windows98 as 2nd os

I just upgraded, don't even know if a p4 can run win98 original. What I have
read is that I can boot to either XP or win98 if I install win98 after a format
and fdisk 2 partitions..

Haven't found anything on having it boot to a HD that already has it installed.
I have C: for XP 165 gig, D: CD writer, E: win98 10 gigs F: data drive 8 gigs.
These are all individual drives, not partitions. All the other drives could fit
on the XP drive, but that sort of puts all the eggs in one basket.

I'll be reading what I found on multi booting, but nothing I scanned said
anything about multi drives.

Is there a way to tell XP or the machine to boot from drive E: ?

Hi,

See: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

However, it the boot partition is using the NTFS file system, then you will
need a boot manager as Win98 cannot boot from it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded, don't even know if a p4 can run win98 original. What I
have
> read is that I can boot to either XP or win98 if I install win98 after a
format
> and fdisk 2 partitions..
>
> Haven't found anything on having it boot to a HD that already has it
installed.
> I have C: for XP 165 gig, D: CD writer, E: win98 10 gigs F: data drive 8
gigs.
> These are all individual drives, not partitions. All the other drives
could fit
> on the XP drive, but that sort of puts all the eggs in one basket.
>
> I'll be reading what I found on multi booting, but nothing I scanned said
> anything about multi drives.
>
> Is there a way to tell XP or the machine to boot from drive E: ?
>

> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

I used to do this with Windows 95 and Windows NT many many moons ago. From memory, you needed to install Windows 95 on the first partition before installing Windows NT, then when you install Windows NT it will recognise another version of Windows is installed and automatically provide a boot up option for it later on. I always put Windows NT on a 2nd partition as well, so there was no corruption having both versions of Windows using same named system folders