Help! Can't See CD-ROM!

steerpike33

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I have a Pentium 200mhz CPU on an AOpen AP5TC Mobo with Win98, 64MB SRAM. I originally had one HD and a CD-ROM running fine. I added a second HD and now I can't see my CD-ROM.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey S,

Recheck your cables & jumper settings..........only one master & one slave per ribbon cable.

Peace Out................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

svol

Champion
On which cable did you connect the HD, is the jumper set correctly? And did you set up the BIOS to detect all the devices on the cables?

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

steerpike33

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
The 2 HDs are connected to the IDE1 ribbon cable with the boot disk as the master and the other HD as slave. The CD-ROM is connected to the IDE2 ribbon cable and it's jumpers set to Master.

The system sees the CD-ROM during boot-up, but once I'm in Windows98 I only see the 2 HDs. Is there something I need to check in Win98 or in the CMOS/BIOS?

steerpike33

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
The HD is on the IDE1 cable with the jumper set to slave. Not sure how to set the BIOS to see all devices. How do I do that?

The system sees the CD-ROM during boot-up, but once I'm in Windows98 I only see the 2 HDs. Is there something I need to check in Win98 or in the CMOS/BIOS?

svol

Champion
Check if your second IDE port is enabled inside the BIOS and that the drivers are installed in Windows (reinstall chipset drivers might help).

My watercooler contains so much water that the moon has influence upon it :eek: .

the3rz

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002
Just in case you haven't already solved this problem, let me offer the following guidance young grasshopper:

1st...don't combine HDD with CDrom on the same cable if you can at all avoid it. Put like devices on the same cable.

2nd...Put your primary and secondary HDD on the same EIDE cable in EIDE slot 1 (which should be labeled "PRIMARY EIDE"), and make sure that the cable is put in with the red stripe on pin 1 of the connector.

3rd...Make sure that the master (boot) HDD is on the first cable connector and the slave on the last and that the jumpers on the HDD's are properly configured for master and slave. You will have to look on the end (back) or on the top of the HDD for the jumper configuration. If it is not there, then go to the manufacturer's website and get it.

4th..,Put your CDrom's on the same cable and configure them the same as you did the HDD's but plugging into slot 2 (which should be labeled "SECONDARY EIDE"), and again make sure that the cable is put in with the red stripe on pin 1 of the connector.

5th...Make sure that your BIOS is set to "AUTO" on detecting storage devices and that when you boot up, you see all devices recognized.

To further test you system:

You should have system bootable floppies that load the CDrom driver(s). You can watch the boot up and verify that the CDrom driver's are detected and MSCDEX is loaded which allows your operating system to see the CRrom's.

Windows should autodetect all storage devices unless your jumpers or BIOS are configured wrong. If you still have a problem, try reinstalling windows or come back here for more opinions.

But just remember young grasshopper...opinions are like Adam Henry's...'cause everyone has one!

Live long and prosper, be kind to creatures smaller than you and most important of all...put the toilet seat back down when you are done ('cause that will allow you to live long and prosper)! :)(-:

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
This may be way out there, but you may need to add a LASTDRIVE line to your config.sys file. Go to the run menu and type msconfig. Click the config.sys tab and add a new line something like this...

lastdrive=k

just one possible solution

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

steerpike33

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
OK, I'll check that out. I don't have the chip drivers. I'll try to get them from the Motherboard manufacturer's site.

Thanks!