Asus A7V333 fried my power supply?

Intrepid4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently purchased a all the components necessary to build a new computer. The pertinent parts to this question are a A7V333 motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 1.73, and an Antech Truepower 430watt power supply. I installed all the parts and tried powering it up.

Nothing happened. No fans, no startup, no post, nothing. All I got was a low volume, high pitched, dog-whistle type noise from my power supply. So I messed around with the hardware trying to get it to work. Spent two hours and got nowhere. So I disconnected everything from the ps except the mobo and turned it on one last time. After about two minutes the ps starts to give me quite a show. Fizzling sounds, flashes of light, a horrible odor, and smoke.

Figuring it was a defective ps all along, I run out to the nearby computer store for a quick fix and grab a 400watt generic. Hook it up and get once again the bad odor, smoke, and this time a momentary movement of the fan. Called the Antec tech support, they say its the mobo.
Anyone have a second opinion or know what's going on? Not once did the led's even flicker, no fan movement (except stated above), not even the POST. PLEASE HELP!

here are my components: 2 256Mb DDR, 2 Western Digital 80 gig hds, DVD-ROM,CDRW,Asus A7V333, Antec Truepower 430 ps(deceased), AMD athlon XP 2100 (1.73 gh).

For a start don't try anymore generix PSUs.

I would certainly suspect the mobo, as you've had problems with both. Take it back for an exchange.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

svol

Champion
Well it must be the mobo shorting out (you might want to check if it isn't touching the case)... it is too much coincedence that you have two bad PSUs.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .