GA-8IHXP will not boot from ATA 133

jhferry

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Hey everyone,

My quest to get my system up is at a halt. First of al I have the GA-8IHXP as I have posted earlier. Second its a dual boot. I had both OS's working from IDE1, its the Promise PDC20276 chipset. In windows xp the promise ata driver comes up in device mgr as not working, windows me is fine. When I switch the cable to IDE3 I can no longer boot without the blue screen of death. What would cause this? DO I have to completly reinstall Windows? I dont plan to use RAID. DO I have to install the Raid driver as well as the ATA 133 driver?

svol

Champion
The ATA driver would be enough for Windows... you might want to check if there aren't any resource (IRQ, DAM) conflicts between the onboard Promise controller and some other hardware.
Getting the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website may help too.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

jhferry

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
I have gotten a little further. I now have the driver (promise ata 133) on both OS's. The problem is I blue screen randomly when either OS is loading. Is this just a crap driver problem? Also can I disable the promise driver but still retain the 133 speed since its hardware based?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be an IRQ conflict with another device, such as a PCI card. Go into BIOS and see what other device that IRQ is shared with, the info should be in the PCI PNP section.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
And maybe the manual can tell him with which PCI-slot it shares IRQ... then he can keep any PCI cards out of that.

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Either one should tell him, but it's usually easier to find in BIOS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>