Blue screen with Centrino 2200BG wireless card when TKIP i..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 31, 2004 11:05:54 PM

Hi all,

I reported a blue screen with my Centrino card to Intel but never received
any answer.
In hope that it might help other people before they fix the bug (if ever),
I send it to the newsgroup.

====================================
Dear Intel support,

I am facing a persistent problem with my new Centrino laptop.
When I try to send a mail to an SMTP server, I get a Windows blue screen
of death.

In the blue screen details, it says the following :
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
* STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82400000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF8122988)
w22n51.sys - Address F8122988 base at F80AE000, DateStamp 404c5c4c

A Windows mini-dump is generated. It contains only a few strings, amongst
which :
HandleTKIPError.
My wireless link is indeed configured in WPA-PSK mode with the TKIP
algorithm.
I reconfigured my access point and my laptop without TKIP (unencrypted or
WEP), and it does not crash !

This problem is easily reproduceable for me. It is deterministic (it
happens in 100% of cases).
I can easily reproduce with a telnet to the SMTP server on port 25.

I have setup "Internet connection sharing" on a desktop computer on my LAN
and configured my laptop to use the desktop as a gateway.
I was able to sniff with Ethereal on the desktop.
What I see is that the SMTP connection is initiated, then when the
"Message body" packet is sent. This packet contains only one line with
the "Message: Message-Id" (62 bytes of TCP data). It is the last packet
sent by the laptop before it crashes. The SMTP server then replies with a
TCP ACK.

On my wireless network I observed that I have quite a lot of
retransmissions.
Another problem is that it frequently lost the wireless connection with
TKIP. Now I have setup WEP it disconnects rarely.

Laptop : Acer Aspire 2012WLCi (with Windows XP Home).
I installed the PROSet utility program which came with my laptop.
Access point : Linksys WRT54G

Adapter Information:
Name: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Driver Version: 8.0.12.20000
Firmware Version: 5.16.0

Best regards,

metatech
====================================
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2004 10:34:37 AM

metatech Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I reported a blue screen with my Centrino card to Intel but never
> received
> any answer.
> In hope that it might help other people before they fix the bug (if
> ever),
> I send it to the newsgroup.
>
> ====================================
> Dear Intel support,
>
> I am facing a persistent problem with my new Centrino laptop.
> When I try to send a mail to an SMTP server, I get a Windows blue
> screen
> of death.
>
> In the blue screen details, it says the following :
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> * STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82400000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF8122988)
> w22n51.sys - Address F8122988 base at F80AE000, DateStamp 404c5c4c
>
> A Windows mini-dump is generated. It contains only a few strings,
> amongst
> which :
> HandleTKIPError.
> My wireless link is indeed configured in WPA-PSK mode with the TKIP
> algorithm.
> I reconfigured my access point and my laptop without TKIP (unencrypted
> or
> WEP), and it does not crash !
>
> This problem is easily reproduceable for me. It is deterministic (it
> happens in 100% of cases).
> I can easily reproduce with a telnet to the SMTP server on port 25.
>
> I have setup "Internet connection sharing" on a desktop computer on my
> LAN
> and configured my laptop to use the desktop as a gateway.
> I was able to sniff with Ethereal on the desktop.
> What I see is that the SMTP connection is initiated, then when the
> "Message body" packet is sent. This packet contains only one line with
> the "Message: Message-Id" (62 bytes of TCP data). It is the last packet
> sent by the laptop before it crashes. The SMTP server then replies with
> TCP ACK.
>
> On my wireless network I observed that I have quite a lot of
> retransmissions.
> Another problem is that it frequently lost the wireless connection with
> TKIP. Now I have setup WEP it disconnects rarely.
>
> Laptop : Acer Aspire 2012WLCi (with Windows XP Home).
> I installed the PROSet utility program which came with my laptop.
> Access point : Linksys WRT54G
>
> Adapter Information:
> Name: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
> Driver Version: 8.0.12.20000
> Firmware Version: 5.16.0
>
> Best regards,
>
> metatech
> ====================================
Yeah, I am also reproing this with the latest (same) revision drivers
from Intel. Same callstack. It happens often when I use BitTorrent.
Hope they fix it soon.

--
DECUMCP
a b F Wireless

Any updates on this issue? I have an Acer TravelMate C111 tablet with
the Centrino. I can't run Limewire at all, it just crashes with the
same error described here.

