What versions of XP exist?

July 5, 2004 9:26:01 PM

What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most current one.

Thanks,

Bart

More about : versions exist

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:02:16 PM

Bart;
There is only one in the sense you mean.
They are all Build 2600.
If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
will be identical.

There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
> What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
current one.

> Thanks,
>
> Bart
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:10:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should explain what I saw. Some computer store on pricewatch.com had XP for sale and it said "2002 version". I was wondering if this was different from, let's say a 2004 version? maybe?

Thanks again,

Bart

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Bart;
> There is only one in the sense you mean.
> They are all Build 2600.
> If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
> download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
> will be identical.
>
> There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
> > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> current one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bart

Related resources
July 6, 2004 1:01:17 AM

As Jupiter said, if updated, it makes no difference. The only thing that
would be different between an older version and the newest release would be
the inclusion of SP1/1a. All it takes to make them all the same is, run
Windows Update and take all available critical updates. XP home and Pro are
somewhat different but, I don't think that was the question.

HTH, JAX

> Thanks for the reply. I guess I should explain what I saw. Some computer
store on pricewatch.com had XP for sale and it said "2002 version". I was
wondering if this was different from, let's say a 2004 version? maybe?

> Thanks again,
>
> Bart
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Bart;
> > There is only one in the sense you mean.
> > They are all Build 2600.
> > If you happen to buy one that does not have the latest Service pack, a
> > download from windows Update will install the update and functionality
> > will be identical.
> >
> > There is nothing like they did with Windows 98 and a Windows 98 SE.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >

> > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:B42FD27D-D770-4221-8A07-A9FE20FA2EAC@microsoft.com...
> > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> > current one.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bart

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:26:22 AM

There are two 'types' of xp,
Home & Professional

Pro costs a little more but in my
experience, it is well worth it.
GO PRO........
all of us are still waiting for
service pack 2 which may be out by
the end of the year. (it was supposed to
come out last winter)

Bob M.

"Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
current one.

> Thanks,
>
> Bart
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:33:22 AM

"Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote:

>There are two 'types' of xp,
>Home & Professional
>
>Pro costs a little more but in my
>experience, it is well worth it.
>GO PRO........
>all of us are still waiting for
>service pack 2 which may be out by
>the end of the year. (it was supposed to
>come out last winter)

There is no need for or value in purchasing XP Pro rather than XP Home
unless you have an actual or possible need for one of the features or
functions that are found only in XP Pro. Most, but not all, of these
items that are unique to XP Pro are concerned with large scale
networks and advanced security.

Other than these items the two versions are identical and are produced
from the same source code base. There is zero difference in
performance or stability between the two versions.

Which version of Windows XP?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...
One additional difference which is not discussed on these web sites is
that XP Pro allows 10 concurrent logins to a shared resource in a
peer-to-peer network setting whereas XP Home is limited to 5
concurrent logins.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

July 6, 2004 8:34:09 AM

"Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most current one.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bart

The latest versions of Windows XP will have the notation "includes
service pack 1a" on the carton.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

July 6, 2004 2:36:32 PM

To add to the other comments, make sure you get a retail version instead of
an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be illegal because
they are supposed to come with a particular computer, but will only install
as a clean install.

"Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
current one.

> Thanks,
>
> Bart
July 6, 2004 6:17:40 PM

What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
"Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o hHcMhvYEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There are two 'types' of xp,
> Home & Professional
>
> Pro costs a little more but in my
> experience, it is well worth it.
> GO PRO........
> all of us are still waiting for
> service pack 2 which may be out by
> the end of the year. (it was supposed to
> come out last winter)
>
> Bob M.
>
> "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> current one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bart

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 10:02:45 PM

Please get your facts straight before giving advice. There are several
versions of OEM software:
(1.) Generic OEM is published by Microsoft and is targeted at "Mom & Pop"
computer builders -- you, too, may purchase this software when you buy
qualifying hardware (typically a motherboard). This OEM version will not
perform an upgrade from earlier versions of Windows; it must be installed on
a clean hard drive.
(2.) Branded OEM comes bundled with new computers from major computer
manufacturers (Dell, Gateway, e-Machines, Compaq, HP, etc). These OEM
versions are customized for the specific hardware on which it is installed.
Typically, during installation of branded OEM Operating System software, the
installation routine checks the system BIOS -- if the BIOS does not match
the BIOS that the OS was branded for, installation fails with an error
message along the lines of "the system board is not a COMPAQ".

Whether Generic or Branded, OEM software, once registered, is forever
wedded to the hardware to which it was installed.

steve

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> To add to the other comments, make sure you get a retail version instead
of
> an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be illegal because
> they are supposed to come with a particular computer, but will only
install
> as a clean install.
>
> "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> current one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bart

July 7, 2004 2:06:30 AM

What I said is accurate.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:34:57 AM

What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
"...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
illegal..."
Are you sure?
There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece of
hardware...almost anything will do.
Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.

