missing file when upgrading from 98 to xp

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

When preparing for the installation, the program says file
is missing: C:\win_nt$.~BT\cdrom.sy_. I tell the program
to skip it (only way install will continue). When it
reaches the actual installation I get a message: file not
found C:\$win_nt$.~LS\I386\cdrom.in_ and the install
fails. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled
windows 98 before I tried to install xp. My computer is a
Dell Dimension L500r.

I also have a (newer) Dimension 8300. I also tried the
windows xp disc that came with that computer and got the
same messages.

Any suggestions what to do?

So you are saying that you've tried 2 different XP CDs on the L500r and both
give you a file not found error. I generally see that problem occurring with
hardware problems usually flaky RAM, Can you swap out the RAM and see if you
can get past this error? You might also try a completely bare bones install
by removing all unnecessary hardware and see if you can get XP installed.
Then add hardware back one piece at a time and see if plug n play will pick
it up. Do not activate until you have everything installed and working.

BTW if you have an OEM CD from Dell that came preinstalled on the 8300 you
are not allow to install it on a second system.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp