GA-8IHXP promise RAID problem

dyndragon

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Just got my hands on the ga-8ihxp, everything seems to be great on my existing win2k system. all the drivers installed etc etc

but as soon as i load up the promise raid driver (latest, from website), on the next reboot win2k freezes when the boot progress bar on the "Loading..." screen is about at half. I disable the promise chip in the bios, boots ok. Then, i re-enable the promise chip in ATA133 mode (i.e. not RAID), and it freezes at the same spot again.

So i think, ok maybe i need to reload windows. Boot off the cd, F6 to load 3rd party driver, etc etc ok. When everything is loaded and it says "Starting Windows 2000" in the lower left, it freezes, with the HD light solid just like it did before.

I leave the promise RAID chip enabled, but unplug my harddrives connected to IDE3(raid), and boot the system. it boots ok, but in device manager, in the promise RAID device properties it says that "this device can not start (code 10)". i try several other harddrives, to no avail.

P4-2.26
512mb pc1066 ram
gainward geforce 4 4600
2x60gb seagate baracuda (connected to raid)
40gb western digital (operating system drive)

Anybody have any suggestions, beside changing the P/S to a bigger one? Already tried that...im out of ideas. Already updated the bios to F4 too.
maybe the board is just bad...

--D

svol

Champion
This could be an IRQ sharing problem, do you have any other PCI-devices/cards installed?
Also check what is set in the 'Plug & Play OS installed' option and try the other setting.
And it can help to disable the LPT/COM ports or the onboard LAN or sound if you don't use them.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .