I think 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.
I can't use the history button on ie6 since switching to XP from win98. Just
shows me a bunch of folders in them labeled MSHist012004063020040701. and when
you expand it all you see is a index.dat file.

The history folder itself also shows an index.dat file.

Is there a way to get this thing back so I can see the links I visited recently
?

The Internet Explorer Index.dat File in the History Folder May Become Very Large
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322916&Product=ie600

http://filext.com/faq/article.php?id=027&action=print

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> I think 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.
> I can't use the history button on ie6 since switching to XP from win98. Just
> shows me a bunch of folders in them labeled MSHist012004063020040701. and when
> you expand it all you see is a index.dat file.
>
> The history folder itself also shows an index.dat file.
>
> Is there a way to get this thing back so I can see the links I visited recently
> ?
>
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:46:11 -0400, "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com>
wrote:

Yeah and in the meantime it's totally useless in it's current format.

that's pretty much more than I can handle at one sitting. The links to fix it.
I'm guessing if I can create a 'user' account for vs net admin and use that
everything should fall into place. In the mean time there's no simple fix till
I learn how this XP works ?

>The Internet Explorer Index.dat File in the History Folder May Become Very Large
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322916&Product=ie600
>
>http://filext.com/faq/article.php?id=027&action=print

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:46:11 -0400, "Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com>
wrote:

Seems it fixed itself. I just had a crash reboot and when I fired up IE it said
it wasn't my default browser. and asked me if I wanted to make it that way.
answered yes and voila history is now there.