Paging file, self-resetting on c:

Hi... it is a long time I have a serious problem involving my paging file.
I have a ThinkPad A31 and was delivered by default with a small partition C
Unfortunatly my sysman decided to keep it and very soon I discovered an
annoying bug of XP. If this partition runs out of space it crashes.

Well, after a while I relized that the problem was tha paging file, so I
just realocated space for swapping on d:, same partition on which XP is
installed.

The problem didn't stop, just became less frequent. In fact, sometimes the
paging file is reseted on c:. I lived with this problem cheating XP for a
long time. I just set the paging file on C: with 20MB and on D with aGB.

Now, for some other not clear reason the trick doesn't work anymore.
Sometimes suddenly the paging file is realocated on C with 1GB... enough to
run out of space.

Obiously the solution will be removing the partition BUT I would like to
understand WHY this is happening.
I found sometimes this happen after Microsoft updates itself.

Do you have any suggestion to stop, to understand or at least to find a way
to understand this problem?

Thanks
Ale

Hi "Oops",
without further info from yourself (HDD size, amount of RAM ) I can only repeat what was suggested to me a long while back and I have no probs (touch wood)....

If you know how much RAM your Computer has, go to 'Virtual Memory' through >Control Panel > System > choose the 'Advanced' tab and under 'Performance > 'Settings' > 'Advanced' look for 'Virtual Memory' > 'Change'.
Highlight D: Multiply your total RAM by 1.5 (eg: 256 = 384) type answer into 'Initial Size' box, then multiply your total RAM by 3 (eg: 256 = 768) type this answer into 'Maximum Size'.
Highlight C: and choose 'No Paging File', press 'Set', press 'OK' three times and now you have all your paging file to D: leaving more room on C:
You should also use 'Disk Cleanup' from 'System Tools' and think about either/or
turning off 'System Restore', adjusting the amount of space it reserves for 'Restore Points' in 'Restore Settings' or turn off 'System Restore' then turn back on to clear all 'Restore Points' and start afresh. You should proably reboot after these changes to effect changes.
I must state that this is something I have done and had no ill effects. But if you choose to wait for advice from someone more experienced, that's entirely your choice. I'm curious to see what anybody else can come up with to be honest.
Whatever, good luck to you,
J.J.

"Opps" wrote:

> Hi... it is a long time I have a serious problem involving my paging file.
> I have a ThinkPad A31 and was delivered by default with a small partition C
> Unfortunatly my sysman decided to keep it and very soon I discovered an
> annoying bug of XP. If this partition runs out of space it crashes.
>
> Well, after a while I relized that the problem was tha paging file, so I
> just realocated space for swapping on d:, same partition on which XP is
> installed.
>
> The problem didn't stop, just became less frequent. In fact, sometimes the
> paging file is reseted on c:. I lived with this problem cheating XP for a
> long time. I just set the paging file on C: with 20MB and on D with aGB.
>
> Now, for some other not clear reason the trick doesn't work anymore.
> Sometimes suddenly the paging file is realocated on C with 1GB... enough to
> run out of space.
>
> Obiously the solution will be removing the partition BUT I would like to
> understand WHY this is happening.
> I found sometimes this happen after Microsoft updates itself.
>
> Do you have any suggestion to stop, to understand or at least to find a way
> to understand this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Ale

Ps..
Something else to try, "Oops",
apart from the windows directory, what else do you have on C:, do you need all those programs? Think about deleting the ones you don't use anymore, look to see if you can 'loose' bits of 'Windows' from the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' in Control Panel.
Of course you could always upgrade (bigger HDD, more RAM)

"Opps" wrote:

> Hi... it is a long time I have a serious problem involving my paging file.
> I have a ThinkPad A31 and was delivered by default with a small partition C
> Unfortunatly my sysman decided to keep it and very soon I discovered an
> annoying bug of XP. If this partition runs out of space it crashes.
>
> Well, after a while I relized that the problem was tha paging file, so I
> just realocated space for swapping on d:, same partition on which XP is
> installed.
>
> The problem didn't stop, just became less frequent. In fact, sometimes the
> paging file is reseted on c:. I lived with this problem cheating XP for a
> long time. I just set the paging file on C: with 20MB and on D with aGB.
>
> Now, for some other not clear reason the trick doesn't work anymore.
> Sometimes suddenly the paging file is realocated on C with 1GB... enough to
> run out of space.
>
> Obiously the solution will be removing the partition BUT I would like to
> understand WHY this is happening.
> I found sometimes this happen after Microsoft updates itself.
>
> Do you have any suggestion to stop, to understand or at least to find a way
> to understand this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Ale

Well... there is a misunderstandings. My OS is on D. I WANT my paging file
on D. It stays on D, but sometimes it reset on C with the dimensions that
were previously set on D. Doesn't matter how much space I have on C, this is
strange. BUT anyaway now I start to have a doubt, and I tried... My profile
is an administrator one. But I have another administrator profile. Now I
reset in all the ad profile the paging file on D. This is anyway a bug of
the system because resetting the paging file to a different partition,
without neighter informing IT is a problem PER SE. Well... HDD/RAM space in
this case is not an issue. On D I have several free GBs and I have 1GB of
RAM... it look like a software bug...

"J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ps..
> Something else to try, "Oops",
> apart from the windows directory, what else do you have on C:, do you need
all those programs? Think about deleting the ones you don't use anymore,
look to see if you can 'loose' bits of 'Windows' from the 'Add/Remove
Windows Components' in Control Panel.
> Of course you could always upgrade (bigger HDD, more RAM)
>
> "Opps" wrote:
>
> > Hi... it is a long time I have a serious problem involving my paging
file.
> > I have a ThinkPad A31 and was delivered by default with a small
partition C
> > Unfortunatly my sysman decided to keep it and very soon I discovered an
> > annoying bug of XP. If this partition runs out of space it crashes.
> >
> > Well, after a while I relized that the problem was tha paging file, so I
> > just realocated space for swapping on d:, same partition on which XP is
> > installed.
> >
> > The problem didn't stop, just became less frequent. In fact, sometimes
the
> > paging file is reseted on c:. I lived with this problem cheating XP for
> > long time. I just set the paging file on C: with 20MB and on D with aGB.
> >
> > Now, for some other not clear reason the trick doesn't work anymore.
> > Sometimes suddenly the paging file is realocated on C with 1GB... enough
> > run out of space.
> >
> > Obiously the solution will be removing the partition BUT I would like to
> > understand WHY this is happening.
> > I found sometimes this happen after Microsoft updates itself.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestion to stop, to understand or at least to find a
way
> > to understand this problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ale

Hi,
Sorry about the misunderstanding but in my limited knowledge of computers, the OS is 99/100 set on the C: drive/partition. So my guess is that one of your programs/installations is pointing to C: for it's updates/log files maybe.
I'm thinking also, system restore might be setting it's restore logs/points on your C: partition. Therefore diminishing the space on C: every time it sets a restore point, which is usually after a deletion/addition/change to the system/program files.
This is all guesswork you understand, so until one of the experts pick up this thread, I'll wish you best of luck.
J.J.