HP Laserjet 4ml DPI

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 22, 2004 7:57:20 PM

I bought a LaserJet without manual and no software. I downloaded the drivers
on the internet for my XP Pro and is working. However the resolution is set
only to 300 dpi. and I can not find any setting to increase it. Pictures
print out very dotty and low in resolution. There is any way to change a
setting or software -- that I do not have, to increase the resolution on the
pictures?
Thanks,

More about : laserjet 4ml dpi

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 4:05:08 AM

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:57:20 GMT, "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>I bought a LaserJet without manual and no software. I downloaded the drivers
>on the internet for my XP Pro and is working. However the resolution is set
>only to 300 dpi. and I can not find any setting to increase it. Pictures
>print out very dotty and low in resolution. There is any way to change a
>setting or software -- that I do not have, to increase the resolution on the
>pictures?

300 DPI is all that the LJ4ML will do. It was released right at the very
end of the 300 DPI generation and, IIRC, shares a toner cartridge with
600 DPI close relatives.

One thing you can do is to check your dithering setting in the printer
setup. You may find that the "error diffusion" setting gives better
results than the default ordered dither. You can also play with the
print density and RET (resolution enhancement technology) settings but
the dither will probably have the greatest effect. (BTW, these settings
can be accessed from the "properties" popup for the printer.)

Generally, you'll get better graphics with an inkjet than with a laser.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
April 23, 2004 5:44:19 AM

"Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message news:<AXRhc.6984$e4.6283@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I bought a LaserJet without manual and no software. I downloaded the drivers
> on the internet for my XP Pro and is working. However the resolution is set
> only to 300 dpi. and I can not find any setting to increase it. Pictures
> print out very dotty and low in resolution. There is any way to change a
> setting or software -- that I do not have, to increase the resolution on the
> pictures?

No, the 4ML is 300 DPI, that's it.
However, note that it suports PostScript as well as PCL. especially
iff you do any DTP use the 4ML PostScript driver (there are two
drivers, one for each mode) that comes with Windows.
April 23, 2004 9:22:32 AM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:05:08 GMT, Rich Webb <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:57:20 GMT, "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I bought a LaserJet without manual and no software. I downloaded the drivers
>>on the internet for my XP Pro and is working. However the resolution is set
>>only to 300 dpi. and I can not find any setting to increase it. Pictures
>>print out very dotty and low in resolution. There is any way to change a
>>setting or software -- that I do not have, to increase the resolution on the
>>pictures?
>
> 300 DPI is all that the LJ4ML will do. It was released right at the very
> end of the 300 DPI generation and, IIRC, shares a toner cartridge with
> 600 DPI close relatives.

I have a 4L which must be a step down from the 4ML, but it does an
excellent job printing fonts or vecter graphics in Linux and Win98se,
because it does 600 dpi smoothing of the 300 dpi input. Naturally it will
not do grayscale or raster images as fine as a modern 1200 dpi printer
(dots are noticeable). It has been very reliable for many years once I
got past some problems with its initial drivers/status monitor software.
So I have not felt any urge to replace it.

> One thing you can do is to check your dithering setting in the printer
> setup. You may find that the "error diffusion" setting gives better
> results than the default ordered dither. You can also play with the
> print density and RET (resolution enhancement technology) settings but
> the dither will probably have the greatest effect. (BTW, these settings
> can be accessed from the "properties" popup for the printer.)
>
> Generally, you'll get better graphics with an inkjet than with a laser.

Especially a color inkjet.

April 25, 2004 3:38:10 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:22:32 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David
Efflandt) wrote:

>I have a 4L which must be a step down from the 4ML,

Nah, the only difference is that the "M" mod (for "Mac", probably) adds
a PostScript interpreter in addition to the HP PCL engine. Oh, and way
too much to the price; I can't believe I spend that much on a printer.
OTOH, that was back when HP was still the real HP. If I can convince the
cats *not* to sleep on it, I'll probably be able to keep it going
indefinitely.

>, but it does an
>excellent job printing fonts or vecter graphics in Linux and Win98se,
>because it does 600 dpi smoothing of the 300 dpi input.

Yup, as a "home" printer it does a great job.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
April 27, 2004 11:16:09 PM

Rich Webb <bbew.ar@mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote in message news:<288n80p1amnl965np59f66pj90pvajqdlj@4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:22:32 +0000 (UTC), efflandt@xnet.com (David
> Efflandt) wrote:
>
> >I have a 4L which must be a step down from the 4ML,
>
> Nah, the only difference is that the "M" mod (for "Mac", probably) adds
> a PostScript interpreter in addition to the HP PCL engine.

Additionally, it has more RAM (PostScript needs it, but the PCL
personality can also use it) and also a Mac printer port (which can
supposedly be connected simultaneously) -- but current Macs (G4 or
later, iMacs) don't have this port.

I got one the day they came out, it was the cheapest PS laser
available. I used it for several years, 40k pages or so, still going
when I left it with the job. Paper handling was acceptable, occasional
jams but easy to clear (pop the lid, pull out toner, yank out paper),
but I was stressing it with 200+ page jobs.
!