static internal IP address on wireless XP network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 5:32:06 AM

How do I configure the wireless connection in Windows XP to use an assigned
internal IP address rather than DHCP from the Linksys router?

I know I can disable the internal DHCP on the router, but how do I configure
the computer to use a specific address on wireless network?

In part, I want to do port forwarding and need to have the laptop on same
internal IP all the time.

Thanks
July 31, 2004 5:32:07 AM

Cindy wrote:

> How do I configure the wireless connection in Windows XP to use an assigned
> internal IP address rather than DHCP from the Linksys router?
>
> I know I can disable the internal DHCP on the router, but how do I configure
> the computer to use a specific address on wireless network?
>
> In part, I want to do port forwarding and need to have the laptop on same
> internal IP all the time.
>
> Thanks

Right click on the wireless connectoid, choose properties. Click on the
TCP/IP listing, click the properties button. Click on "Use the following
IP address:" and enter the IP. You'll probably want to use something
like 192.168.0.x, subnet of 255.255.255.0 and set up the gateway and DNS
server.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 6:40:12 AM

"Cindy" <CA@nospam.com> wrote in

> How do I configure the wireless connection in Windows XP to use an
> assigned internal IP address rather than DHCP from the Linksys router?
>
> I know I can disable the internal DHCP on the router, but how do I
> configure the computer to use a specific address on wireless network?
>
> In part, I want to do port forwarding and need to have the laptop on
> same internal IP all the time.
>
> Thanks

You can go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and search on *Port
Forwarding*. That will show you how to setup a computer's NIC to use one
of the Linksys router's static IP(s). As far as disabling DHCP on the
router, you'll find it at Linksys SKB most likely or search Google.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 10:53:00 PM

"Cindy" <CA@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for reply...what I saw on Linisys Knowledge Base appeared to refer
> assigning an IP for port forwarding with a wired connection, but did not
see
> anything about doing the same for wireless. -The wireless setup in XP
does
> not appear to offer the chance to select IP addresses etc. -Unless I am
> missing the tab that takes you to this spot.
> Thanks

It has nothing to do with what type of card wired or wireless. TCP/IP is
TCP/IP. If you go to Control Panel/Network and IC/Network
Connection/right-click/Properties/TCP/IP from the menu/Properties. *Use the
Following IP addresses* *Use the following DNS IP(s)*

You follow instructions to make the NIC use a *static IP* on the router. The
proper use of a machine that is using the router is to use static IP and not
a DHCP IP when doing Port Forwarding, which BTW is the same for wired or
wireless NIC(s).

The part about setting the *NIC* to use a static IP on the router is what
you want and you can ignore the overall topic of Port Forwarding.

You will get the ISP's DNS IP(s) from the router's DHCP Status screen I
think. I am not in front of the router so you'll have to find the screen.

Duane :)
!