Sign in with
Your question

my via-crap gives me more laughs..thank you intel!

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 7, 2002 6:40:17 AM

end of the line for via in my lifetime..

system hasnt been stable for a while now..

gigabyte 7vtxe (kt266a)
athlon xp 1700+
audigy
512mb crucial pc2100
alpha pal6035 80mm fan
enermax whisper 300watt
gf3
hauppauge wintv go
linksys nic

first i was continually getting the 'squeal of death' (famous audigy/via conflict that results in a great sound occasionally), the newest creative drivers (dated 3/18/2002 from compaq i believe), 4in1 4.40, xp, 29.42 nv drivers are all installed.
so i took out the audigy and lo and behold the death squeal went away.
ok sounds cool huh, well still was getting ide transfer problems.. such as when i try to play a cd when the tv tuner is on it locks up the system instantly (on EITHER sound, the onboard or audigy).
never could get dungeon siege working, i suspect theres some via/nvidia incompatibility (imagine that).

so im playing warcraft 3 tonight for probably 2 hrs, beat the final mission on the game and im watching the outtro and it locks up.. says it cant read my harddrive atapi device blah blah..
so i reboot as i usually do with my via based amd system and lo and behold no reboot.. finally does boot and i get to watch my ending.
sounds like it might be the hd but i think not.

so thats it, im done with via and probably amd unless they release another 'athlon' (success) again.

i have ide transfer problems alot also..

<b>what should i get instead of this off brand makeshift excuse of a motherboard for?</b>
im mainly looking at intel stuff, p4 1.6 512k and 845e so i can use my existing ram and o/c nicely until a dual ddr intel designed chipset is released. (not the sis655)

i dont care about speed anymore, well considering amd gets its butt handed to it by intel anymore with a fast ddr sis chipset and p4 or a rdram setup and p4 (soon to be the 655/p4 combo).
just need something that is going to work everyday all day.
ive fought this system for over a year and the extra money for intel would have been easily worth it instead of opting to save 100bucks.

if i do stay amd it will have to be with a nforce2, never touching a via again and would have to think about a sis.

edit- in case your wondering, the audigy will work on a intel based board, i have found it is indeed VIAs fault it doesnt work properly, intel implemented a feature in their post BX based boards called bus parking and so pci card makers took for granted a company worth a dime (not some junk taiwanese company) would follow their lead.
supposedly the kt400 will have this

ATI is like a mustang, real slow but with a rocket on it its fast, but you still wouldn't want one!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 08/07/02 02:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : crap laughs intel

August 7, 2002 11:56:29 AM

I have been using an Asus A7V266-E for almost half a year. It have been very stable for me and I have SB live in the system. I think it might be the Gigabyte problem.
August 7, 2002 2:01:19 PM

i am sorry for you
August 7, 2002 2:03:54 PM

I find it hard to believe you reanted for so many paragraphs before giving up. Maybe you can make a friend of Crashman, he also happens to hate Via.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
August 7, 2002 2:25:33 PM

that should be so...the via kt266a and p4x266a have little compatibility problems, but their previous chipsets were complete headaches.

seems that crashman dislikes VIA, just like me. now i wouldn`t say VIA is a bad select(though i`ve heard that KT400 has problems compared to its competing chipsets, maybe a kt400a would be good), but i just do not like the way VIA develops chipsets, making a crappy version, then improving it with a "a" version(like the kt133, then the kt133a).

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL
August 7, 2002 2:28:50 PM

AMD should not stand up for VIA. i just hope that sis and nvidia make better chipsts, so AMD would stand a better chance against intel.

