broadband connection

Hi: I've just migrated to windows xp home, and I use dsl, I have everything setup and it works ok but I was woundering if there was a way to have xp connect automaticly at bootup rather then me having to click on the conection icon on my desktop after the bootup process is finished?

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:39:03 -0700, moondog wrote:

> Hi: I've just migrated to windows xp home, and I use dsl, I have
> everything setup and it works ok but I was woundering if there was a way
> to have xp connect automaticly at bootup rather then me having to click
> on the conection icon on my desktop after the bootup process is
> finished?

Set IE to connect automatically. Also use Internet Options> Connections to
select the ISP connection as the default. Designate a home page for the
program. Then put a shortcut for IE into your startup folder. IE will load
at startup and establish a connection. (May need to adjust this depending
on software used for browsing but same general concept setup within the
programs being used should work too.)

You may still end up having to click Connect depending on the connection
type used by the ISP but at least that screen will come automatically at
startup.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

how do I set ie to connect automaticly?

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:39:03 -0700, moondog wrote:
>
> > Hi: I've just migrated to windows xp home, and I use dsl, I have
> > everything setup and it works ok but I was woundering if there was a way
> > to have xp connect automaticly at bootup rather then me having to click
> > on the conection icon on my desktop after the bootup process is
> > finished?
>
> Set IE to connect automatically. Also use Internet Options> Connections to
> select the ISP connection as the default. Designate a home page for the
> program. Then put a shortcut for IE into your startup folder. IE will load
> at startup and establish a connection. (May need to adjust this depending
> on software used for browsing but same general concept setup within the
> programs being used should work too.)
>
> You may still end up having to click Connect depending on the connection
> type used by the ISP but at least that screen will come automatically at
> startup.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Check to see if there are any options on that connection icon or check with
your ISP support people.

"moondog" <moondog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi: I've just migrated to windows xp home, and I use dsl, I have
everything setup and it works ok but I was woundering if there was a way to
have xp connect automaticly at bootup rather then me having to click on the
conection icon on my desktop after the bootup process is finished?

I've checked everything I know of and there is no option to do this, and as far as my isp is concerned they say it's a windows thang.
when I was using win me my connection software had a little box I just checked to connect automaticly, but windows xp doesent have this

moondog wrote:
> how do I set ie to connect automatically?
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:39:03 -0700, moondog wrote:
>>
>>> Hi: I've just migrated to windows XP home, and I use dsl, I have
>>> everything setup and it works ok but I was wondering if there was
>>> a way to have XP connect automatically at bootup rather then me
>>> having to click on the connection icon on my desktop after the
>>> bootup process is finished?
>>
>> Set IE to connect automatically. Also use Internet Options>
>> Connections to select the ISP connection as the default. Designate a
>> home page for the program. Then put a shortcut for IE into your
>> startup folder. IE will load at startup and establish a connection.
>> (May need to adjust this depending on software used for browsing but
>> same general concept setup within the programs being used should
>> work too.)
>>
>> You may still end up having to click Connect depending on the
>> connection type used by the ISP but at least that screen will come
>> automatically at startup.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Try: Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/click the Connections
Tab/checkmark the " Dial when a Network Connection is not present".
--
Gene K

There is a way, and it will involve purchasing and setting up a router. The
router takes over the task of keeping you connected as well as acting as a
hardware firewall.