Andy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I've put together a system for myself and one for a friend:
p4 3.0 on gigabyte
amd 64 3000+ on msi k8t neo
Both originally had 80gig wd 7200 rpm harddrives with xp loaded as the os and both worked fine. But then we thought why not get a raptor 36 10000x each and spice things up a bit ;) and so we had to format both and install the os on the faster raptor. When I boot with just the raptor connected I'm good. I can plug the 80 in while windows is loaded and access the partitions on both drives. But when I try to boot with both drives plugged in (sata) I originally got a message on boot saying NTLDR missing and it hangs. I figured it was something to do with both drives at one point being used for boot drives so I used this lifeboat utility from wd to reformat and repartition the 80's as secondary storage. Now on boot I get "error loading os". With hesitation I flashed the bios on the k8t neo with no luck. What have I done!?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Your best bet is to re-format both HDDs and reinstall the OS on the Raptor.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
WD 60GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Your problem is caused by a little knowledge. That's a dangerous thing. The root partition on both drives is set 'Active' for booting, a sure recipe for disaster. The machine can't figure out which one to boot from.

I'm not sure that the partition on the 80 gig can be set as inactive without a repartition, but owning a copy of PowerQuest Partition Magic or some such partition manager would be a plus. Especially if you intend to keep messing around in the future.

The problem now is that the boot.ini file on the Raptor is set, I bet, to look to the 80 gig drive as the boot partition. Use Notepad to ssorrect that.

<font color=green>===</font color=green> Never assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>====</font color=green>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peartree on 05/01/04 04:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>