Sign in with
Your question

Ecs K7S5A wont accept ddr memory help:(

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2002 12:34:58 PM

the motherboar i have is the ecs k7s5a with the sis 735 chipset. it has both ddr and sdram slots on it. i tried 256mb pc2100 ddr mem but the motherboard doesnt boot or anything, i tried a 16mb sdram and it boots up and gives me the post, do i have to do something in the bios for it to accept the ddr mem? i hope i bought the right kind the motherboard said it accepts 200/266 mem 2.5v unbuffered non ecc something like that and i made sure thats what the memory was..

Bill Gates might be Richer but at least I can dress myself
August 9, 2002 12:41:56 PM

a few things:

was it seated correctly? Are you sure it works? Did you have the SDRAM in at the same time (shouldn't)? Were there any beeps?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 9, 2002 12:55:56 PM

Are you using generic ddram? What sucks about the k7s5a is that it only works with "high quality" parts. Try buying a name brand like crucial or corsair or something (there is a list of ddram manu. in the manual). Unfortunately, ECS didn't realize that buying high quality parts defeats the purpose of buying a value motherboard.
Related resources
August 9, 2002 1:47:11 PM

Boot the system with the SDRAM and then flash the BIOS with the newest version (you can find this on the ECS webiste).

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek:  .
August 9, 2002 3:21:01 PM

You are absolutely right.

ECS is a fraud. They offer attractive features and very cheap price. At last the system built with ECS mobo don't remain inexpensive and the buyer gets nothing but headaches and at last, a sucking mobo in his system.
August 10, 2002 2:59:31 PM

Sometimes work with K7S5A: (if it doesn’t, just claim for warranty)
Install DDR
Clear CMOS
Boot up

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>
!