DECUMCP wrote:
> metatech Wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I reported a blue screen with my Centrino card to Intel but neve
>>receive
>>any answer
>>In hope that it might help other people before they fix the bug (i
>>ever)
>>I send it to the newsgroup
>>
>>===================================
>>Dear Intel support
>>
>>I am facing a persistent problem with my new Centrino laptop
>>When I try to send a mail to an SMTP server, I get a Windows blu
>>scree
>>of death
>>
>>In the blue screen details, it says the following
>>DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUA
>>* STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82400000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF8122988
>>w22n51.sys - Address F8122988 base at F80AE000, DateStamp 404c5c4
>>
>>A Windows mini-dump is generated. It contains only a few strings
>>amongs
>>which
>>HandleTKIPError
>>My wireless link is indeed configured in WPA-PSK mode with the TKI
>>algorithm
>>I reconfigured my access point and my laptop without TKIP (unencrypte
>>WEP), and it does not crash
>>
>>This problem is easily reproduceable for me. It is deterministic (i
>>happens in 100% of cases)
>>I can easily reproduce with a telnet to the SMTP server on port 25
>>
>>I have setup "Internet connection sharing" on a desktop computer on m
>>LA
>>and configured my laptop to use the desktop as a gateway
>>I was able to sniff with Ethereal on the desktop
>>What I see is that the SMTP connection is initiated, then when th
>>"Message body" packet is sent. This packet contains only one line wit
>>the "Message: Message-Id" (62 bytes of TCP data). It is the last packe
>>sent by the laptop before it crashes. The SMTP server then replies wit
>>
>>TCP ACK
>>
>>On my wireless network I observed that I have quite a lot o
>>retransmissions
>>Another problem is that it frequently lost the wireless connection wit
>>TKIP. Now I have setup WEP it disconnects rarely
>>
>>Laptop : Acer Aspire 2012WLCi (with Windows XP Home)
>>I installed the PROSet utility program which came with my laptop
>>Access point : Linksys WRT54
>>
>>Adapter Information
>>Name: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connectio
>>Driver Version: 8.0.12.2000
>>Firmware Version: 5.16.
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>>metatec
>>====================================
>
> Yeah, I am also reproing this with the latest (same) revision driver
> from Intel. Same callstack. It happens often when I use BitTorrent
> Hope they fix it soon
>
> --
> DECUMC
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com

a b F Wireless
November 8, 2004 2:02:42 PM

I'm having the same kind of troubles with my Thinkpad T42 2373-3YG
(WinXP SP2, latest drivers, Intel Wireless 2100 3B Card, 128bit WEP).
Depending on the wireless driver version I'm getting BSODs (0x000000D1
and 0x40000080) or just freezes and reboots. This happens every few
hours of normal use. Using eMule isn't possible, because the issue
will show up more often.
I'm going to check this using another wireless card (Intel Wireless
2200 BG) soon. Maybe it's just a defective wireless card...

Andrew

Metavalent <metavalent@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<xIWdnZaHkuIcjx7cRVn-iw@comcast.com>...
> [...]
> >>
> >>TCP ACK
> >>
> >>On my wireless network I observed that I have quite a lot o
> >>retransmissions
> >>Another problem is that it frequently lost the wireless connection wit
> >>TKIP. Now I have setup WEP it disconnects rarely
> >>
> >>Laptop : Acer Aspire 2012WLCi (with Windows XP Home)
> >>I installed the PROSet utility program which came with my laptop
> >>Access point : Linksys WRT54
> >>
> >>Adapter Information
> >>Name: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connectio
> >>Driver Version: 8.0.12.2000
> >>Firmware Version: 5.16.
> >>
> >>Best regards
> >>
> >>metatec
> >>====================================
> >
> > Yeah, I am also reproing this with the latest (same) revision driver
> > from Intel. Same callstack. It happens often when I use BitTorrent

December 27, 2004 8:05:24 AM

I also have experienced the same crashes with Limewire. I out a
different card in and the problem dissapeared.

--
Shakey S Shakes
a b F Wireless

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:05:54 +0200, metatech <metatech@flashmail.com>
wrote:

> w22n51.sys - Address F8122988 base at F80AE000, DateStamp 404c5c4c

Today I installed the driver Centrino 2200BG version 8.1.0.25 (1VWC23WW on
IBM website) and the blue screen does not occur anymore in the same
configuration (also works with 8.1.0.28 - 1VWC27WW on IBM website).
But the promiscuous mode does not intercept any packets anymore (instead
of 0x2452 packets with previous version).

metatech.
January 4, 2005 8:27:03 PM

"metatech" <metatech@flashmail.com> wrote in message
news:o psj26ncbku07f89@ordi...
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:05:54 +0200, metatech <metatech@flashmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > w22n51.sys - Address F8122988 base at F80AE000, DateStamp 404c5c4c
>
> Today I installed the driver Centrino 2200BG version 8.1.0.25 (1VWC23WW on
> IBM website) and the blue screen does not occur anymore in the same
> configuration (also works with 8.1.0.28 - 1VWC27WW on IBM website).
> But the promiscuous mode does not intercept any packets anymore (instead
> of 0x2452 packets with previous version).
>
> metatech.

FWIW, Intel also has drivers available directly from their web site. I've
been using their 9.x driver for the 2200BG for about 10 days without issue
so far.

-Jonathan
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 8:31:32 PM

jonathanNO@SPAMsprintmail.com (Jonathan) wrote in
> "metatech" <metatech@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o psj26ncbku07f89@ordi...
>>
>> Today I installed the driver Centrino 2200BG version 8.1.0.25
>> (1VWC23WW on IBM website) ...
>
> FWIW, Intel also has drivers available directly from their web
> site. ...

Are IBM's drivers different from Intel's, or is it just a matter of
IBM only wanting to support the version that they've tested?

Will IBM's wireless management utilities work with "native" Intel
drivers?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com
!