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL
August 7, 2002 2:32:18 PM

Currently, the best performing chipsets for AMD are made by Via, none other than the Kt333 and Kt333ce chipset (just a revision). Just because they made poor products in their past, doesn't mean they can improve for the future. Don't forget, Via was also one of the first supporters for AMD and it's new Athlon when it came out. The Kx133 chipset was one of the first ones that arose, and helped AMD get to it's feet. That's awfully bold, considering AMD didn't have as much support from the more popular motherboard manufacturers at the time.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
August 7, 2002 3:30:39 PM

Get a nForce 415-D based mobo (e.g. ASUS A7N266-C). This mobo's stability is excellent like all nForce mobos.

Although audigy should work in this mobo, You can sell your audigy and use nForce APU. It's at least as good as audigy. (cpu usage is lower than audigy, too)
August 7, 2002 3:35:16 PM

KX133 helped AMD, but created this myth that Athlon chisets are less stable and more incompatible than P3 chipsets. This damaged Athlon's image at corporate level, that is still effective.
August 7, 2002 3:35:16 PM

Uhm, the Audigy isn't integrated, and requires LESS cpu cycles than the nforce audio. Also, the nforce boards run a good 2 to 7 percent slower than kt266a boards. That's if they are running dc ddr. You get even less performance with a single channel, or mis matched sticks.

I need my Hammer now to bash some newbies
August 7, 2002 3:39:36 PM

Can you possibly be any dumber? *thinks for a second, then realizes that would be impossible* That myth was fud, spawned by idiots like you. It didn't damage AMD's image. The AMD 750 was a reliable chipset for their fledging Athlon, and they later released the AMD 760 with the first good DDR support for the Athlon, and later the AMD 760MPX chipset. The dualie Athlon boards still use the AMD 760MPX chipset today, which provides good performance.

August 7, 2002 3:40:51 PM

5 to 7 percent extra performance is nothing compared to stability. And nForce is not always 5 to 7 percent slower than KT266A, it's thei maximum difference.

A nForce 415-D or 420-D can always run at single channel mode. Snigle channel mode only affects integrated graphics performance. (see Anandtech's nForce review, comparison between nForce 220 and 420)
August 7, 2002 3:50:29 PM

I said 2 to 7 percent, read more carefully next time. That's just the kt266a, the kt333 and kt333ce are even a bit faster. Have you even actually had any real experience using an Nforce board? I have, and this comes from hands on work. Additionally, all kt266a and kt333 boards i've used are stable, being from Soyo, FIC, Asus, and Abit. The only trouble from Via that I would consider may be the older kt266 boards, and past that.

August 7, 2002 3:52:04 PM

I use MSI K7N-420 Pro.
August 7, 2002 3:52:44 PM

Idiot?

I think all Athlon chipsets ever except KX133 is pretty stable. AMD 750, AMD 760 and nForce is ultra stable.

I said about corporate people. They always think taht Intel is better and AMD is inferior. The KX133 issue let them think that they are right. This is not true now, but they are afraid to try new things.

I am not a people that dislikes VIA. I use a nForce mobo, but if i did not needed the integrated video and sound of nForce I would not mind getting a KT333 board, if it is MSI KT3 Ultra or something stable, cheap and soild performer like it. I think it's the best Athlon board now.
August 7, 2002 3:57:30 PM

You do realize there are several versions of the Nforce...

August 7, 2002 4:00:34 PM

You are quickly losing hope

You mentioned before Via makes crap, then you say all the Athlon chipsets, minus the Kx133 are good. That would include Via, if you didn't realize that

August 7, 2002 4:23:03 PM

I realised when nForce was released.
August 7, 2002 4:23:23 PM

I have never mentioned that VIA makes crap. VIA is stable but nForce is more stable.

If a people thinks VIA is not stable, he should not get VIA although it is stable. If any system instabilities occur, he will blame VIA, even it is not for VIA chipset.

