missing file when upgrading from 98 to xp

When preparing for the installation, the program says file
is missing: C:\win_nt$.~BT\cdrom.sy_. I tell the program
to skip it (only way install will continue). When it
reaches the actual installation I get a message: file not
found C:\$win_nt$.~LS\I386\cdrom.in_ and the install
fails. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled
windows 98 before I tried to install xp. My computer is a
Dell Dimension L500r.

I also have a (newer) Dimension 8300. I also tried the
windows xp disc that came with that computer and got the
same messages.

Any suggestions what to do?
1 answer Last reply
More about missing file upgrading

    So you are saying that you've tried 2 different XP CDs on the L500r and both
    give you a file not found error. I generally see that problem occurring with
    hardware problems usually flaky RAM, Can you swap out the RAM and see if you
    can get past this error? You might also try a completely bare bones install
    by removing all unnecessary hardware and see if you can get XP installed.
    Then add hardware back one piece at a time and see if plug n play will pick
    it up. Do not activate until you have everything installed and working.

    BTW if you have an OEM CD from Dell that came preinstalled on the 8300 you
    are not allow to install it on a second system.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Grant" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When preparing for the installation, the program says file
    > is missing: C:\win_nt$.~BT\cdrom.sy_. I tell the program
    > to skip it (only way install will continue). When it
    > reaches the actual installation I get a message: file not
    > found C:\$win_nt$.~LS\I386\cdrom.in_ and the install
    > fails. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled
    > windows 98 before I tried to install xp. My computer is a
    > Dell Dimension L500r.
    >
    > I also have a (newer) Dimension 8300. I also tried the
    > windows xp disc that came with that computer and got the
    > same messages.
    >
    > Any suggestions what to do?

Dimension Windows XP