Sign in with
Your question

DailyTech makes an very interesting parallel with Wii

Last response: in Video Games
February 23, 2007 5:33:54 PM

http://www.dailytech.com/Nintendo+Confirms+Wii+Hardware...

Quote:
The Nintendo marketing VP isn’t showing any of her cards, but one thing is for sure: there will be another Wii. The obvious things that Nintendo would do to make the Wii more attractive are add new colors, increase its internal flash memory, include rechargeable batteries for Wii Remotes and component cables. There isn’t much merit to making the console any slimmer or lighter, and high definition support isn’t likely to happen.

The Wii is attaining mass-market appeal, much like the iPod. It may only be a matter of time before Nintendo adopts Apple’s hardware redesign strategy.

They make a very interesting point in that last sentence. Being that the Wii is only $249, it's totally possible for Nintendo to adopt an "iPod" business model. Each and every year Nintendo does something new with the Wii... (like adding DVD support, or 720p, etc) So long as games are backwards compatible it could be VERY successful. I rather like the idea.
February 23, 2007 7:26:21 PM

It's a nice plan, but some people (like myself) will feel screwed out of the newer stuff for being early buyers or will play a waiting game with Nintendo, afraid to jump into the Wii pool, to see what new feature will be released next.
February 23, 2007 8:59:52 PM

Quote:
It's a nice plan, but some people (like myself) will feel screwed out of the newer stuff for being early buyers or will play a waiting game with Nintendo, afraid to jump into the Wii pool, to see what new feature will be released next.

Or the early adopters will just keep upgrading and ebaying the older version.

I've said it before, there are many parallels between Apple and Nintendo right now. I think it would be a blockbuster merger of brands... if they ever did it.
February 27, 2007 1:22:39 PM

If I could buy one with DVD support and at least 720p support (with a good upconverting HD scalar for DVD viewing), I'd ebay mine and buy the new version.

colours, rechargeable batteries, internal memory... meh. frivilous stuff in my opinion.
!