When you buy a component, before all you must beleive that it is not crap. It is the only reason for saying Nvidia better than VIA. Lots of people don't trust VIA (don't think i am a people of this kind), but there are very few people who thinks Nvidia is not trustworthy.
August 7, 2002 7:16:52 PM

I agree you.VIA is maybe the main reason that AMD has really improved itself.And i still believe it's the best chipset maker for amd. I used the kt133 and now using kt266 and really happy about them. i disagree about your opinions about kt266, it's really ok.it's been more than 1 year using that board and no serios problems for now.. the only little problem is 4in1, but that's not a big deal.
so i wanna say that via isn't a bad firm like many says.
if gigabyte sucks, that's gigabyte's problem not via's. everyone knows gigabyte boards have many problems, doesn't matter it's via,amd or intel.
so why don't go for the fastest if it's stable enough?
nforce is just a bullshit i think.

(Sorry about my english)

"Don't necessarily listen to tersagun,he's been advocating AMD systems,he thinks Intel sucks ass.."
August 8, 2002 5:45:31 AM

In case you didnt remember my last paragraph on my first post you will notice that the reason the Audigy does not work properly on via based boards is a via specific problem.
I'm using the latest drivers, latest bios.. and the fact that everyone gets the squeal of death with a audigy and via combination and we never hear the same from audigy/sis, audigy/nforce, audigy/intel combinations points out that via sucks.
and theres no excuses for the via pci bus, try putting some bandwidth intensive cards on it and use them and see what happens (or a tv tuner,audigy,ethernet like mine even brings it to its knees). or transfer alot over the ide channels.

via boards are great if you research every part your putting into it for compatibility, but i prefer my motherboards to take anything i throw at them.

ATI is like a mustang, real slow but with a rocket on it its fast, but you still wouldn't want one!
August 8, 2002 5:56:05 AM

ALL intel systemes are rock solid if you dont care about only for stability get a intel mobo but low overclocker

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.
August 8, 2002 6:31:37 AM

"all intel systems are rocksolid"

you mean even the P3 1133Mhz coppermine and the i820? :smile:

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 8, 2002 9:24:00 AM

That's a bullshit! AMD's are exatly as stable as the Intel.

"Don't necessarily listen to tersagun,he's been advocating AMD systems,he thinks Intel sucks ass.."
August 8, 2002 3:01:04 PM

MSI mobos are extremely stable like Intel board (both Athlon and P4). Plus MSI offers richer features and always inexpensive.
August 8, 2002 3:03:28 PM

All Intel fanboys think P3 Coppermine 1.13 GHz and i820 are rocksolid
August 8, 2002 5:54:10 PM

Can't you write 3 sentences in just ONE time?? Quetzacoatl
is doing the same thing all the time like you, are u soo interested in becoming some good titels??
Just use one post please!

August 8, 2002 6:15:52 PM

I am not making more than one post to have good titels.
You may have not seen my larger posts.

One of my post is replying juin and one lhgpoobaa.

I wrote both two posts same time and posted one by one.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spitfire_x86 on 08/08/02 02:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 8, 2002 6:16:14 PM

ahh my friend you saw the light too! Welcome enlightend one! heheh ...

ya i had issues with my POS AMD system.

this is what i got and so far it is running great!

Intel P4 2.0ghz. I should have gotten the 2.26ghz but at the time i wanted to overclock. And i did at 2.4ghz but nothing would run. Clocked it back down to 2ghz and it runs fine. My power supply doesn't like the cpu overclocked however so it's clocked to 2.0ghz

I got 512MB of Corsair XMS PC2700

the Abit IT7 MAX ... i love this board! has like 10 USB ports and 3 firewire and everything else .. it's great ...

and santa cruz turtle beach sound card.

whats nice is that you don't have to purchase a second cpu fan because the one shipped with the Intel chip works beautifully and it's quiet!

good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
August 8, 2002 6:23:22 PM

Can't u do that?:
to juin:
bla bla bla....

to lhg...:
bla bla bla...

August 8, 2002 6:27:44 PM

I had two AMD systems so far, both ran and running great like your Intel stuff. There are lot of people like me, who didn't dave a problem with AMD systems.

