Dual Monitor support with WoW?

Astralpulse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hello, in advance, I'm sorry if there is info on this somewhere else on the forum, I searched around in most of the relevant forum locations for information, but was not able to find any.

Onto the post:

I currently have two monitors on (one graphics card, 6800 Geforce Ultra), and I do not seem to be able to play World of Warcraft, or any game for that matter, and use my secondary monitor, without having Windowed mode enabled, or being alt-tabbed in Fullscreen mode.

There has to be a way to get this to work better, and the only information I've received thus far is to get another video card.

Any amount of help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I don't understand the problem. From what I read, you want to use the second monitor at the same time you are playing a game on the first monitor?

What do you mean by "use?" Do you want to be able to use the mouse and keyboard on it while playing a game at the same time? If that's the case, it won't work. DirectInput (a part of DirectX) takes exclusive control of both as soon as you begin a fullscreen game.

Do you simply want to display a web page, widget, etc. on your other monitor while playing a game? That'll work fine.

Those are the only two possibilities I can see from what you're saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Astralpulse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I don't understand the problem. From what I read, you want to use the second monitor at the same time you are playing a game on the first monitor?

What do you mean by "use?" Do you want to be able to use the mouse and keyboard on it while playing a game at the same time? If that's the case, it won't work. DirectInput (a part of DirectX) takes exclusive control of both as soon as you begin a fullscreen game.

Do you simply want to display a web page, widget, etc. on your other monitor while playing a game? That'll work fine.

Those are the only two possibilities I can see from what you're saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am playing the game on the primary monitor, and unable to move my cursor over to the secondary monitor to do anything, without alt-tabbing. The monitor works fine, all of the items that were on it stay as they were, and continue to update (AIM windows, etc), but I am not able to interact with it at all until without going windowed mode, or alt-tabbing.

From reading your post though, it sounds like this will not be possible. Thanks for reading, sorry I was clumsy with my description!

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
well the one thing that you can do is change the display option from dual monitor to stretch, then you can have one big screen! though chances are it will look like crap with the monitor edge in the way.

Astralpulse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
World of Warcraft ended up taking over both monitors when I did that, lol. >.<

Screen size was the same as the resolution on my monitors ingame, one monitor had the game, other monitor was completely black, like it was shut off or something. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm willing to try anything out!

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah I'd say the same thing.
You might get issues with fullscreen+windowed.
I always get 60 FPS but when I had both on it would drop to 12.
I think it's an error in drivers mostly but a warning.
I'd say just windows mode maximize though.