Sign in with
Your question

Screw Soyo, I fixed it myself!

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2002 9:50:55 AM

About 5 months ago, two capacitors on my 2 month old Soyo board EXPLODED. I spent the next four months trying to get an RMA from Soyo. Well, after about $15 in phone calls and hours of hassle, they finally sent me one. Along with the news that my free repair under warranty would cost $15!!!

Screw them, I fixed it myself. I was going to replace the capacitors with exact matches of higher quality, but then found these capacitors that were around twice the size with the same values. I looked them up to find out why they were so big and found out that they are long service life capacitors for industrial electronics. So now the two main filters for the CPU are twice the size and four times as reliable as the originals. Saved myself $15 and ended up with better parts.

Anyone who is interested in buying this board, it's a SY-BA6+III, tested stable at 156MHz FSB, and I can throw in a Tualatin adapter for the right price.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

More about : screw soyo fixed

August 7, 2002 9:57:16 AM

Crash, are they blocking the CPU slot at all? Did you have to mount them high up or something?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2002 10:09:44 AM

Nope, all the transitors on this board are on the BACK side of the slot The two in question are located where the game port would have been if it has onboard sound (which it doesn't, otherwise they couldn't have put the main power caps there). The original caps were like 8x14mm, the new ones are 10x20mm.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>
Related resources
August 8, 2002 12:25:36 AM

Was it hard to solder the cap? You have to get it through all the layers of the pcb, right?

<i><font color=blue>The only difference between 200 fps and 300 fps is the blink of the eyes.</font color=blue></i>
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2002 1:26:47 AM

No, because the cap pokes all the way through. Any internal connection does as well.

!