The fan ships with AMD cpu is good enough, if you don't overclock. Current AMD cpus are not good overclocker, too.

Anyway, if the stock cooler is not very good, it doesn't matter. Who wants to use a cpu for 10 years?
August 8, 2002 6:27:47 PM

50%??!! So 20% isn't important for you, huh??
You are a big-boy than..
I'll die to become just 10more fps in much games!

August 8, 2002 6:29:47 PM

how is it BS?

get a grip on yourself... VIA sucks ... what? do you make love to via at night or something dude? get real it's a bloody company with no real interest but to make money.

*rolls eyes* you folks need hobbies lol ... it's a stupid company who cares ...

via sucks because it sucks. There is even an article stating that AMD may choose Sis as the leader in chipsets due to VIA's crap.

Next time use lubricant when you're screwin VIA's company wall! lol!

<added>
JOKING!
</added>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 08/08/02 03:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 8, 2002 6:40:12 PM

"I! Yes sir Hitler sir!" *smacks combat shoes* "Private i want you to jump", "How high sir Hitler sir!", "hmmm 10 feet...", "Yes sir!" *tries to jump 10 feet*, "I can't jump 10 feet sir Hitler sir!", "Thats too bad ..." *flames the private to death* ...

why don't you go and tell someone in there face to do something! You'd get your butt whooped!

Until you become a fascist dictator i don't beleive you can order people around like that.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
August 8, 2002 6:57:04 PM

i don't care if you had 500 AMD's and all ran fine. I've had 3 and all ran like crap.

It's all about experience. You need to sit back and look from outside the little box (the comfort zone) you live in. (thats a metaphore)

i'm sure someone out there bought 3 Western Digital (WD) hard drives and all died and and hates WD and bought a maxtor and never had a problem with it and loves maxtor; while someone else bought 3 maxtors and all died, hates maxtor hard drives and went and bought a WD and worked fine and loves WD hard drives.

See it's all about perception and experience.

We as humans have this natural cancer called stereotyping. It's where we group things. instead of saying, "With my personal experience the boards i've obtained died so i went and purchased something different", we say, "All via chipsets suck!" We all do it even myself.

What in reality we do mean is this: "all the via boards i've experienced sucked" ='s "all via chipsets suck"
That is what we generaly mean. All of us. When we say women suck for example, we don't mean every woman sucks we are saying, every woman i've been with, sucks. Same with sports and and fish and whatever.

if you do mean to say that all women suck then you are a bigot. Plane and simple.

right? Make sense?

*shrugs* just my perception! ;) 
good day!

August 8, 2002 7:07:26 PM

What are you talking about, what's your problem?

August 8, 2002 7:14:32 PM

how old are you? you sound like you're 12 where you have no job, no responsibilty and no issues to handle.

I have more important things to worry about then gaining 10FPS in a stupid game that means absolutly nothing in your life.

I'm starting a small business and reliabilty far outweighs the extra 10FPS!

August 8, 2002 7:17:19 PM

Did i ordered someone something? Do you mean the "spitfire-thing"?

August 8, 2002 7:22:28 PM

ya, stuff like this drives me crazy. It's so rude.

"Can't you write 3 sentences in just ONE time?? Quetzacoatl
is doing the same thing all the time like you, are u soo interested in becoming some good titels??
Just use one post please!" <- mainly this sentence here.

what if he wanted to post 3 times in 3 sentences? he has every right to post 10 times with 1 sentence each. just like you have the right to complain about it. But it is rude to demand someone to do something just because you didn't like it. You can ask - maybe even nicely - and perhaps he'll stop, but demanding is just rude in my opinion.

August 8, 2002 8:26:55 PM

Hey skater... lay off. IIRc you were the one that said what Labdog was doing was fine, even when most of thought posting 5 different threads was annoying.

What do you think these forums are for? I mean, he just pointed something out politely, no like you making some wise-ass remark about it.

