Xp features

im considoring upgrading my pc to xp from windows me but before i do could someone tell me what office features xp comes with. ideally i want word, excel and powerpoint. thanks, caroline

Windows XP is an "Operating System" and does not include
any Microsoft Office programs. Therefore, you must purchase
Microsoft Office and install it after upgrading to Windows XP.

What's in the Office Editions?
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or
Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;316639

Before upgrading any existing Windows installation, it would be prudent to
run the Upgrade Advisor for Windows XP. This tool will report what hardware
or software may be incompatible with Windows XP. If you follow the Upgrade
Advisor's recommendations, you should not have any problem upgrading to
Windows XP.

If you fail to utilize the Upgrade Advisor, you may run into incompatibility issues.
Just inserting the Windows XP Upgrade CD in the CD Drive and selecting
"upgrade" is not going to give you the desired result. You must "prepare and
plan" your computer before beginning the upgrade process.

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

It is imperative that you have the latest BIOS update installed. Visit the support
website of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard for instructions
on updating your computer's BIOS.

Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Also, physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware devices,
especially USB devices (not including your mouse, keyboard or
monitor). Uninstall any antivirus program, too!

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

Option if unable to upgrade:

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

scottishrugbyfan wrote:
> im considoring upgrading my pc to xp from windows me but before i do
> could someone tell me what office features xp comes with. ideally i
> want word, excel and powerpoint. thanks, caroline

Caroline,
Windows XP [Home or Prof] is an Operating System (OS). Microsoft Word,
Excel, and Powerpoint are all a part of an Office Suite such as Microsoft
Office XP, they are not included with any Microsoft OS, including ME. If you
have them now, you or someone else purchased and installed them as part of
an Office packege or separately.
--
Gene K

Greetings,

Microsoft Windows XP (Home or Professional) doesn't come with Office
preinstalled in the system. You can check out Microsoft Windows XP's
features by visitng the following website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.mspx

*note*
- If you are planning to upgrade to XP try checking if your hardware and
software are compaitible with Windows XP.
- Also do check if your computer meets the system requirements.

Thanks and good luck!

Jose Francisco
Owner of BetaConnect - Providing you a new way in technology
Still got problems? Email me!
chicofar at onvol dot com

"scottishrugbyfan" <scottishrugbyfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08BF8B04-1236-4E42-9965-FFAC98FFE188@microsoft.com...
> im considoring upgrading my pc to xp from windows me but before i do could
someone tell me what office features xp comes with. ideally i want word,
excel and powerpoint. thanks, caroline

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:23:02 -0700, "scottishrugbyfan"
<scottishrugbyfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>im considoring upgrading my pc to xp from windows me but before i do could someone tell me what office features xp comes with. ideally i want word, excel and powerpoint. thanks, caroline

I wouldn't bother if you have an old system that runs well with ME.

For XP you can get by with 256 MBs RAM, but really you should have 512MBs (up
to 1 gig). If for example your computer is measured in MHz & not GHz, then
investigate further.

What''s it going to cost you to buy an XP upgrade? You know for about $350
when there is a sale on, you can get a 2.5 to 2.7 GHz (2500 MHz) computer - 17
in monitor & jet printer included with Windows XP & 256 MBs RAM & 40 gig HD
for about $350 (after rebates). It's a Celeron, but don't let that phase you.
There seems to be a sale every other week. Usually it's an eMachines.
(eMachines is a good company - years ago maybe questionable, but now very good
for lower costing computers that work well). Sometimes it's another major
brand. (BTW eMachines & Gateway have merged).

....D.

papa

In a word - NONE. Microsoft has never done this with any operating system.
However, some computer sellers include office software, but it is definitely
not part of the operating system. So you will have to buy the office
software.

As to installing Windows XP on your computer, make sure your hardware can
handle it. Some older computers will perform poorly under XP. Microsoft has
a compatibility program that can test your computer.

"scottishrugbyfan" <scottishrugbyfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:08BF8B04-1236-4E42-9965-FFAC98FFE188@microsoft.com...
> im considoring upgrading my pc to xp from windows me but before i do could
someone tell me what office features xp comes with. ideally i want word,
excel and powerpoint. thanks, caroline

TRENDING THREADS