    devcon restart PCI\VEN_10B7&DEV_6055*

    That restarts just the NIC, but still no IP address. Maybe I need to
    disable it before I do the hibernate.

    --
    ---

    Hi All

    Did not explain my situation very well. Am on a W2K box with ZoneAlarm
    installed and a wireless internet connection via a network card. Am
    using devcon on the command line on the local machine.

    Prob 1:
    Upon startup the wireless connection connects but ZoneAlarm does not
    work until I log in. Therefore the PC is unprotected until I log in
    Purposed Solution:
    1) Disable the network card at shutdown and enable it during log on.
    2) Turn wireless modem on and off manually... but I'm a bit of a geek -
    this is not a solution.

    Have tried using
    devcon disable <any HW ID>
    but this disables all of my PCI devices. Wouldnt care cos box is off
    but upon startup this causes errors with apps using PCI and while I
    could make them wait until the PCI devices are enabled I would rather
    be selective and just kill the NW card.

    PS
    Will try
    devcon restart PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229*
    tonight when I get home but all of my PCI devices HWIDs start with this
    so dont think this will help.

    Cheers
    Sam

    --
    samtowers

    samtowers <samtowers.1c8zky@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > Did not explain my situation very well. Am on a W2K box with ZoneAlarm
    > installed and a wireless internet connection via a network card. Am
    > using devcon on the command line on the local machine.

    > Prob 1:
    > Upon startup the wireless connection connects but ZoneAlarm does not
    > work until I log in. Therefore the PC is unprotected until I log in

    I see that ZoneLabs Integrity Client is in my Startup Folder, indicating
    that it wouldn't start until I was logged in. That's an interesting point,
    and a gaping hole in the scheme of things, it would appear. I might do
    some testing tomorrow.

    > Have tried using
    > devcon disable <any HW ID>

    There's the shabby command line representation again.
    I gave better examples than you do.

    > but this disables all of my PCI devices. Wouldnt care cos box is off

    I don't know why that would be true.

    > devcon restart PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229*
    > tonight when I get home but all of my PCI devices HWIDs start with this
    > so dont think this will help.

    I don't see how all of your PCI devices can have the same Vendor ID.
    Ahh, that's the PCI bridge.
    You want the NIC.
    devcon find *
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&38 : Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to ISA bridge (EIO mode)
    .... a bunch of others, but no NIC.

    --
    ---

    Hi All again

    Firstly apologies, my previous entry was wrong. Not all of my PCI
    devices start with that vendor ID. I did that from memory - was at work
    not at my home pc

    Moving on...
    this worked

    I:\>devcon restart =net @PCI*
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11&REV_05\4&2E98101C&0&00F0:
    Restarted
    1 device(s) restarted.

    because there was only one PCI device in the class " net " . It didnt
    matter that the cmd shell was having issues with & - see below

    Thanks for all your help

    Cheers

    Sam

    PS
    Output of
    I:\>devcon restart
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11&REV_05\4&2E98101C&0&00F0: Compaq
    NC3121 Fast Ethernet NIC #2

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_B0D70E11&REV_05\4&2E98101C&0&00F0:
    Restarted
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_244E&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_C2\3&267A616A&0&F0: Restarted
    (CTRL+C here - 12 devices to go...blah blah blah then..)
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D0&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&F8: Requires
    reboot
    'DEV_1229' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    'SUBSYS_B0D70E11' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    '2E98101C' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    '0' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    program or batch file.
    '00F0:' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
    program or batch file.

    I:\>

    Would appear the command shell is having probs with the & symbol.
    Looked on the net for the cmd line issues re: the & symbol looking for
    an override but was a bit fruitless.

    PPS
    >>If my wired NIC doesn't see a connection at the time that I
    hibernate, it >>will not pick up a new one when I resume, connected to
    a LAN.

    Try releasing the IP address before hibernating, then renewing when
    awake again.

    I swap between IPX and IP networks regulary at work on a laptop. Used
    to pull the cable, plug in other NW cable and then renew it but
    ipconfig died regulary. Now I release it before disconnecting and it is
    excellent.
    Note: The ipconfig /renew reports an error. I just type ipconfig (no
    switches) and the correct IP is displayed on the screen. Doesnt hang at
    all and no reboots.

    Also noted that apps like Outlook dont like their network conns
    disappearing without warning. The above scenario fixed that too.

    --
    samtowers

    dold@xrexxenabl.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > I see that ZoneLabs Integrity Client is in my Startup Folder, indicating
    > that it wouldn't start until I was logged in.

    The program in the startup folder is the user interface. It doesn't start
    until you log in, so as to verify that you are authorized to make changes
    to the firewall. Explained for the Integrity client in
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/media/pdf/ZLInt45_archWP.pdf
    I assume that the free ZoneAlarm is the same, since it also has a vsmon.exe.

    The firewall itself is %windows%\system\Zone Labs\vsmon.exe
    which is running, and blocking connections, before login.
    I tested that this morning. With a fresh reboot, I connected perfmon.msc
    from a trusted computer to the laptop under test. I was able to see
    vsmon.exe running. After I logged in, I could see iclient.exe running. An
    untrusted computer was not able to connect before or after login.

    ---

Wireless D-Link Wireless Networking