Even if you did have problems with VIA stuff, and will never buy their stuff again, don't smear BS all over everyone else. Intel/AMD/VIA/SiS/nVidia/ATi are all in the business for the money. As it seems like VIA has way more happy customers than non happy, they'll still continue in the business. Although personal experience may sway your opinion, you don't have to flame others for recommending it.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 8, 2002 10:03:59 PM

Since you went over to using intel stuff you are in danger of becoming a fanboy in the league of AMDMeltdown, plus you go on and on and on and on! If your thinking he is rude, go look at your self. There is a thin line between believing in your oppinions and being a blatant fanboy!

While were on the subject, sure I agree with you about VIA, I personally think AMD should do what intel do and make their own chipsets be the front runners. Although I have never had any problems with the VIA 686B southbridge, I have had problems with VIA northbridges and currently swear by the AMD 761 (It's rock solid). Surely AMD know how to make the best chipsets to make the most of their processors. The impression that I get is that the AMD 760 chipset, although relatively out of date, has the reputation of intel chipsets for stability. If that is the case then I will second that!

I'm not surprised that FatBurger left as the majority of posts in this CPU forum seem to be flames.

I feel that what THG forums should do is like what the vanshardware forums do and have a seperate forum for Intel CPUs and have one for AMD. It obvousely appears that the people who profer intel and those that profer AMD just can't get along, although some individuals don't help matters and just seem to like spreading FUD and discontent around this forum, shame on them!!!!!

Steven Graham

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!
August 8, 2002 11:20:09 PM

Quote:

Since you went over to using intel stuff you are in danger of becoming a fanboy in the league of AMDMeltdown, plus you go on and on and on and on! If your thinking he is rude, go look at your self. There is a thin line between believing in your oppinions and being a blatant fanboy!

Yeah, what's with that? Why is it when people move to an Intel system they suddenly turn into fanboys and trolls. What spell does Intel cast on its users? Or is it some kind of mind control? Whatever it is, I seem to be impervious to it. :tongue: Sure I agree that a bunch of VIA's chipset suck but that doesn't mean all of them suck and that AMD systems suck. Hell, my next system will probably have a Hammer.

Quote:

I'm not surprised that FatBurger left as the majority of posts in this CPU forum seem to be flames.

I was about to leave but I missed you guys so much! :tongue:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
August 8, 2002 11:22:10 PM

heh.
bla bla bla to u too with a cherry on top :smile:

<b>Before visiting THG i was a clueless noob. Now im still clueless, but look at my nice title!<b>
August 8, 2002 11:33:20 PM

Hey, lets try to keep this civilised. We shoud let threads like this die. No good will come of it. I'm on a mission to clean this forum up. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me. So lets all try to keep on topics. Ask politely for people to edit there post when they get off of topic. I believe we can whip this place into shape in no time if we all stick together.

<b>Agent</b> <b><font color=green>81</b></font color=green> :cool:
August 9, 2002 4:41:17 AM

nobody said AMD processors are less stable than intels. the amd platforms are unstable compared to intel.

if amd made more of their own chipsets it would be different.
an amd (processor)/amd (motherboard) is as good as intel/intel. but i can hardly find a board with anywhere near current features without one part of it being a via part.
sis is better than via but if your going to get away from cheap taiwanese crap, then do it and go intel/intel or amd/amd.

ATI is like a mustang, real slow but with a rocket on it its fast, but you still wouldn't want one!
August 9, 2002 5:09:41 AM

thank you. i will report back when i get it all in and together. it is nice to join the elite here at toms.

i am amazed at some of these people actually defending via, i have never, and i mean never seen that, if someone usually does defend via its not for very long (i think its merely due to the amount of sh*t via has been selling for the last couple years and pride of ownership).. everyone knows their stuff runs decent (when they steal from SIS) but it is and never was on par with intel.
maybe we should edu-cate some of these people around here?

or let them learn themselves?

• 1 / 2
      • Newest
!