safe mode?

is there a safe mode?
and if so how do i get there
someone once told me i hit a key as it's booting, but i forgot what key : (
plz help me
thank you, very much
3 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    The key is F8. Timing is critical for clicking the key to boot in safemode.
    You may have the best luck by repeatedly pressing the key when you first
    start the PC. The threshold is somewhere in the early part of BIOS loading.

    HTH, JAX

    "forgetful friend" <forgetful friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4F1071E6-9460-44BA-9D93-74BB38B3626E@microsoft.com...
    (
    > plz help me
    > thank you, very much

    "forgetful friend" <forgetful friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4F1071E6-9460-44BA-9D93-74BB38B3626E@microsoft.com...
    > is there a safe mode?
    > and if so how do i get there
    > someone once told me i hit a key as it's booting, but i forgot what key :
    (
    > plz help me
    > thank you, very much

    Keep pressing F8 at start of boot-up.

    Malv

    | "forgetful friend" <forgetful friend@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote in message news:4F1071E6-9460-44BA-9D93-74BB38B3626E@microsoft.com
    | is there a safe mode? and if so how do i get there
    | someone once told me i hit a key as it's booting, but i forgot what key : (
    | plz help me thank you, very much

    As the others have written the key is F8. For more information
    about how to "start the computer in safe mode" search the Windows
    XP Help and Support Center for the words in double-quotes and
    read the Suggested Topic by that title.

    Alternatively, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;315222

    An additional note. If your boot.ini file has only one [Operating Systems]
    section boot option, then no Boot menu is displayed when you start the
    computer. Furthermore, your operating system loads automatically
    without pausing, and there is not an indication as to when you should
    press F8 to boot into Safe Mode.

    To force a Boot menu to appear you can edit the Boot.ini file and create
    a second entry in the [Operating Systems] section. And create a Timeout
    value greater then zero.

    After that, when you boot a menu will appear that lists Operating System
    startup choices, and that has the text: "For troubleshooting and advanced
    startup options for Windows, press F8." And when you see this menu it
    is the correct time to press F8 to boot into Safe Mode.

    For more information about the problem see the following
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB242443 - Boot Menu Is Not Displayed and Timeout Value
    Is Not Used
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;242443

    And for detailed information about how to edit the boot.ini file see
    the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB289022 - HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;289022

    An alternative to the above is to install the Recovery Console as
    a hard disk startup option. The installation will automatically create
    another entry in the [Operating Systems] section of your boot.ini
    (for the Recovery Console). Then when you (re)start your computer
    "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" will appear as a menu item
    (along with your Operating System). And the aforementioned "For
    troubleshooting and advanced startup.. Press F8" text will appear, too.

    For more information about how to "install the Recovery Console
    as a startup option" search the Windows XP Professional Help and
    Support Center for the words in double-quotes and read the topic
    by that title.

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP