How to guide?

Violence

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I didn't see a "How To" one.

I'm planning on building a brand new P4 system in the next month and this will be my first time doing this. I have done little things like upgrade video cards, and add a CD burner, but never a whole system from scratch.

Tom's "How To Build a PC" guide seems a little out of date. Just wondering if using this guide and some basic common sense would be enough for someone like me to undertake this without messing it up.

Is there another "How To" guide that someone might recommend? Are the current motherboards easy enough for someone who can read directions to figure out? I'm confident in my ability to physically hook up all the right things in the right places, but not so much with having to adjust any settings in the BIOS or stuff like that.

I really want to do this (both for the cost savings and the experience of doing it), but I also don't want a $1,500 "Humpty Dumpty" strewn across my table that I can't put back together.

Anyone care to dole out some advice to the young grasshopper?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Simple, you put the board in the case, put the drives in the holders, put the cards in the slots, even a trained monkey could do it.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
There's a great thread over at [H]ardForums and they have a list of "How to build a PC" articles.

<A HREF="http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=449189" target="_new">Here</A>

Good luck!

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>