What versions of XP exist?

What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most current one.

Thanks,

Bart
23 answers Last reply
More about what versions exist

    Bart;
    There is only one in the sense you mean.
    They are all Build 2600.
    If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
    download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
    will be identical.

    There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
    > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    current one.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bart

    Thanks for the reply. I guess I should explain what I saw. Some computer store on pricewatch.com had XP for sale and it said "2002 version". I was wondering if this was different from, let's say a 2004 version? maybe?

    Thanks again,

    Bart

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Bart;
    > There is only one in the sense you mean.
    > They are all Build 2600.
    > If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
    > download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
    > will be identical.
    >
    > There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
    > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > current one.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bart

    As Jupiter said, if updated, it makes no difference. The only thing that
    would be different between an older version and the newest release would be
    the inclusion of SP1/1a. All it takes to make them all the same is, run
    Windows Update and take all available critical updates. XP home and Pro are
    somewhat different but, I don't think that was the question.

    HTH, JAX

    > Thanks for the reply. I guess I should explain what I saw. Some computer
    store on pricewatch.com had XP for sale and it said "2002 version". I was
    wondering if this was different from, let's say a 2004 version? maybe?

    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Bart
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Bart;
    > > There is only one in the sense you mean.
    > > They are all Build 2600.
    > > If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
    > > download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
    > > will be identical.
    > >
    > > There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
    > > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > > current one.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Bart

    There are two 'types' of xp,
    Home & Professional

    Pro costs a little more but in my
    experience, it is well worth it.
    GO PRO........
    all of us are still waiting for
    service pack 2 which may be out by
    the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    come out last winter)

    Bob M.

    "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote:

    >There are two 'types' of xp,
    >Home & Professional
    >
    >Pro costs a little more but in my
    >experience, it is well worth it.
    >GO PRO........
    >all of us are still waiting for
    >service pack 2 which may be out by
    >the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    >come out last winter)

    There is no need for or value in purchasing XP Pro rather than XP Home
    unless you have an actual or possible need for one of the features or
    functions that are found only in XP Pro. Most, but not all, of these
    items that are unique to XP Pro are concerned with large scale
    networks and advanced security.

    Other than these items the two versions are identical and are produced
    from the same source code base. There is zero difference in
    performance or stability between the two versions.

    Which version of Windows XP?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    One additional difference which is not discussed on these web sites is
    that XP Pro allows 10 concurrent logins to a shared resource in a
    peer-to-peer network setting whereas XP Home is limited to 5
    concurrent logins.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most current one.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bart

    The latest versions of Windows XP will have the notation "includes
    service pack 1a" on the carton.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    To add to the other comments, make sure you get a retail version instead of
    an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be illegal because
    they are supposed to come with a particular computer, but will only install
    as a clean install.

    "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    current one.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bart

    What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
    "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
    > There are two 'types' of xp,
    > Home & Professional
    >
    > Pro costs a little more but in my
    > experience, it is well worth it.
    > GO PRO........
    > all of us are still waiting for
    > service pack 2 which may be out by
    > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    > come out last winter)
    >
    > Bob M.
    >
    > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > current one.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bart

    Please get your facts straight before giving advice. There are several
    versions of OEM software:
    (1.) Generic OEM is published by Microsoft and is targeted at "Mom & Pop"
    computer builders -- you, too, may purchase this software when you buy
    qualifying hardware (typically a motherboard). This OEM version will not
    perform an upgrade from earlier versions of Windows; it must be installed on
    a clean hard drive.
    (2.) Branded OEM comes bundled with new computers from major computer
    manufacturers (Dell, Gateway, e-Machines, Compaq, HP, etc). These OEM
    versions are customized for the specific hardware on which it is installed.
    Typically, during installation of branded OEM Operating System software, the
    installation routine checks the system BIOS -- if the BIOS does not match
    the BIOS that the OS was branded for, installation fails with an error
    message along the lines of "the system board is not a COMPAQ".

    Whether Generic or Branded, OEM software, once registered, is forever
    wedded to the hardware to which it was installed.

    steve

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > To add to the other comments, make sure you get a retail version instead
    of
    > an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be illegal because
    > they are supposed to come with a particular computer, but will only
    install
    > as a clean install.
    >
    > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > current one.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bart

    What I said is accurate.

    What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
    "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
    illegal..."
    Are you sure?
    There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
    You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece of
    hardware...almost anything will do.
    Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
    And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.

    --

    > What I said is accurate.

