Removable Storage Management

I am not very computer savvy. I need help figuring out how to save my work to a CD. It seems that Windows XP doesn't llike saving to a disc. Can anyone give me a simple way to save my work so I can restore it later in case my hard drive crashes again?
--
BB

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

Alternative:

BackUp MyPC is a powerful yet easy to use data protection
and disaster recovery solution for a single computer or
peer-to-peer network. Conveniently backup important files
or your entire computer while you're not even around using
our advanced scheduling system.
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"BB2549" <BB2549@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I am not very computer savvy. I need help figuring out how to save my work to a CD. It seems that Windows XP
doesn't llike saving to a disc. Can anyone give me a simple way to save my work so I can restore it later in
case my hard drive crashes again?
| --
| BB

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"BB2549" <BB2549@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not very computer savvy. I need help figuring out how to save my work
>to a CD. It seems that Windows XP doesn't llike saving to a disc. Can
>anyone give me a simple way to save my work so I can restore it later in
>case my hard drive crashes again?
> --
> BB

Are you simply wanting to save certain files to CD and add them as you
create them (if not, please clarify further your intentions)? If so, open
Help & Support and type "CD Recording" no quotes) to get help on this.

This link tells about XPs builtin burning of data to CDR(W)s.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#inbuilt

Read the whole page as there may be more info on this.

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:48:02 -0700, BB2549 <BB2549@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
>I am not very computer savvy. I need help figuring out how to save my work to a CD. It seems that Windows XP doesn't llike saving to a disc. Can anyone give me a simple way to save my work so I can restore it later in case my hard drive crashes again?
-----------------

If you want to save everything you have installed, in this day of cheap hard
drives, you should consider buying a USB external HD. I did it. I only use
it to back up. Otherwise the toggle switch is off on the under-monitor panel
& XP doesn't know it is there. As soon as I switch it on, XP says "found new
device" and assigns it a drive letter. Then if I turn it off, the assigned
drive letter goes away. And a USB HD makes it easy to transfer stuff tto
someone else's computer too.

To make a complete backup, including operating system - a complete restore
possible, you also need "imaging" software. I have Norton Ghost, but there
are others.

External HDs are coming down in price all of the time. I paid $150 for mine
(160 gigs). There are cheaper. There are 80 giggers for maybe $80. (wait
for a sale or rebate offered).

....D.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:23:50 -0700, ...D. <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote:

>To make a complete backup, including operating system - a complete restore
>possible, you also need "imaging" software. I have Norton Ghost, but there
>are others.
>
>External HDs are coming down in price all of the time. I paid $150 for mine
>(160 gigs). There are cheaper. There are 80 giggers for maybe $80. (wait
>for a sale or rebate offered).

Oh yea - if you really cannot afford it, Just buying something like the Norton
Ghost sofitware does allow you to use your CD drive or DVDs for back-up. It's
easy to do with it.

....D.