845G without integrated graphics?

Forgetful_Prof

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Does anyone know when Intel will release the 845G chipset without integrated graphics, and when mobo's utilizing it will appear? In the meantime, are the integrated graphics on the 845G good enough for business use (e.g., extensive PowerPoint preparation), and perhaps some entertainment use of DVDs (movies, not games)? In the same vein, how does the onboard graphics compare to the ATI Rage 128 Pro (I've got an old Rage board lying around I could use if it's better than the on-board)?

Thanks in advance.

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
The Intel 845G will always have integrated graphics. Intel does have the 845E which is almost identical to the 845G, just without the graphics. There may be small differences but i don't know about them.As for how good the graphics are, it should be more than enough for office stuff. Don't know about DVD's, my guess is that it would be fine. Don't know much about the Rage 128 boards, is it 16MB or 32MB? The integrated intel chipset isn't much. More than likely an add-on card would be a better choice.

BigBiggist

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
Here are some specs for the 845G graphics chip if it helps out any. You could compare them to the Rage 128 Pro if you have any knowledge about its specs.

Core clock: 200MHz
Number of Pixel Pipes: 1
Number of TMUs: 2
Number of Textures per Rendering Pass: 4
Theoretical Pixel Fill Rate: 200Mpixels/sec
Quoted Pixel Fill Rate: ~190Mpixels/sec
Theoretical Texture Fill Rate: 400Mtexels/sec
Z-Cull Cache Size: 16KB
Texture Cache Size: 4KB

It gets around 1400 3dMarks. My ancient Voodoo 3 2000 PCI w/ 16 MB memory gets 1700. So if your card has 16 MB memory, it should perform about the same as the 845G, if it has more, like maybe it may have 32 MB memory, hopefully it will perform more adequately. I am just kinda guessing at this, i don't know much about the Rage 128 Pro. Hopefully someone else does.