--

news:o aNhGc8YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> What I said is accurate.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:25:34 AM

You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't appreciate the difference.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message news:8wyGc.33140$eH1.15886057@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
> "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o hHcMhvYEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > There are two 'types' of xp,
> > Home & Professional
> >
> > Pro costs a little more but in my
> > experience, it is well worth it.
> > GO PRO........
> > all of us are still waiting for
> > service pack 2 which may be out by
> > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
> > come out last winter)
> >
> > Bob M.
> >
> > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> > current one.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bart

July 7, 2004 4:25:35 AM

XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require.. in
what way is Home crippled?..

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
(for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
appreciate the difference.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
> "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o hHcMhvYEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > There are two 'types' of xp,
> > Home & Professional
> >
> > Pro costs a little more but in my
> > experience, it is well worth it.
> > GO PRO........
> > all of us are still waiting for
> > service pack 2 which may be out by
> > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
> > come out last winter)
> >
> > Bob M.
> >
> > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > What versions of XP exist? I plan to purchase it and I want the most
> > current one.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bart

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:01:53 AM

Type tasklist, you can't.

"Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:6QyGc.20148$WM5.859119@news20.bellglobal.com...
> XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require.. in
> what way is Home crippled?..
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
> (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
> appreciate the difference.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...
>
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
> > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:o hHcMhvYEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > There are two 'types' of xp,
> > > Home & Professional
> > >
> > > Pro costs a little more but in my
> > > experience, it is well worth it.
> > > GO PRO........
> > > all of us are still waiting for
> > > service pack 2 which may be out by
> > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
> > > come out last winter)
> > >
> > > Bob M.
> > >
> > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > current one.

July 7, 2004 5:01:54 AM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
Type tasklist, you can't.

Aren't you being a bit overkill, saying that the omission of "one" feature
"cripples" XP Home?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:19:24 AM

Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.

"Gordon" <GordonBP1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message news:uaNO0s2YEHA.3564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Type tasklist, you can't.
>

> Aren't you being a bit overkill, saying that the omission of "one" feature
> "cripples" XP Home?

July 7, 2004 5:19:25 AM

Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.

Your average home user doesn't even need to think about anything like that.
Why should they? XP Home does what they want, no more, no less. So why is it
"crippled"?
July 7, 2004 10:13:56 AM

That's really going to bother the average home user.. as long as the games
run, they can type the odd letter out, send e-mail, and print the contents
of the digital camera to shiny paper, the majority of home users don't need
Pro anymore than you need to take another 'stupid' pill..

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
Type tasklist, you can't.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"Mike" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> XP Home has all of the features that an average home user would require..
in
> what way is Home crippled?..
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You are particularly thick, aren't you. HOME is crippled. Pro is complete
> (for a client). Server is FULL. We realise you lack experience and can't
> appreciate the difference.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...
>
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > What experience do you have that leads you to say XP PRO is better?
> > "Bob M." <bob@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:o hHcMhvYEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > There are two 'types' of xp,
> > > Home & Professional
> > >
> > > Pro costs a little more but in my
> > > experience, it is well worth it.
> > > GO PRO........
> > > all of us are still waiting for
> > > service pack 2 which may be out by
> > > the end of the year. (it was supposed to
> > > come out last winter)
> > >
> > > Bob M.
> > >
> > > "Bart Boeckmann" <Bart Boeckmann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > current one.

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 11:20:04 AM

Let me see. Individuals won't pay what companies will pay. Problem for MS as they want both to buy it. They needed to sell at two different prices (companies won't pay more than anyone else though) so they made a crippled version for you and kept the full version at full price for companies. The products have an identical cost.

"Gordon" <GordonBP1@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message news:o A4sP22YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Type taskkill. In fact do anything that requires diagnostics.
>

> Your average home user doesn't even need to think about anything like that.
> Why should they? XP Home does what they want, no more, no less. So why is it
> "crippled"?

July 7, 2004 1:59:28 PM

Guess I was wrong. Does Microsoft actually market the OEM versions of
Windows XP that are NOT tied to a particular computer? If not, who does?
Thanks.

> What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
> "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
> illegal..."
> Are you sure?
> There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
> You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece of
> hardware...almost anything will do.
> Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
> And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> news:o aNhGc8YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > What I said is accurate.

July 8, 2004 3:16:02 AM

>Let me see. Individuals won't pay what companies will pay. Problem for MS
as they want both to buy it. They needed to sell at two different prices
(companies >won't pay more than anyone else though) so they made a crippled
version for you and kept the full version at full price for companies. The
products have an >identical cost.

Not for me matey, I've got pro. And I think you're talking out of your Ozzie
arse. God these colonial convicts.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 5:42:00 AM

Microsoft does, to System Builders and possibly others.
Often the local computer shop is a System Builder:
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/default.mspx

--

> Guess I was wrong. Does Microsoft actually market the OEM versions
of
> Windows XP that are NOT tied to a particular computer? If not, who
does?
> Thanks.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > What you said is NOT entirely accurate.
> > "...an OEM version - which, if you find one, would not only be
> > illegal..."
> > Are you sure?
> > There are more legal sources other than just with a computer.
> > You can buy OEM in many places quite legally simply with a piece
of
> > hardware...almost anything will do.
> > Memory and hard drives are common but so are power cables.
> > And all legal even accepted by Microsoft.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >

> > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message