    You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't appreciate the difference.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message news:8wyGc.33140$eH1.15886057@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
    > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
    > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > There are two 'types' of xp,
    > > Home & Professional
    > >
    > > Pro costs a little more but in my
    > > experience, it is well worth it.
    > > GO PRO........
    > > all of us are still waiting for
    > > service pack 2 which may be out by
    > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    > > come out last winter)
    > >
    > > Bob M.
    > >
    > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > > current one.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Bart

    XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require.. in
    what way is Home crippled?..

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
    (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
    appreciate the difference.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
    > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > There are two 'types' of xp,
    > > Home & Professional
    > >
    > > Pro costs a little more but in my
    > > experience, it is well worth it.
    > > GO PRO........
    > > all of us are still waiting for
    > > service pack 2 which may be out by
    > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    > > come out last winter)
    > >
    > > Bob M.
    > >
    > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
    > > current one.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Bart

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Type tasklist, you can't.

    "Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:6QyGc.20148$WM5.859119@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require.. in
    > what way is Home crippled?..
    >

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
    > (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
    > appreciate the difference.

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
    > > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > There are two 'types' of xp,
    > > > Home & Professional
    > > >
    > > > Pro costs a little more but in my
    > > > experience, it is well worth it.
    > > > GO PRO........
    > > > all of us are still waiting for
    > > > service pack 2 which may be out by
    > > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    > > > come out last winter)
    > > >
    > > > Bob M.
    > > >
    > > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > > current one.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Type tasklist, you can't.

    Aren't you being a bit overkill, saying that the omission of "one" feature
    "cripples" XP Home?
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.

    "Gordon" <GordonBP1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message news:uaNO0s2YEHA.3564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Type tasklist, you can't.
    >

    > Aren't you being a bit overkill, saying that the omission of "one" feature
    > "cripples" XP Home?

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.

    Your average home user doesn't even need to think about anything like that.
    Why should they? XP Home does what they want, no more, no less. So why is it
    "crippled"?
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    That's really going to bother the average home user.. as long as the games
    run, they can type the odd letter out, send e-mail, and print the contents
    of the digital camera to shiny paper, the majority of home users don't need
    Pro anymore than you need to take another 'stupid' pill..

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Type tasklist, you can't.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require..
    in
    > what way is Home crippled?..
    >

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
    > (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
    > appreciate the difference.

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
    > > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > There are two 'types' of xp,
    > > > Home & Professional
    > > >
    > > > Pro costs a little more but in my
    > > > experience, it is well worth it.
    > > > GO PRO........
    > > > all of us are still waiting for
    > > > service pack 2 which may be out by
    > > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
    > > > come out last winter)
    > > >
    > > > Bob M.
    > > >
    > > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > > current one.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Let me see. Individuals won't pay what companies will pay. Problem for MS as they want both to buy it. They needed to sell at two different prices (companies won't pay more than anyone else though) so they made a crippled version for you and kept the full version at full price for companies. The products have an identical cost.

    "Gordon" <GordonBP1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message news:OA4sP22YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.
    >

    > Your average home user doesn't even need to think about anything like that.
    > Why should they? XP Home does what they want, no more, no less. So why is it
    > "crippled"?

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Guess I was wrong. Does Microsoft actually market the OEM versions of
    Windows XP that are NOT tied to a particular computer? If not, who does?
    Thanks.

    > What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
    > "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
    > illegal..."
    > Are you sure?
    > There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
    > You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece of
    > hardware...almost anything will do.
    > Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
    > And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > What I said is accurate.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    >Let me see. Individuals won't pay what companies will pay. Problem for MS
    as they want both to buy it. They needed to sell at two different prices
    (companies >won't pay more than anyone else though) so they made a crippled
    version for you and kept the full version at full price for companies. The
    products have an >identical cost.

    Not for me matey, I've got pro. And I think you're talking out of your Ozzie
    arse. God these colonial convicts.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Microsoft does, to System Builders and possibly others.
    Often the local computer shop is a System Builder:
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

    --

    > Guess I was wrong. Does Microsoft actually market the OEM versions
    of
    > Windows XP that are NOT tied to a particular computer? If not, who
    does?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
    > > "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
    > > illegal..."
    > > Are you sure?
    > > There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
    > > You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece
    of
    > > hardware...almost anything will do.
    > > Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
    > > And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > What I said is accurate.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks.

    > Microsoft does, to System Builders and possibly others.
    > Often the local computer shop is a System Builder:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > Guess I was wrong. Does Microsoft actually market the OEM versions
    > of
    > > Windows XP that are NOT tied to a particular computer? If not, who
    > does?
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > > What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
    > > > "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
    > > > illegal..."
    > > > Are you sure?
    > > > There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
    > > > You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece
    > of
    > > > hardware...almost anything will do.
    > > > Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
    > > > And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > > >

    > > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message